Tim Connolly vs Mike Peca

rickshaw

Let's see. I recall many many people slamming the Sabres deal for Peca years ago.

How's it looking now?

First off Pyatt has more goals than Peca.

And Tim Connolly?? 7 goals, 13 assists for 20 points.

Mike Peca and his 31 year old body making $4 million a year, 2 goals, 5 assists.

This deal looks better and better every day. Peca was solid when he was in Buffalo but his best days are long gone. Connolly is only 24 years old!!! 7 years on Peca.

Buffalo needs to lock him up. He's got skill and he's starting to mature.

The Sabres made the right deal. They would have missed the playoffs with Peca too.

thoughts??

Let's see. I recall many many people slamming the Sabres deal for Peca years ago.

How's it looking now?

Mike Peca and his 31 year old body making $4 million a year, 2 goals, 5 assists.

This deal looks better and better every day. Peca was solid when he was in Buffalo but his best days are long gone. Connolly is only 24 years old!!! 7 years on Peca.

The Sabres made the right deal. They would have missed the playoffs with Peca too.

thoughts??

I do not blame the Peca situation on Darcy, I place that firmly in the criminals' court.

That being said, when you factor in the fact that Dom was perfectly happy to play in Buffalo prior to the Peca debacle and then held a gun to Darcy's head to not "get too much in return" for him after the Sabres neither signed Peca nor got anything in trade for him at the trade deadline with one of the best Sabres teams of the past 20 years; I don't look as favorably on the Connolly deal as you do.

Although at the point in time that the Sabres made the Peca deal I was unhappy with it, it is appearing to become a good trade. However, had the Sabres made A trade ~4 months earlier, I honestly think we would have had a parade through Lafayette Square. The Sabres would have gotten by the Penguins and OWNED the Devils that year (the Sabres outscored them 15-3 in the 4 wins). They also won in Colorado (in OT) with Marty in the net. Had they gotten Peca or fair value that season, I see the Sabres having had a better chance to win the Cup than they did in '99. (And they came within a goal and a game of winning that year, even with the league adopting a "the playoffs are different" attitude.)

How's it looking now?

thoughts??

But would they have beat Pittsburgh that year?

Going over the same stuff yet again. Peca's body has been hit with injuries. It would be like saying the Bruins made a great deal if Thorton hurt his leg tonight.

Connolly has played well this stretch. But not having Peca and inserting Gilmour may have cost the Sabres a shot at the Cup. So until Connolly leads the Sabres back to that point there really is no conversation.

Going over the same stuff yet again. Peca's body has been hit with injuries. It would be like saying the Bruins made a great deal if Thorton hurt his leg tonight.

Connolly has played well this stretch. But not having Peca and inserting Gilmour may have cost the Sabres a shot at the Cup. So until Connolly leads the Sabres back to that point there really is no conversation.

As this is the second time in a week you've said this, I'd say there is at least conversation. Irrefutable proof, no, but conversation, certainly.

I think in general keeping Peca would have been good for HIS career... whether it would have helped the sabres i don't know... he probably would have demanded more money later... he was a charcter guy for us and he's gone now... oh well. leave it be.

I think in general keeping Peca would have been good for HIS career... whether it would have helped the sabres i don't know... he probably would have demanded more money later... he was a charcter guy for us and he's gone now... oh well. leave it be.

I was about to reiterate for the umpteenth time my points on Connolly turning into a really good player, jury still out on Pyatt, Peca being overrated -- but you are absolutely right. Leave it be. I'm not going to vent any more on this unless somebody criticizes Darcy for that trade or starts carrying on about how great we would be if only we had the amazing Peca.

I'm turning the page. This team is too exciting and likable to worry about ancient history. Based on the Buff. News this AM, we should be getting Briere back sooner or later and Miller pretty soon too.

Watch out Ottawa. We are coming.

Deluca is bang on...

How is it that easy for some of you to forget the past?...

And don't put all the blame on Rigas when discussing the Peca ordeal...I used to think the same way until I heard many credible people involved with the NHL say that Darcy butchered the negotiations and is to blame...

Peca should have been treated with respect, not with the incompent manner that Darcy handled it with...

At one time, this team had something special, only to be taken away by Darcy...now because Connolly is coming around that means Regier is a hero?

Deluca is bang on...

