Tim Connolly vs Mike Peca

rickshaw

Regier is looking more and more like a genius.

I am confident with whatever he does with the goalie situation, he hasn't done anything to make me nervious. He will get the best deal possible for us. God i'm so thankful Regier is on our side.

Shhh...don't use "Regier" and "genius" in the same sentence on this board.

PTR

Things are going nicely now but it's a slippery slope...

The Sabres, so far, have accomplished nothing besides a nice run...It would take very little for the sabres to slide down to 9th...

Spoken like a TRUE Buffalo sports fan, expecting the sky to fall any minute. Well, the Bills prove why we thnk that way.

PTR

Hasek didn't purposly lose the game, but his head wasn't in yet as well. He could careless about the loss, if he had heart and passion and pride for the team and city, we would have won that series. Hasek is a joke.

I missed this the first time around.

But this has to the dumbest thing I've seen posted since the last time ToddKaz posted.

Like it or not.

This city probably wouldn't even have a team right now if it weren't for Hasek. What did Hasek do you ask?

Hasek won games.

Hasek sold tickets.

Hasek made the Sabres a contender.

Hasek gave the Sabres credibility.

All that while winning a Gold Medal, a half dozen Vezina's and a little trophy called the Hart Trophy. Oh yeah, his peers voted him the best player in hockey a few times.

Hasek is a joke? I wish the Sabres had someone that funny on the roster now.

Guest todd_kaz

Hasek was the greatest player in Buffalo Area Sports History

but $9000000 is tough to swallow. He never won us a cup but then again neither did Buffalo Sabres management help.

He wanted to retire here and lets face it THE BUFFALO MEDIA(ie. The Coach) practically ran him out of town because of his coulorful personalty. But hey isn't that what the media is for? ;)

I missed this the first time around.

But this has to the dumbest thing I've seen posted since the last time ToddKaz posted.

Like it or not.

This city probably wouldn't even have a team right now if it weren't for Hasek. What did Hasek do you ask?

Hasek won games.

Hasek sold tickets.

Hasek made the Sabres a contender.

Hasek gave the Sabres credibility.

All that while winning a Gold Medal, a half dozen Vezina's and a little trophy called the Hart Trophy. Oh yeah, his peers voted him the best player in hockey a few times.

Hasek is a joke? I wish the Sabres had someone that funny on the roster now.

I'll agree on all the Hasek accolades, but that doesn't exclude him from being an assclown.

I don't know, I block de puck. I wish Barnaby did run him. :(

I'll agree on all the Hasek accolades, but that doesn't exclude him from being an assclown.

I don't know, I block de puck. I wish Barnaby did run him. :(

I don't get all the anger.

He gave everything he had to this franchise. He saw where this franchise was heading and he asked to get out. How can anyone not want him to have at least a chance at a Cup. I'm glad Hasek went to the Wings and won.

Hasek was a bit off center. All great goalies are.

Don't blame Hasek for this teams recent troubles. He did all he could for this franchise. But what can I say. I guess he's no Toni Lydman.

I don't get all the anger.

He gave everything he had to this franchise. He saw where this franchise was heading and he asked to get out. How can anyone not want him to have at least a chance at a Cup. I'm glad Hasek went to the Wings and won.

Hasek was a bit off center. All great goalies are.

Don't blame Hasek for this teams recent troubles. He did all he could for this franchise. But what can I say. I guess he's no Toni Lydman.

Well said DeLuca. I agree completely.

Dominik was an amazing player who put the team on this back and brought us to the brink of a championship. He gave us everything he had for 8 years or so -- and what he gave us was incredible. He was 37 or so when he left. He knew his time was running out and he wanted a shot at a cup, which he wasn't going to get here. How can anyone begrudge him that?

However, I disagree with you on Pyatt. I think it's too early to write him off. He was playing hard before he got hurt. Lindy sounded pretty pleased with him at the time and also pretty disappointed about the injury. I'm not saying that he's proven anything (and in that regard I agree with you that Connolly has a long way to go before we can just assume he's going to be a really good player who can be counted on to deliver every night) -- but it's not too late for him to turn it around. What is he, 23 or so?

