Thornton a Snark

Taro T

To be fair, a bag of pucks is more valuable than Wayne Primeau.

While I am very unhappy to see Brad Stuart come into the division (without wearing a S(h)atanic goat on his chest), I am nearly as happy to see Wayne Primeau take up a roster spot in division.

Sturm and Stuart are nice players and all but Thorton is a league MVP. It seems like the Bruins got hosed pretty good. Maybe it was just a salary dump. Oh yeah, thanks Boston for waiting to trade JT until the Sabres are playing the freaking SJS. :angry:

While I am very unhappy to see Brad Stuart come into the division (without wearing a S(h)atanic goat on his chest), I am nearly as happy to see Wayne Primeau take up a roster spot in division.

I will guess Primeau was tossed in to even the salaries a bit. ;)

It's a good move by the Bruins. I agree with your though about Stuart. I wish the Sabres could have some how wrestled him away. But Regier just doesn't make those type of deals.

I'm pretty sure no GM in the NHL would trade away a league MVP in division unless your are getting the same type of player in return.

I was talking about Staurt.

Thornton may be on his way to becoming the next Chris Gratton. That player that every coach and GM can turn around even though others have failed.

Sturm and Stuart are nice players and all but Thorton is a league MVP.  It seems like the Bruins got hosed pretty good.  Maybe it was just a salary dump.  Oh yeah, thanks Boston for waiting to trade JT until the Sabres are playing the freaking SJS.  :angry:

I think it was a combination salary dump / realization that they had to improve their blueline significantly, especially with all the injuries they've been having.

I expect to see more of these sorts of trades this season as teams that are perilously close to the salary cap try to get some breathing room. The $29MM question is whether the Sabres will be one of the teams involved in a blockbuster.

I think it was a combination salary dump / realization that they had to improve their blueline significantly, especially with all the injuries they've been having.

I expect to see more of these sorts of trades this season as teams that are perilously close to the salary cap try to get some breathing room. The $29MM question is whether the Sabres will be one of the teams involved in a blockbuster.

Regier isn't really known for blockbusters unfortunatly... other then that MASS trade of grit for one player... Doug Gilmour... and even that didn't look so good... Regier would rather make smaller improvements bit by bit then risk so much salary and stake on one player... i think he learned from the gilmour trade.

I was talking about Staurt. 

Thornton may be on his way to becoming the next Chris Gratton. That player that every coach and GM can turn around even though others have failed.

While Thorton may be a bit of an underachiever, Gratton was a bust. In a much shorter career to date, Thorton has already recorded a couple of 70 point seasons, one 100 point season and is off and running with 30+ points in 20 or so games. The best Gratton could do was 62 points in a season twice.

I think the Bruins got the short end of the stick in this deal.

While Thorton may be a bit of an underachiever, Gratton was a bust. In a much shorter career to date, Thorton has already recorded a couple of 70 point seasons, one 100 point season and is off and running with 30+ points in 20 or so games. The best Gratton could do was 62 points in a season twice.

I think the Bruins got the short of of the stick in this deal.

anytime you trade a way a franchise player like Joe Thrornton your on the short end of the stick ;) too bad for boston... thats alright it'll make them a weaker team in our division.

The only way the Bruins truly get the short end of this deal is if Joe finally develops the heart and fire that the Bruins were hoping would emerge, but never really did.

Joe is a great playmaking center with size. But, the Bruins wanted that and the fire and passion that guys like Iginla and Guerin bring to the game and they never got that.

Add in the megacontract Thornton got and the Bs slow start and I'm not too surprised to see the Bruins move Thornton.

If Thornton does wake up in SJ, then they are going to have one of the best 1-2 combos at center with JT and Patrick Marleau.

Regier isn't really known for blockbusters unfortunatly... other then that MASS trade of grit for one player... Doug Gilmour... and even that didn't look so good... Regier would rather make smaller improvements bit by bit then risk so much salary and stake on one player... i think he learned from the gilmour trade.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but are you saying that Grosek and a pick for Dumont, Gilmour, and half of Gilmour's salary didn't look like a good trade? :huh:

The only way the Bruins truly get the short end of this deal is if Joe finally develops the heart and fire that the Bruins were hoping would emerge, but never really did.

Joe is a great playmaking center with size. But, the Bruins wanted that and the fire and passion that guys like Iginla and Guerin bring to the game and they never got that.

Add in the megacontract Thornton got and the Bs slow start and I'm not too surprised to see the Bruins move Thornton.

If Thornton does wake up in SJ, then they are going to have one of the best 1-2 combos at center with JT and Patrick Marleau.

Part of the original problem is that Thornton was never a real captain. like putting satan as captain here, franchise player sure, but not captain material.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but are you saying that Grosek and a pick for Dumont, Gilmour, and half of Gilmour's salary didn't look like a good trade? :huh:

hmmm maybe i am mistaken... i forgot about dumont in that one but i thought holzinger, priemeu, sanderson and a host of other grinders went out the door for gilmour... maybe that was the gratton trade that happend a mere 2 hours later at that years trade deadline. not sure exactly...

Both Sanderson and Roloson went in the expansion draft.

The reason Sanderson was exposed, is that they wanted to protect both Hasek and Biron.

They protected Varada though :blink:

Holzinger, Primeau and Sarich were dealt for Gratton.

why would anyone protect varada and expose sanderson... ugh... and as for the gratton trade im not sure if that one was a good decision. I would have kept holzinger and sarich and maybe packaged primeau with someone else... priemeau was a pest in the 01 playoffs when he played against us in the playoffs.

Ward and Varada were as good as Primeau.

Gratton turned into Briere. I don't think Holzinger and anyonelse would have. Not a Darcy fan - but I find no fault with this one. Sarich was playing no better than Campbell or Fitzpatrick did last season and no one would have minded losing them.

why would anyone protect varada and expose sanderson... ugh... and as for the gratton trade im not sure if that one was a good decision. I would have kept holzinger and sarich and maybe packaged primeau with someone else... priemeau was a pest in the 01 playoffs when he played against us in the playoffs.

There was no way the trade happens without Sarich going to TB. He is the guy TB wanted. Buffalo did NOT want to lose Sarich. The other 2 were included because Buffalo didn't want them and at the time Sarich was too young to be worth Gratton by himself (TB fans would have gone nuts) and just as Buffalo was hoping a change of scenery would get Gratton to play to the potential that TB and Philly had both thought they saw in him, TB hoped the change of scenery would get 'Zinger and Wayne to reach their "potential".

Archived