How is it that easy for some of you to forget the past?...

And don't put all the blame on Rigas when discussing the Peca ordeal...I used to think the same way until I heard many credible people involved with the NHL say that Darcy butchered the negotiations and is to blame...

Peca should have been treated with respect, not with the incompent manner that Darcy handled it with...

At one time, this team had something special, only to be taken away by Darcy...now because Connolly is coming around that means Regier is a hero?

to most <_<

The Sabres had Pittsburgh down a goal with less than 5 minutes left in game seven. The Pens tied it up when everybody's hero Jay McKee failed to tie up his man on a rebound that Hasek gave up. The series was over when Dominik Hasek let in a weak shot from the blueline.

Unless Mike Peca could have dropped Mario in front of the net or played goalie, he would not have won that series.

I'm sure you were dancing all over Darcy's grave when Tim Connolly went down with an injury, but predictably you say injuries don't matter in evaluating the trade now that Peca is hurt. Peca has been completely healed for months now. When is he going to return to full strength? The answer of course, is never. He was a player that played 5 times his size and it finally caught up with him. What Darcy did was refuse to pay him more than he was worth then, and substantially more than he is worth now, which is nothing. Meanwhile, the 24 year old Tim Connolly is the number one center on this team while Briere is out.

I know it kills you that Darcy and Lindy are taking this team to the top. I know you were excited at the beginning of the year when experts said the Sabres were dead. I know you've been hurt by the way this team has climbed to 4th in the East despite long-term injuries to three of their best players. Can't you put that aside? Can't you enjoy the fact that the Sabres are one of the best teams in the league? Can't you admit you are wrong?

pwner...

How can anyone be wrong at this point?

Things are going nicely now but it's a slippery slope...

The Sabres, so far, have accomplished nothing besides a nice run...

It would take very little for the sabres to slide down to 9th...

Let's wait and see before declaring people wrong...

by the way it was Rhett who let Mario go...

Deluca,

You ask would Buffalo had beaten Pitt that year if Peca were around? Hmm, interesting question.

Had Peca been around, maybe it would have made Hasek feel better. It was clear to me that Dom was already gone in that series. The goal by Kasparitus was awful. Any goalie could have saved that, but Dom had already packed his bags.

So maybe if his buddy Peca were around, Hasek would have played to his fullest potential. Then yes, they would have beaten Pitt. But not because of Peca's play. Because of Hasek's play.

Go Sabres!

PS How happy are the Oilers with Peca's 2 goals and 5 assists?? Newsflash!! Not very!

The Sabres had Pittsburgh down a goal with less than 5 minutes left in game seven. The Pens tied it up when everybody's hero Jay McKee failed to tie up his man on a rebound that Hasek gave up. The series was over when Dominik Hasek let in a weak shot from the blueline.

Unless Mike Peca could have dropped Mario in front of the net or played goalie, he would not have won that series.

I'm sure you were dancing all over Darcy's grave when Tim Connolly went down with an injury, but predictably you say injuries don't matter in evaluating the trade now that Peca is hurt. Peca has been completely healed for months now. When is he going to return to full strength? The answer of course, is never. He was a player that played 5 times his size and it finally caught up with him. What Darcy did was refuse to pay him more than he was worth then, and substantially more than he is worth now, which is nothing. Meanwhile, the 24 year old Tim Connolly is the number one center on this team while Briere is out.

I know it kills you that Darcy and Lindy are taking this team to the top. I know you were excited at the beginning of the year when experts said the Sabres were dead. I know you've been hurt by the way this team has climbed to 4th in the East despite long-term injuries to three of their best players. Can't you put that aside? Can't you enjoy the fact that the Sabres are one of the best teams in the league? Can't you admit you are wrong?

McKee was not on the ice when Pittsburgh tied game 6 w/ ~1:30 left. It was Warrener that couldn't keep Lemieux away from the puck after it took the crazy bounce off Brown. Zhitnik was the other D-man and had his man tied up. There was no rebound from Hasek as the point shot went off Brown into the air and sat right in front of Hasek. IIRC, it took 2 pokes of the puck for Lemieux to get it by Dom.

McKee was not on the ice when Pittsburgh tied game 7 with ~11:00 left. Gratton won a faceoff then he, Barnes, and my personal favorite Smehlik (note the sarcasm) could not clear the puck and then Zhitnik broke his stick. Pens kept the puck in the zone for about a minute with the Sabres running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

I can't blame McKee for either goal. Sorry.