If Connolly plays the rest of the season like he's played so far, I hope you'd admit that he's turned it around -- and Pyatt could do so also. I think the effort and intensity that the team is showing can sometimes be contagious, which could help him on his return.

Go Sabres. What a great win that was the other night.

Well said DeLuca. I agree completely.

Dominik was an amazing player who put the team on this back and brought us to the brink of a championship. He gave us everything he had for 8 years or so -- and what he gave us was incredible. He was 37 or so when he left. He knew his time was running out and he wanted a shot at a cup, which he wasn't going to get here. How can anyone begrudge him that?

However, I disagree with you on Pyatt. I think it's too early to write him off. He was playing hard before he got hurt. Lindy sounded pretty pleased with him at the time and also pretty disappointed about the injury. I'm not saying that he's proven anything (and in that regard I agree with you that Connolly has a long way to go before we can just assume he's going to be a really good player who can be counted on to deliver every night) -- but it's not too late for him to turn it around. What is he, 23 or so?

If Connolly plays the rest of the season like he's played so far, I hope you'd admit that he's turned it around -- and Pyatt could do so also. I think the effort and intensity that the team is showing can sometimes be contagious, which could help him on his return.

Go Sabres. What a great win that was the other night.

I hate to be argumentative but a fan can appreciate what a player does for the franchise while hating every fiber of his being. Dom was a great a player, and despite all his charitable endevours he will never endear himself to the likes of fans like me. I saw through his thinly veiled good guy disguise to the real a-hole that he is and always was. :)

I hate to be argumentative but a fan can appreciate what a player does for the franchise while hating every fiber of his being.  Dom was a great a player, and despite all his charitable endevours he will never endear himself to the likes of fans like me.  I saw through his thinly veiled good guy disguise to the real a-hole that he is and always was.  :)

Fine, Dom was (and probably still is) a jerk. It doesn't in any way, shape, or form alter the fact that he is the best goalie to ever play for this team and was probably one of the 5 best to ever play (definitely one of the 20 best to ever play).

I don't have a problem with your position (liking his play and hating him), but I do have a problem with the position of other posters (hating him and thinking he was not 90+% of the reason the team was successful in the mid-'90's through '01). I'm also not real thrilled with posters that make ridiculous statements like he gave up the goal to Kasperitis intentionally.

Personally, I take his being a jerk with a grain of salt. The guy is a GOALIE for crying out loud. ALL the good ones and most of the bad ones have a screw loose. The fact that he did donate to charities and was generous to those in his community were indications to me that he at least wanted to be a good person as well as be an incredible goalie.

I think you are confusing me with someone else because unless I've been posting in my sleep, I don't think I've ever said that the team wasn't all Dom. In fact I'll take it one farther and say he was 99% of the team then. If you look at some of the players on the team then...Mike Wilson?

Let's not forget that Dom got PLENTY of offensive support in the 1999 playoffs -- until the final round. The Sabres through three rounds scored around three goals a game and gave Hasek an early lead in almost every game. But when it was time for the Sabres' superstar, who just happened to be their goalie, to take the team on his back and win a championship, he couldn't do it. He almost did, but a goal here and a goal there were the difference -- just like against Washington in 98 and Pittsburgh in 01. Is it an impossible standard to ask of any player? Yes. But not when you are talking about a superstar, a goaltender many believed at the time was one of the best, if not the best, ever.

I think you are confusing me with someone else because unless I've been posting in my sleep, I don't think I've ever said that the team wasn't all Dom.  In fact I'll take it one farther and say he was 99% of the team then.  If you look at some of the players on the team then...Mike Wilson?

