Dressing Peters instead of Kalinin is a joke!

LabattBlue

I know the Sabres are in the midst of a nice winning streak and I know Lindy believes Kalinin is not playing up to his ability and I understand the ONE game benching of Kalinin.

That being said, to bench him for a second straight game and dress freakin' Peters instead is a JOKE. You can't convince me this was the right move. Peters played all of two or three shifts. He has no place on the Sabres roster and is stealing money from them. Dressing Kalinin on his worst day, is still better than ever dressing Peters or Campbell or Fitzpatrick. Even if you dressed Kalinin and let him sit on the bench, wouldn't that have been a better move in case one of the other blueliners got hurt?

Sometimes I really wonder about Lindy.

PS What did the Sabres see in Peters as a junior to make him worthy of a SECOND round pick? <_<

People always find something to bash Ruff for i take it?

Besides the 6 "games of death" where we played montreal twice, ottawa twice, carolina and toronto, without mckee and lydman, we've been a very good team. But no, let's all diss Ruff cuz that's the cool thing to do.

Kalinin has been stuggling and Ruff wanted Peters in. Who cares what or why, he's the coach.

I don't care if he dresses Mickey Mouse and Donald freakin Duck as long as they win. Why are you bashing Campbell? He's been one of their best Defensemen this year. Bad memories remain from his first couple of years but he is really coming into his own. He reminds me of Rafalski a few years back.

People always find something to bash Ruff for i take it?

Besides the 6 "games of death" where we played montreal twice, ottawa twice, carolina and toronto, without mckee and lydman, we've been a very good team. But no, let's all diss Ruff cuz that's the cool thing to do.

Kalinin has been stuggling and Ruff wanted Peters in. Who cares what or why, he's the coach.

who cares???? when im paying for tickets i CARE... i don't wanna go there and see a bunch of nobodies trying to win a game and then losing really badly anyway... i want to go there a see a bunch of somebodies winning a game easily over the other team and going home happy... if our coach can't have the sense of mind to put that kind of team on the ice with what he's got then yea we should be ripping him up... every ticket holder owns a tiny percentage of that team and deserves an explantion or at least there own opinion.

I don't care if he dresses Mickey Mouse and Donald freakin Duck as long as they win. Why are you bashing Campbell? He's been one of their best Defensemen this year. Bad memories remain from his first couple of years but he is really coming into his own. He reminds me of Rafalski a few years back.

Very well said.

I agree with you, i didn't even read his whole post so i didn't even see the Campbell bash.

It's crazy on how people are bashing guys based on what they did 2 years ago and assuming their playing the same way. Some goofball on sabres.com said we should send Connolly down to Rochester... and this post was made yesterday! :lol:

Campbell has been doing very well with the puck and in the new NHL you need mobile defensman and he has done very good. He has stuggled at times at his own zone, and thankfully it hasn't costed us much, but theres so many more pluses then negatives with this kid.

Besides, he still has the "hit" of the year for the Sabres. He plays every game like it's his last and it shows by the way he plays, to bash him is silly at best.

who cares???? when im paying for tickets i CARE... i don't wanna go there and see a bunch of nobodies trying to win a game and then losing really badly anyway... i want to go there a see a bunch of somebodies winning a game easily over the other team and going home happy... if our coach can't have the sense of mind to put that kind of team on the ice with what he's got then yea we should be ripping him up... every ticket holder owns a tiny percentage of that team and deserves an explantion or at least there own opinion.

LOL if you really think that.

Ruff gets paid tons of money to put a winning product on the ice. I'll let him do what he thinks is best when we're winning then some idiotic fan on a message board.

PS What did the Sabres see in Peters as a junior to make him worthy of a SECOND round pick? <_<

Peters being drafted in the 2nd round is a perfect example of what the team was about in the criminal years. The criminals had no intention, IMHO, of paying big money to any players that weren't goaltenders. (Yes Gilmour made good money (and he was the only one), but I believe the Black Hawks ponied up some cash and picked up part of his salary.) One way of keeping salaries down is to not have high scoring forwards on the team. During those years, the team did not draft any scoring forwards with size. Yes, they did draft Max, but I doubt they ever believed a guy that size would be able to score a lot at the NHL level, or for that matter, even make the NHL.

