Sabres on DT last night

envirojeff

Watching the game last night, I heard some strange play-by-play from the Pitts anouncing team? Don't get me wrong, I agree with mixing it up with the local flavor but it left me scratching my head. When Pitts scored their first goal the one anouncer said something like "Momma needs a new pair of shoes" ...WTF??? I know that some people might think that "Top shelf were momma hides the cookies" is kinda out there, but it discribes were the shot went. Can anyone explain this?

Jeff

i don't know man... nothing can explain the FSN pittsburgh guys. I heard biscuit so many times... I heard how marc anthony fleury was the next coming of hasek. Take for instance that incredible save that biron had on crosby... That was "luck". However, a simple pad save on a shot from the point made by fleury was "amazing". They're just unknowledgeable homers.

Ugh, that guy with that horrible voice - he is certainly no Ric J. or Ted Darling for that matter...it drove me nuts all night. The only thought that I had was that the shoe comment related to a Buffalo player being juked out of his skates or something like that. But that didn't make sense b/c of how the goal was scored.

What was even worse was Trent Loney on the post game show...I wish that I could get the post game feed from the Buffalo crew - they are so much better.

i don't know man... nothing can explain the FSN pittsburgh guys. I heard biscuit so many times... I heard how marc anthony fleury was the next coming of hasek. Take for instance that incredible save that biron had on crosby... That was "luck". However, a simple pad save on a shot from the point made by fleury was "amazing". They're just unknowledgeable homers.

Don't you think fans in other towns feel the same way when they hear the Sabres broadcast team?

Don't you think fans in other towns feel the same way when they hear the Sabres broadcast team?

to a degree, but i've got friends from out of market towns and they, for the most part, don't mind our guys. As i was telling someone (maybe it's here in an earlier thread), the sabres broadcast team is definitely slanted towards the sabres when it comes to team coverage, and general knowledge. However, for actual play-by-play and analysis, the coverage is very much unbiased.

to a degree, but i've got friends from out of market towns and they, for the most part, don't mind our guys. As i was telling someone (maybe it's here in an earlier thread), the sabres broadcast team is definitely slanted towards the sabres when it comes to team coverage, and general knowledge. However, for actual play-by-play and analysis, the coverage is very much unbiased.

I've heard that from a lot of friends, in and from a lot of different cities, as well. Sabs get a penalty called against them, it's more likely than not that RJ and Jim will agree with and even explain the call. Contrast, for example, with the Caps or Rangers announcers, who cannot brook a penalty against their teams without seeing blood first.

I've heard that from a lot of friends, in and from a lot of different cities, as well.  Sabs get a penalty called against them, it's more likely than not that RJ and Jim will agree with and even explain the call.  Contrast, for example, with the Caps or Rangers announcers, who cannot brook a penalty against their teams without seeing blood first.

Rick and Jim will also do one other thing regarding penalties that is virtually unheard of w/ announcers in the States: they will say the Sabres got away with one when there was a no call in the Sabres favor. Granted they don't do that a lot, but when the other guys don't do it at all, I think it's impressive.

If you would have read my first post, you would have understood ( like EVERYONE else) that I was just looking for clairification on the hole "Momma needs a new pair of shoes" thing. :huh:

Jeff

Is that the same guy that tagged the term "scratch my back with a hacksaw" ? I was trying to explain the saying to my wife but pretty much fell right on my face. I don't know if the guy has any idea what is flying out of his piehole. Sometimes I feel like he's trying his best Chris Berman/Stewart Scott/Dan Patrick/Rich Eisen impersonation. :huh:

If you would have read my first post, you would have understood ( like EVERYONE else) that I was just looking for clairification on the hole "Momma needs a new pair of shoes" thing. :huh:

Jeff

You might want to pay attention next time. I was not responding to your post. I was responding to a what another had posted. It's what the white qoute box is for. I hope this helps you follow along. ;)

Jim Lorentz might not get as excited as some others, but he tends to be very fair and informative. I certainly respect his opinion on plays as much as any other color man.

You all should of had the pleasure - I mean misfortune- of having to listen to Gene Hart and Gary Dornhoffer from Philly night after night.

"Yes the other team scored, but did you see the way Clarke and Barber were watching from the bench! Amazing concentration, and the way they leaned over the boards........"

Jim Lorentz might not get as excited as some others, but he tends to be very fair and informative. I certainly respect his opinion on plays as much as any other color man.

You all should of had the pleasure - I mean misfortune- of having to listen to Gene Hart and Gary Dornhoffer from Philly night after night.

"Yes the other team scored, but did you see the way Clarke and Barber were watching from the bench! Amazing concentration, and the way they leaned over the boards........"

I don't know if it's true or not, but when I was living in the south, a friend of mine from Philadelphia told me that Hart nearly got himself kicked out of the booth back in the mid-'80's.

Apparently the Flyers were in OT in the playoffs and coming in on a 2 on 1. A beautiful pass was made to the winger, who now had a wide open net. The shot rang off the post and apparently the call from the booth was "so-and-so shoots, he ... hit the post, he hit the f***ing post!!!"

My friend swore that the guy really said that on-the-air.

He did. It was great. But he'd never get thrown off. Heck, it's his daughter now singing the anthem. My friends from this area that root for someone other than Philly - say it is because of how the games were announced that made them root against them. Our paper here has a "Flyers" section, maybe it mentions the other teams, maybe it doesn't. We didn't even get the full box scores until a few years ago. It was all Flers. Sickening.

I don't know if it's true or not, but when I was living in the south, a friend of mine from Philadelphia told me that Hart nearly got himself kicked out of the booth back in the mid-'80's.

Apparently the Flyers were in OT in the playoffs and coming in on a 2 on 1.  A beautiful pass was made to the winger, who now had a wide open net.  The shot rang off the post and apparently the call from the booth was "so-and-so shoots, he ... hit the post, he hit the f***ing post!!!"

My friend swore that the guy really said that on-the-air.

ok dude, time to do some mp3 or wav searching...

i'll trade you the "Where are the F---ing balloons? Drop the f---ing balloons!" on air tirade from last year's democratic national convention for whatever you find!

Rick and Jim will also do one other thing regarding penalties that is virtually unheard of w/ announcers in the States: they will say the Sabres got away with one when there was a no call in the Sabres favor. Granted they don't do that a lot, but when the other guys don't do it at all, I think it's impressive.

Definitely they do that, and I hope fans in other cities notice. Rick and Jim get excited about the team they cover, but it does not cloud their judgment.

Archived