Sorry, I thought when I said "I don't have a problem with your position ... but I do have a problem with the position of other posters ..." that I was not referring to your view(s) on Dom. I will try to be more clear next time. :huh:

Let's not forget that Dom got PLENTY of offensive support in the 1999 playoffs -- until the final round. The Sabres through three rounds scored around three goals a game and gave Hasek an early lead in almost every game. But when it was time for the Sabres' superstar, who just happened to be their goalie, to take the team on his back and win a championship, he couldn't do it. He almost did, but a goal here and a goal there were the difference -- just like against Washington in 98 and Pittsburgh in 01. Is it an impossible standard to ask of any player? Yes. But not when you are talking about a superstar, a goaltender many believed at the time was one of the best, if not the best, ever.

Yep, he got PLENTY of offensive support in the 1st 3 rounds. In those 3 rounds Dom gave up 3 or more goals exactly 3 times, one of which was the game he injured himself. The offensive juggernaut managed to bail him out exactly 1 time out of the 3.

Round 1

Buffalo 2 - Ottawa 1

Buffalo 3 - Ottawa 2 (OT)

Buffalo 3 - Ottawa 0

Buffalo 4 - Ottawa 3 (hey he actually got offensive support when he needed it)

Round 2

Boston 4 - Buffalo 2 (IIRC, 4th goal was empty netter)

Buffalo 3 - Boston 1

Buffalo 3 - Boston 2

Buffalo 3 - Boston 0

Boston 5 - Buffalo 3 (Roloson came in in relief for Dom)

Buffalo 3 - Boston 2 (that quitter played with bad groin)

Round 3

Buffalo 5 - Toronto 4 (Roloson in net)

Toronto 6 - Buffalo 3 (Roloson in net)

Buffalo 4 - Toronto 2 (again Roloson came in in relief and o did actually provide support when needed)

Buffalo 5 - Toronto 2

Buffalo 4 - Toronto 2

Round 4

Buffalo 3 - Dallas 2 (OT)

Dallas 4 - Buffalo 2 (IIRC, 4th goal was empty netter)

Dallas 2 - Buffalo 1

Buffalo 2 - Dallas 1

Dallas 2 - Buffalo 0 (2nd goal came near end of game on breakaway with Buffalo pinching)

Dallas 1 - Buffalo 1

Buffalo does not get past Ottawa without Dom in the nets. Plain and simple.

No kidding, the Sabres wouldn't have been as successful without Hasek. That isn't the question. The question is whether it's fair to look back at that finals team as Hasek and "19 guys named Peca" as was famously written in some national publication, I forget which. I don't think it's fair to say it was all The Dominator. Without their leading scorer, Miro Satan, for a month, the Sabres scored plenty of goals in the first three rounds, including at least one power-play marker in 14 of 15 games.

And they showed an ability to come back. At the most critical junctures, Game 2 against Ottawa, Game 3 against Boston, and Games 1, 3 and 5 against Toronto, the Sabres were behind but charged back to earn pivotal wins. Was that Dom scoring those goals?

But scoring early was their hallmark that memorable spring. In seven of those 15 games, the Sabres scored in the first five minutes of the first period to take a 1-0 lead. Another early goal came at 5:15 and still another at 8:29. Not surprisingly, the Sabres won 10 of the 11 games in which they scored first.

Get the lead. Watch the Dominator do his thing. What a TEAM.

Fans, please, PLEASE remember how great THE SABRES played.

No kidding, the Sabres wouldn't have been as successful without Hasek. That isn't the question. The question is whether it's fair to look back at that finals team as Hasek and "19 guys named Peca" as was famously written in some national publication, I forget which. I don't think it's fair to say it was all The Dominator. Without their leading scorer, Miro Satan, for a month, the Sabres scored plenty of goals in the first three rounds, including at least one power-play marker in 14 of 15 games.

And they showed an ability to come back. At the most critical junctures, Game 2 against Ottawa, Game 3 against Boston, and Games 1, 3 and 5 against Toronto, the Sabres were behind but charged back to earn pivotal wins. Was that Dom scoring those goals?

