Disappointed with fan reaction

TM8-PL16

I watched it on TV because I live near Pittsburgh and couldn't make the trip during the week... but I was GREATLY disappointed when watching the ceremony and saw most people not even clapping for Gare, let alone not standing up. EVERYONE should have been standing up and clappin loudly for this guy, it was HIS night. His number is retired forever and more than half the fans in attendance are looking around like they don't know who he is. When Luce got introduced I heard a LUUUUUUUUCE cheer that was about as loud as the ovation Gare got.

The guy is standing there telling us how much he loves Buffalo, and how we have the greatest sports fans, etc... and we basically gave him a golf clap. I've been trying to show my wife (not from Buffalo) how much our Blue and Gold Sabre legends mean to us and she sees that. Even Bert didn't get his usual ovation, which is very disappointing... the last few times I've been in the arena with Bert on the ice I got chills, tears in my eyes and we didn't stop cheering for him for like a full 5 minutes... what the hell happened?

It was Gare's night and I think he deserved more than he got... from the fans, not the organization.

what type of message does that send to current and possible future free agents? "This guy is a respected hockey legend and the fans are treating him like 'just another guy'... maybe I'll play somewhere else", that's what they'll be thinking. That's what I'll be thinking when no one wants to sign with us or re-sign with us.

I really hope LaFontaine gets a better night...

I watched it on TV because I live near Pittsburgh and couldn't make the trip during the week... but I was GREATLY disappointed when watching the ceremony and saw most people not even clapping for Gare, let alone not standing up. EVERYONE should have been standing up and clappin loudly for this guy, it was HIS night. His number is retired forever and more than half the fans in attendance are looking around like they don't know who he is. When Luce got introduced I heard a LUUUUUUUUCE cheer that was about as loud as the ovation Gare got.

The guy is standing there telling us how much he loves Buffalo, and how we have the greatest sports fans, etc... and we basically gave him a golf clap. I've been trying to show my wife (not from Buffalo) how much our Blue and Gold Sabre legends mean to us and she sees that. Even Bert didn't get his usual ovation, which is very disappointing... the last few times I've been in the arena with Bert on the ice I got chills, tears in my eyes and we didn't stop cheering for him for like a full 5 minutes... what the hell happened?

It was Gare's night and I think he deserved more than he got... from the fans, not the organization.

what type of message does that send to current and possible future free agents? "This guy is a respected hockey legend and the fans are treating him like 'just another guy'... maybe I'll play somewhere else", that's what they'll be thinking. That's what I'll be thinking when no one wants to sign with us or re-sign with us.

I really hope LaFontaine gets a better night...

Like you said, you weren't there. I don't know what camare feed you get, but the one i was watching was mainly showing Gare and not the fans.

I have the game Tivo'd... they showed the fans quite a few times and many were looking around aimlessly when a few where standing and clapping. Maybe I expect too much from fans in general, but when you retire a guy's number, not one person in the building should be sitting. Do people realize what a major honor that is? To have your number retired forever???

Was anyone that was there, have a different take on the night? maybe the camera man found the three sets of 20 people that didn't care and showed them a few times and overall it was good...

again, I'm not saying "everyone sat there and did nothing", I'm saying too many people sat there and gave a golf clap. There were a lot of people who cheered their heads off, I'm sure... but for this type of ceremony, the roof should have come off. Like mphs Mike said, just seeing the Blue & Gold should have got the place excited.

maybe I'm too old (32, highly doubt it) and maybe the current fans really could care less about the blue and gold and danny gare, but somehow I doubt it. Oh well, can't wait to see Patty's number 16 up there... tears and chills already!!!

hopefully the Leafs fans will be respectful and give Patty his due cheers. He is in the NHL HOF, not just some player that we in Buffalo think is good... he is well respected in the world of hockey, hopefully they will do the right thing and cheer for him. I would cheer for an opponents legend # retiring... maybe that's just me. If you are a fan, be a fan and respect the game and the players.... but then again, this is Leafs fans we are talking about, so I'm not holding my breath :P

hopefully the Leafs fans will be respectful and give Patty his due cheers. He is in the NHL HOF, not just some player that we in Buffalo think is good... he is well respected in the world of hockey, hopefully they will do the right thing and cheer for him. I would cheer for an opponents legend # retiring... maybe that's just me. If you are a fan, be a fan and respect the game and the players.... but then again, this is Leafs fans we are talking about, so I'm not holding my breath :P

agreed... rangers would have been a better choice but then we wouldn't fill out the arena... :( so basically what they wanted was a packed house hoping that enough sabres fans would show up anyway to give an ovation.

agreed... rangers would have been a better choice but then we wouldn't fill out the arena... :( so basically what they wanted was a packed house hoping that enough sabres fans would show up anyway to give an ovation.

I don't think that's the case to be honest with you.

I don't know for sure, but most teams deal with things like this is by letting the player pick the date of his night. Usually is most cases, teams will suggest a few games, and let the player pick. Maybe LaFontaine really wanted to retire vs. Toronto?

I donno but that's what alot of the ceremonies happen, i could be way off though. But i was thinking the same thing thought sabre61 that maybe they did it so sabres fans start to buy tickets in advance for the game and make it a pro-sabres crowd. In either case, i'll be there.

Here might be a reason for the somewhat lukewarm interest for Danny....of the fans in the stads, how many of them are, say 30 years old or under? Maybe a lot of these people simply never saw the guy play. With Buffalo's dwindling population and the possible "not passing down the Sabres history" to this generation, Gare's a player they could never relate to. It's too bad, because, for his size and playing on the checking line, Danny was a sniper, who also wasn't afraid to get down and dirty.

Props to the Sabres.com website for having the ceremony on there for us who didn't watch the game!

Here might be a reason for the somewhat lukewarm interest for Danny....of the fans in the stads, how many of them are, say 30 years old or under? Maybe a lot of these people simply never saw the guy play. With Buffalo's dwindling population and the possible "not passing down the Sabres history" to this generation, Gare's a player they could never relate to. It's too bad, because, for his size and playing on the checking line, Danny was a sniper, who also wasn't afraid to get down and dirty.

Props to the Sabres.com website for having the ceremony on there for us who didn't watch the game!

I think that was one of his points, that not as many "old timers" came out to tribute to their idol. For whatever reasons.

And yes i agree man, thanks sabres.com for posting it, pictures, tribute video and the ceremony.

Archived