Why is Buffalo "a great hockey town"?

PASabreFan

It seems to be one of those "urban legends" that Buffalo is a great hockey town. I'm not from there, so would someone explain how it earned this reputation? Attendance is weak, and even the fans who do show up don't seem to get into the game. Even during the finals in 99, it seemed like many fans didn't even bother to stand up when a goal was scored. And, although we all have nostalgic memories of the Aud, it was usually dead on most nights, too. That blasted horn was actually put into effect to cover up for the fact that fans weren't cheering for Sabres' goals any more. Take the horn away some night and hear how quiet the building is. Sabres' fans are not only being outcheered by Leafs' fans now, it seems like Habs' fans are louder too. What the heck is going on, besides the recent trend toward boring teams in Buffalo -- whether the Sabres are winning or not. I keep hearing how so many kids in Buffalo play hockey, how former players and coaches live in the Buffalo area because it's such a great hockey town, how the franchise has such a great tradition (of what?). Why doesn't it translate into a gamenight experience like they have in Detroit or many other venues across the league?

It seems to be one of those "urban legends" that Buffalo is a great hockey town. I'm not from there, so would someone explain how it earned this reputation? Attendance is weak, and even the fans who do show up don't seem to get into the game. Even during the finals in 99, it seemed like many fans didn't even bother to stand up when a goal was scored. And, although we all have nostalgic memories of the Aud, it was usually dead on most nights, too. That blasted horn was actually put into effect to cover up for the fact that fans weren't cheering for Sabres' goals any more. Take the horn away some night and hear how quiet the building is. Sabres' fans are not only being outcheered by Leafs' fans now, it seems like Habs' fans are louder too. What the heck is going on, besides the recent trend toward boring teams in Buffalo -- whether the Sabres are winning or not. I keep hearing how so many kids in Buffalo play hockey, how former players and coaches live in the Buffalo area because it's such a great hockey town, how the franchise has such a great tradition (of what?). Why doesn't it translate into a gamenight experience like they have in Detroit or many other venues across the league?

I don't disagree at all with your post. Somehow the enthusiasm that was electric in the 1970's somehow got lost along the way. It is very disturbing when a goal is scored, that 50% of the people in attendence or more cannot be bothered to stand and cheer. I will always stand and cheer for a goal when at a game no matter who many people around me are sitting on their hands. This is more evident early in the game versus a key goal in the 3rd period or an overtime winner, but either way it is a very strong statement regarding how some people feel about the Sabres. It would be nice if you could take some of the enthusiasm from Bills games and bring it to HSBC Arena.

That being said, I'd rather have someone in the seats who is half-hearted versus an empty seat.

The big part is the population they can draw from. I am a bit shocked at the low numbers this season. It has been posted that since our friends from the north, who have always made up a huge number of ticket holders, can't watch the team nightly add in the delays at the Bridge it reflects in the ticket sales.

IMO. I believe that it has more to do with a general distrust of "Status Quo" aka Quinn, Regier and Ruff. During the whole Rigas mess many were turned off. Many look back to the Sabres and see the same old figure heads. Perception is reality and many feel those men are a reflection of the age of Rigas and not of any new begining. If would be better for the franchise if Golisano forgot about getting his 2% of the Governors vote and became the face of the franchise. He should be on the radio, TV and any other media instead of Status Quo.

Just my opinion. :)

imo Buffalo is a hockey city...if you look around there, there is tons

of hockey being played around Buffalo, for a place that size. It

used to be you saw kids play street hockey all the time, but now

that video games have taken over, it seems complacency has

washed over not only Bflo but the rest of the country. Buffalo

is a winter city so hockey is a natural. Also that it's on the Canadian

border it's almost part of Canada. I think the Sabres since 1987 have

hit rock bottom several times, having had the #1 overall w/ Turgeon.

It seems we've always needed smaller, more clever players than

the big lumbering teams like the Flyers and maybe fans are just

getting sick of the idea that we may never win a cup, because

talent, bum luck or otherwise. The straits that the city of Buffalo

are in, unemployment, stores closing and the failure of big businesses

like Staples refusing to enter the marketplace doesn't help. But

nevertheless, you get a great team, people will come. it's just

that fans don't want to suffer anymore with flat-out bad teams

or even mediocre. When is it going to be "our time"?

Without question it is a great hockey town...the problems with the fan base are basically centered on the fact that ownership has done little in terms of players to attract the fan back...people are not going to pay for a loser.