But scoring early was their hallmark that memorable spring. In seven of those 15 games, the Sabres scored in the first five minutes of the first period to take a 1-0 lead. Another early goal came at 5:15 and still another at 8:29. Not surprisingly, the Sabres won 10 of the 11 games in which they scored first.

Get the lead. Watch the Dominator do his thing. What a TEAM.

Fans, please, PLEASE remember how great THE SABRES played.

I didn't say it WAS all Dom. I said that the team DOES NOT GET PAST Ottawa without him. It wasn't Dom scoring the goals, it was Dom keeping the other time off the scoreboard often enough for the Sabres to score enough goals to win the games. Or perhaps you believe he should have had 4 shutouts that round and that a 96.3% save percentage (6 goals on 162 shots) and a 1.33 GAA were not particularily impressive.

In game one they were outshot 41-15 and still won the game 2-1. No, clearly Dom didn't stand on his head in that one; which by the way was the game that set the tone for the series as Yashin learned he COULD NOT BEAT Dom. Yashin took 8 shots that game, and Dom stoned him all 8 times.

In game 2, Juneau scored on the 1st shift and the 1st period was played evenly. Dom did give up 2 powerplay goals in the 2nd as his team was outshot 13-3 that period. In the 3rd, the Sabres scored on a pp and then finally halfway through the 2nd OT the team got around to scoring the game winner. Dom had 45 saves in that one.

In game 3, the Sabres did score 4 minutes in and added 2 more in the 2nd. Dom made 31 saves in a shutout bringing his total for the series to 119 shots against and 3 goals against.

In game 4 Buffalo scored twice in the 1st and then the teams traded goals through the 2nd and 3rd and Buffalo held on for a 4-3 win. Dom ONLY made 40 saves in that one.

You state that you hold him to an impossibly high standard, that he "earned the scorn of the fans ... several big-time chokes in the playoffs ...", "he will never be ... respected in Buffalo", "he is ... a Buffalo sports pariah" and that while playing with a groin injury he couldn't take the team on his back and win a championship. Well MAYBE, just maybe, if the team could have scored more than 1 goal between the 7:37 mark of the 2nd period of the 4th game and the 14:51 mark of the 6th period of the 6th game, then maybe he COULD HAVE taken the team on his back. The guy gave up 3 stinking goals over 3-1/2 games worth of hockey and it still wasn't enough. Did he get it done. No, he didn't. Did anyone else get it done or even come close. Nope.

You appear to be ticked that Dom couldn't will the team to a SC victory. How about being even slightly appreciative that the team had at least an outside chance to get one for about 6 seasons because he was here? No, we can't think like that, that might be giving that #@@%@W^& some respect.

This isn't about how the rest of the team played. This is about the ignorant attitude that because the team didn't win the SC with Dom that somehow it's his fault. This is about the ignorant attitude that it's not his "fault" they had the opportunity to compete but it's his fault that they didn't succeed AS A TEAM. With all the things he did on the ice, he's "a Buffalo sports pariah". What a joke.

Do you know what a pariah is? An outcast. I'm not stating my opinion that he SHOULD be a pariah, just the fact that he is. It's no secret. He's been booed every time he's returned to play in Buffalo, although most of the time it seems like he's too intimidated to play. Coach's decision, I know. Unfortunate? Yes. For all his flaws, I still think it was the situation with the trade and his subsequent comments that ruined Dom in the eyes of most fans.

Isn't the bigger question here, how great was Hasek? He played in an ultra defensive era, in which offensive talent was watered down by expansion, on an ultra defensive team. His stats have to be viewed with that in mind. And he never won a Stanley Cup. How great would Gretzky or Lemieux be remembered if their teams had never won the big one? Gilbert Perreault... great. How much greater would he have been if he had carried his teams on his back to Cups in 75 and 80?

Hasek supporters are going to have to come to terms with the fact that Patrick Roy will be remembered as the greatest goalie of this generation. And that Sabre fans will always have a soft spot for Joe Crozier, Donnie Edwards and Clint Malarchuk, among others, but never Dom.

