1/4 of the way through

Larry Playfair

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20051127/1064030.asp

They're 13-9-0-1 and in seventh place in the Eastern Conference.

Pretty much were i thought they would be, although the fast start got me over-excited. We definately need more production out of Drury and JP, but Campbell has surprised me. Vanek has only three goals, but his 13 assist put him fourth in rookie scoring with 16 points. Kotalik on the PP has been a very nice and unexpected turn of events.

I hope Miller can return to where he was, as I dont want to see the goalie controversy re-insert itself. I think Mika briefly showed he has more upside than Biron, but Biron has been holding his own lately.

My 1/4 of the season grade, based on my preseason expectations of barely making the playoffs, is a B-.

Getting 13 of 14 points and only being in 7th is a bit of a let down.

Overall. The Sabres have had a great first quarter. They need to stop those prolonged losing streaks. Where would they be if they didn't lose 6 of 7? They need players like Drury and Connolly to stay strong over the rest of the season. If Regier can go out and get a solid blueliner, the earlier the better, and the power play stays strong they will make the playoffs. That is if Ruff can cut down on the nights off. ;)

At the quarter season mark, here are my thoughts...

-With a healthy roster, the Sabres started the season 6-2. Without Miller for their last 7 games and missing Dumont, Briere and Pyatt(for parts of the seven games) the Sabres have gone 6-0-1.

-Connolly has been a pleasant surprise all season and Pyatt had looked better in the games leading up to his injury.

-Lydman is a better player than he showed early in the year. I don't know if he is a top 4 NHL defenseman on most clubs, but he is on the Sabres.

-Despite his improved play over the last two games, the correct move for Regier is to move Biron and keep Noronen. Package him with a prospect and/or #1 pick and improve the blueline.

-Vanek is everything I thought he would be despite his goal total to date. You can just tell when watching him play that he will be a 30-40 goal scorer for many years to come. The other thing that impresses me with Vanek is his passing and playmaking ability.

-I'm still not convinced that Miller can be a top echelon #1 goalie, but we'll find out when he comes back from his injury.

-Grier is an offensive disaster and should be relegated to the 4th line. Drury is slumping enough without saddling him with a linemate like Grier.

-I'm not surprised Gaustad made the roster, but I am surprised by how much he is contributing. Improve his skating and show enough offense to score 15-20 goals per year and he should be a fixture on the Sabres for many years to come. Maybe even captain material.

-Campbell and much to my surprise Fitzpatrick have been liabilities in their own end. Having them both in the lineup as part of your 6 man blueline is not going to cut it.

yer, that as well. i want to thrash those pen's. totally own them.

haha lets hope we can take em... but we all know biron's history with the pens... for some reason he just can't handle them or something... not saying he'll flop... but it could be dangerous... Defense will have to have its AAA game out

-Campbell and much to my surprise Fitzpatrick have been liabilities in their own end. Having them both in the lineup as part of your 6 man blueline is not going to cut it.

I didnt see this on my own, but the stats back you up. 12 pts but a -7.

Key Stats

GLS AST PTS +/- PIM TOI

5 7 12 -7 2 16:34

Thank god he is scoring or he would be a disaster. Way to ruin my "Campbell for MVP" thread!

Key Stats

GLS AST PTS +/- PIM TOI

5 7 12 -7 2 16:34

Thank god he is scoring or he would be a disaster. Way to ruin my "Campbell for MVP" thread!

This teams scores so many power play goals, so that skews the +/- a bit. He's have a much better season than that number shows.

Key Stats

GLS AST PTS +/- PIM TOI

5      7    12  -7    2 16:34

Campbell will always be a bit shaky in his own end. He has played MUCH better in his own end than in past seasons but I don't have any fears of ever confusing him with Mike Ramsey. :D

A big part of that -7 is being -6 vs. Ottawa. When the Sabres had a healthy defense corp in the 1st Ottawa game he was a -1. He was -5 when forced to play in roles he's really not well suited for, i.e., top 4 d-man against a team that can roll the Alfreddson and Havlat lines at you.

In the last 7 games he is a minus 2 with 4 goals and 3 assists (3ppg, 2ppa). I can live with that.

Archived