The stuff about the economy is over done...what about the 2,500 new jobs with Gieco? Everybody wants to bitch about losing manufacturing jobs - but hello - they are being lost everywhere...Mexico is now losing its manufacturing base to China - it's called globalization.

If the economy was such a factor then the Bills wouldn't be selling out every week. Look at other towns for a comparison San Diego - has a contract with the city that each game must be sold out - the City must buy the tickets if unsold. I was watching the U of Miami v. Virginia last night...most of the top level of the Orange Bowl was empty...the Islanders - only sold 13,000 for the Sabres game earlier this week...countless teams have the same problem.

As far as the sound goes, most new arenas are lame when it comes to sound...certainly there is no comparison between the Aud and the HSBC Arena...but on TV it sounds even worse - but some of that is the sound quality - I am sure of it...you can't hear the players on the ice in Buffalo like you can at the ACC or even the Bell Centre and some other arenas...that is a sound engineering issue.

That being said...the fans have been sparse in the lower bowl corners...I've sat there recently..liked the seats are they worth the money - I can't say - doesn't the value have something to do with the quality of the product on the ice...the team has been decent this year...do the fans need to get more excited yes - should the team call them out on it - yes...the fans need to show up an be heard - that's the point of paying good money and going to see the team...support.

Bills games sell out because there are so few of them. They only play 8 home games a year. The sabres play about 5x more than that. If football had a longer season, they would probably have fewer sellouts. Buffalo is a football town first, hockey town second. When the bills season is done, fans will start returning to hockey.

Also the sabres do not have that big name attraction anymore to draw the less die hard fans in. They don't have a Lemieux/Crosby, Lindros/Sundin/Belfour, Kariya, Kovalchuk, Heatley(who I wish we had on a line with briere)/Hasek(who would have thought he'd still be playing now?), etc. these players aren't only good on the ice, they are great mnarketing tools. Who is the Sabres biggest marketing tool? Vanek, Briere, Miller? these are good/excellent players, but not names that are able to draw tons of fans in (YET)

Give it time, the NHL still has to prove to some fans that they deserve their buisness after canceling a season due to a labour dispute.

As for the economy, that has alot to do with out. The mess in Erie county, Delphi, now GM (in Southern Ontario). Trust me, the 2,500 new jobs from Geico aren't going to pay half as good as the manufacturing jobs.

Bills games sell out because there are so few of them. They only play 8 home games a year.

As for the economy, that has alot to do with out. The mess in Erie county, Delphi, now GM (in Southern Ontario). Trust me, the 2,500 new jobs from Geico aren't going to pay half as good as the manufacturing jobs.

The Bills sell out b/c they have some of the best marketing in the NFL. John Butler was putting SB quality teams on the field yet they'd have trouble selling out. That's why TD's not going anywhere...

The Sabres don't have a clue about marketing.

As for the economy in Buffalo, I point to Boston as an example of a town that's lost it's manufacturing base that now thrives on financial institutions, and technology. Hartford does quite well in the insurance business. No successful city in the northeast can complete with the south let alone foreign interests.

Buffalo can do better than manufacturing - it has to. It seems to me like the perfect place for a power generation R&D facility

It's been a while since I grew up back in Buffalo and I do think it is a hockey town but that does not necessarily always translate in to success with the pro team. Personally, I think a big part of it is economics. Lower-bowl seats cost the most and the bigger cities are able to fill those because they have been bought by corporations.

I used to love going to the Aud for games as a kid, but we did not go to many. Instead, my family often used to cross the border to catch the Niagara Falls Thunder. Tickets were cheap and you got an honest, hard-working hockey game every single night. The "purists" would probably tell you they love Canadian, junior hockey more than the NHL. The problem with the pro teams is egos and an inability to relate to the everyday fan. This is not a rant against Euro's at all, but I just remember the Sabres being that 'blue-collar' type of team with names and faces we all could relate to like the Foligno's, Tucker's, Andreychuck's, Ramsey's, LaFontaine's; there does not seem to be as many of those guys today. Of course, that also could have something to do with marketing as one post already said.

i also think the environment created by the arenas of today really removes the electricity from the atmosphere. you're too far away from the action and the concert-friendly accoustics make the buildings quieter. and this is to say nothing of the canned music and phony graphics on the jumbo. it's just not the same experience it used to be.

Archived