Do you know what a pariah is? An outcast. I'm not stating my opinion that he SHOULD be a pariah, just the fact that he is. It's no secret. He's been booed every time he's returned to play in Buffalo, although most of the time it seems like he's too intimidated to play. Coach's decision, I know. Unfortunate? Yes. For all his flaws, I still think it was the situation with the trade and his subsequent comments that ruined Dom in the eyes of most fans.

Isn't the bigger question here, how great was Hasek? He played in an ultra defensive era, in which offensive talent was watered down by expansion, on an ultra defensive team. His stats have to be viewed with that in mind. And he never won a Stanley Cup. How great would Gretzky or Lemieux be remembered if their teams had never won the big one? Gilbert Perreault... great. How much greater would he have been if he had carried his teams on his back to Cups in 75 and 80?

Hasek supporters are going to have to come to terms with the fact that Patrick Roy will be remembered as the greatest goalie of this generation. And that Sabre fans will always have a soft spot for Joe Crozier, Donnie Edwards and Clint Malarchuk, among others, but never Dom.

As I replied in the other thread, I do not understand the attitude the fans have held for him. Peca is beloved (by most), but had the Sabres gotten ANYTHING for him during the '00-'01 season, Dom would not have wanted to leave. (My opinion, but it's based on statements and actions made by Dom prior to the Peca debacle.)

As to the question about how great was he, you know where I stand on that issue. ~7 straight years of leading the league in save %age, the 1st goalie since Parent to have a sub 2.00 GAA, 6 Vezinas, 2 Harts, 1 Stanley Cup, Richard Smehlik 1/2 of his top D-pairing.

In '93 he had the chance to go head to head against Roy and Muckler didn't let us see how he'd have done even though Fuhr was hurt. (Shame on John.) In '02, he did get to go against Roy head to head and beat him. Yes, Detroit had a better regular season than Colorado, but both teams were division winners and Colorado was the defending SC champs. The Red Wings beat Colorado and Dom beat Patrick. Dom shut Colorado out in games 6 & 7.

Thank you for letting me off the hook for saying Dom never won a Cup. Where is the "I'm embarassed" Smilie? But everyone knew what I meant, I'm sure.

Anyway, you make good points, and there's no reason to keep picking this old scab. I'm the new poster on the block and don't want to get into a huge tussle. But I do feel kind of like the rookie who goes after the best fighter in the league and holds his own. :D

Yep, he got PLENTY of offensive support in the 1st 3 rounds. In those 3 rounds Dom gave up 3 or more goals exactly 3 times, one of which was the game he injured himself. The offensive juggernaut managed to bail him out exactly 1 time out of the 3.

Round 1

Buffalo 2 - Ottawa 1

Buffalo 3 - Ottawa 2 (OT)

Buffalo 3 - Ottawa 0

Buffalo 4 - Ottawa 3 (hey he actually got offensive support when he needed it)

Round 2

Boston 4 - Buffalo 2 (IIRC, 4th goal was empty netter)

Buffalo 3 - Boston 1

Buffalo 3 - Boston 2

Buffalo 3 - Boston 0

Boston 5 - Buffalo 3 (Roloson came in in relief for Dom)

Buffalo 3 - Boston 2 (that quitter played with bad groin)

Round 3

Buffalo 5 - Toronto 4 (Roloson in net)

Toronto 6 - Buffalo 3 (Roloson in net)

Buffalo 4 - Toronto 2 (again Roloson came in in relief and o did actually provide support when needed)

Buffalo 5 - Toronto 2

Buffalo 4 - Toronto 2

Round 4

Buffalo 3 - Dallas 2 (OT)

Dallas 4 - Buffalo 2 (IIRC, 4th goal was empty netter)

Dallas 2 - Buffalo 1

Buffalo 2 - Dallas 1

Dallas 2 - Buffalo 0 (2nd goal came near end of game on breakaway with Buffalo pinching)

Dallas 1 - Buffalo 1

Buffalo does not get past Ottawa without Dom in the nets. Plain and simple.