I don't know why people are bringing up that disaster of a series anyways?

We had it in the bank. How can Kasperities score from the blueline???

It's clear Hasek cost us that serious.

The guy didn't even try. You see how he left the ice after that goal? He was like oh well, it's offseason time!!!!

Here we go again with the "hasek didn't try" crap ... again, how did they win 3 games? Why did he wait until OT of Game 7 to tank? makes no sense. There is no guarantee that we ever woudl have scored even if he stops that shot by kasparaitis ... what if he does and 5 minutes later a shot from the point goes in off of someone's rear end, then who do you blame? Let it go.

Here we go again with the "hasek didn't try" crap ... again, how did they win 3 games? Why did he wait until OT of Game 7 to tank? makes no sense. There is no guarantee that we ever woudl have scored even if he stops that shot by kasparaitis ... what if he does and 5 minutes later a shot from the point goes in off of someone's rear end, then who do you blame? Let it go.

Dude get off your knees already.

Hasek didn't purposly lose the game, but his head wasn't in yet as well. He could careless about the loss, if he had heart and passion and pride for the team and city, we would have won that series. Hasek is a joke.

Deluca,

You ask would Buffalo had beaten Pitt that year if Peca were around? Hmm, interesting question.

Had Peca been around, maybe it would have made Hasek feel better. It was clear to me that Dom was already gone in that series. The goal by Kasparitus was awful. Any goalie could have saved that, but Dom had already packed his bags.

So maybe if his buddy Peca were around, Hasek would have played to his fullest potential. Then yes, they would have beaten Pitt. But not because of Peca's play. Because of Hasek's play.

Go Sabres!

PS How happy are the Oilers with Peca's 2 goals and 5 assists?? Newsflash!! Not very!

Rick?

You must be right. How could one of the best defensive players at the time have helped in a seven game series won by one single over time goal. How silly of me. I sure Doug Gilmour tanked the last shift the same way Peca would have, despite the fact Peca never tanked a shift in his life.

Connolly has a good 20+ games for the most part. If that means more to you then a player form a Stanley Cup run team. Good for you. I sure you will be very loyal to Connolly or what ever Sabre until the next guy comes along.

I sure you will be very loyal to Connolly or what ever Sabre until the next guy comes along.

Loyal to whatever Sabre comes along???

Listen Pal, I've been a fan of this team for over 30 years! I appreciated Peca very much, but I dispute the $$$ he was trying to get. He played hard and too big for a man his size. Sadly for him , it caught up to him.

I would rather have Pyatt and Connolly than Mikey. He's 30 going on 40, and his best years are well behind him. Who knows what Pyatt will do. Maybe he's another Chris Gratton, maybe he's a Bertuzzi. But Connolly is a player. Now that his head is on straight, and he's older and has confidence, I believe he's a bonafide scorer. Something Buffalo always needs.

Get over the past. I'm just pointing out that all those haters of the trade, should re-think that.

Peca is done! He used to be a two way player, one who could check you into the ground, and yet score. Now! He's a checker. That is it. Not good enough for the dough he's making.

Connolly is a steal at his salary.

As for Cup runs. The main reason they got to the Cup is simple. THE DOMINATOR! He was into it in 99 and it showed. The rest of the group played hard, but let's be real. Dom got them anywhere they got. Peca had a great 99, but maybe the Sabres saw into the future. A little man with a huge heart who was destined to start breaking down.

The trade was a good thing. Handled horribly, but in the end, the team is better off now!

I believe he's a bonafide scorer.

53 goals in 353 games? A -59 for his career? Connolly hasn't proven to be a "bonafide" anything.

He has had a nice first part of the season. But's he yet to prove he can do it for a half a season let alone a full season.

But I guess because Darcy Tucker took a cheap shot at Peca it somehow makes Regier smart? He knew it was going to happen? Someone else tried to sell me that bridge and failed.

As far as Pyatt.

Pyatt could raise the level of his game 10 fold and still wouldn't be a Chris Gratton. There isn't even a place for him when or if he returns. As long as Pominville and Thornburn continue show well career underachievers like Pyatt will have to find other teams who think they can turn him around.

Archived