Look at some of the other forwards drafted highly in that era: Rasmussen, van Oene, Milley, Kristek. Not exactly a Perreault, Martin, Gare emulation.

Another way to keep salaries down is to have few veterans on the roster. The team consistantly was one of the younger ones in the league with the exception of the 2000-'01 squad. Even that team wasn't exactly what I would call a "veteran squad".

During Rigas' tenure, the plan was to win with defense. They had Dom and Marty in the system and added Noronnen and Miller to the fold. They did draft highly rated D men as well: Sarich, Tallinder, Kalinen. Heck, if not for the league ignoring a rule at an extremely inopportune time, the plan might even have worked.

The plan blew up when Peca took offense at the way negotiations were handled when his contract was up. When the Sabres did not sign Peca and did not get anything for him at the trade deadline, Dom decided that season would be his last kick at the can wearing a Shatanic goat on his chest. The key to the defense 1st strategy is having a world-class goalie between the pipes; when Dom left, they no longer had that.

LOL if you really think that.

Ruff gets paid tons of money to put a winning product on the ice. I'll let him do what he thinks is best when we're winning then some idiotic fan on a message board.

What I don't understand, is why you take this so personal and get so riled up about it?

Take it for what it is - forum chatter.

Very well said.

I agree with you, i didn't even read his whole post so i didn't even see the Campbell bash.

It's crazy on how people are bashing guys based on what they did 2 years ago and assuming their playing the same way. Some goofball on sabres.com said we should send Connolly down to Rochester... and this post was made yesterday! :lol:

Campbell has been doing very well with the puck and in the new NHL you need mobile defensman and he has done very good. He has stuggled at times at his own zone, and thankfully it hasn't costed us much, but theres so many more pluses then negatives with this kid.

Besides, he still has the "hit" of the year for the Sabres. He plays every game like it's his last and it shows by the way he plays, to bash him is silly at best.

My point is I wouldn't bench Kalinin for Peters, nor would I sit him down in favor of Campbell or Fitzpatrick. It;s not so much an indictment against Campbell, it's more of a statement about Kalinin.

PS Even though Campbell has been an asset on the PP, he is still a defensive liability and is a -7 on the season.

Instead of drinking the Ruff kool-aid, why not form your own opinion. Dress Peters and then play him for 2:30 or dress Kalinin? Sitting Kalinin down for one game sends the message loud and clear. No need to keep him up in the press box for two games. Over the course of an 82 game season he is clearly one of the Sabres top 3 defenseman and if you don't agree, who do you rank ahead of him.

PS This team hasn't made the playoffs in 3 YEARS. Why should Ruff get a free pass all of a sudden based on 20+ games?

PS This team hasn't made the playoffs in 3 YEARS. Why should Ruff get a free pass all of a sudden based on 20+ games?

He shouldn't. But this is the new NHL. This is the new life. We build our team, which was build by Ruff and Regier for the new NHL. Let's see what they have. I don't care about last hockey season. That's in the past. He shouldn't get a free pass for any means but he shouldn't be assumed we'd miss the playoffs based on him missing it previous 3 seasons.

I like what i see and hope they keep it up.

This is a new team, even though changes wern't really made, this team was build for todays NHL and i believe Ruff said it the pre-season something like, theres no middle ground, either we'll make the playoffs or miss it badly, there's no middle.

I'm not on here saying WOW Ruff is the greatest, lock him up for next 6 years. But i will respect the man and allow him to do what he does with the team he build and see what happens. If they stuggle, i will start to wonder, but from what i've seen nothing tells me this is NOT a playoff team and if we add one or 2 peices, we're not just a playoff team we'll be fighting for a top 5 spot in the east.

And isn't this the same Sabres team that everyone in the world predicted to finish bottom 5 in the league ??

Very well said.

It's crazy on how people are bashing guys based on what they did 2 years ago and assuming their playing the same way. Some goofball on sabres.com said we should send Connolly down to Rochester... and this post was made yesterday!  :lol:

Hit of the year in the NHL, Keith Ballard (ex Sabres' property) on Richard Park. Saturday night, Canucks @ Coyotes. Clean, and hard. I watched in in High-Def with the subwoofer on. I felt that hit in my house. Awesome.

Hit of the year

Archived