Dave.

This why I look forward to reading your posts.

Does anyone even remember Game 1 against the Sens that year. My god. It was the greatest goaltending performance I've seen. I may be blurred by time but didn't Hasek face 40+ shots that game. I remeber it looking like a five on 0 shootout at times and Hasek flip flopping and dropping all over the place. That game shot the Sabres towards the finals. The Sabres where like the little scrawny kid that was befriended by the Big Bully. It was that game that told them they could win.

Hasek had faults. I'd like to all of these poster's driving records? Clean I bet

<_<

Hasek WAS and IS the greatest professional athlete to wear a Buffalo uniform of any type (yes even better then Toni Lydman who is missed in Calgary I read). He had a tremendous run as a Sabre. He made it fun to be a Sabres Fan.

Hasek owes the Buffalo hockey fan nothing. If you want to hate on somebody. How about those that let a HOF player like Ron Francis sign with another team because of a silly fourth year on a deal. How much stronger wuld the Sabres have been. Who knows maybe it could have been Francis with his foot in the Dallas crease in OT in game six and not the Dallas free agent Brett Hall. :blink:

Does anyone even remember Game 1 against the Sens that year. My god. It was the greatest goaltending performance I've seen. I may be blurred by time but didn't Hasek face 40+ shots that game. I remeber it looking like a five on 0 shootout at times and Hasek flip flopping and dropping all over the place. That game shot the Sabres towards the finals. The Sabres where like the little scrawny kid that was befriended by the Big Bully. It was that game that told them they could win.

Hasek had faults. I'd like to all of these poster's driving records? Clean I bet

<_<

Hasek WAS and IS the greatest professional athlete to wear a Buffalo uniform of any type (yes even better then Toni Lydman who is missed in Calgary I read). He had a tremendous run as a Sabre. He made it fun to be a Sabres Fan.

Hasek owes the Buffalo hockey fan nothing. If you want to hate on somebody. How about those that let a HOF player like Ron Francis sign with another team because of a silly fourth year on a deal. How much stronger wuld the Sabres have been. Who knows maybe it could have been Francis with his foot in the Dallas crease in OT in game six and not the Dallas free agent Brett Hall.  :blink:

This is scary, you, Todd, and I all seem to be on the same page about Dom. I don't know what that means, but I hope everyone's insurance premiums are paid in full. :o :P

Dom faced 41 shots in game one and made 40 saves. I don't know if that was his best game ever but it definitely has to be in the top 5. He was on during that game and the look on Yashin's face after Dom made the save on him from the side near the end of the game was priceless and told everyone that he had no idea how to beat Dom.

As I have posted in way too many other threads today, I have never understood why Dom got so much animosity from the fans, he was an incredible goalie, the best this town will ever see. I understand why the media hated him, fear will do that to you, but could never understand it from the fans. I guess I should rephrase that, I understood why some did not like him, but was always amazed by how many people didn't like him. I'm even more amazed that now, 4-1/2 years after he last played for the Sabres there are still some that can't get over it. Life is waaay too short.

I wasn't that upset that the Sabres didn't up the ante for Francis at the time, as I really didn't expect him to continue to perform at nearly as high a level as he did for Carolina especially for 4+ more years. I also thought that he was pretty pricey for what they'd be getting. I thought he had 2 good seasons left in him and then he'd be a shell of his former self. I was VERY wrong about that one.

We didn't get Francis :(

But we could use the Whaler's song when goals are scored. :rolleyes:

That was the best. :lol:

Da da da dadda da da da dadda da dadda da da da..................................  :blink:

Nope, the best was that stupid "woo-hoo" song after Robbie Ray scored against Toronto.

The 2nd best was hearing "Shout" after Tim Tindale drove a stake through Don Shula's coaching career.

Archived