New Sabres?

buckeyebrian

Now that a done deal is imminent, and the salary cap will result in increased player movement, teams like the Sabres will have room to sign a high profile veteran or two. Who would you like to see the Sabres sign? I would like to see Mike Peca back in a Sabres uniform. Letting him go was the beginning of the end.

Now that a done deal is imminent, and the salary cap will result in increased player movement, teams like the Sabres will have room to sign a high profile veteran or two. Who would you like to see the Sabres sign? I would like to see Mike Peca back in a Sabres uniform. Letting him go was the beginning of the end.

Uggh...no Peca.

I would like to see us pick up a pure goal scorer. I havne't seen the list of FA's so I don't know which one but we need a 40 goal scorer.

Uggh...no Peca.

I would like to see us pick up a pure goal scorer. I havne't seen the list of FA's so I don't know which one but we need a 40 goal scorer.

Actually, I would love to see him back. Even thWhat happened to him, the Sabres and most importantly, the fans was very painful. I think his situation was one of the wake up calls for the league ownership. That he could come back to the Sabres would really show that the NHL has been truly fixed.

A goal scorer would be nice, but I'd rather have a guy like Peca anyday.

Guest Guest_Swordsman

Assuming Satan is dumped, I'd like to see a move for Kariya or Palffy - both of whom will be UFAs. Getting a player with speed and offensive skills to build on an existing core of Briere, Hecht and rookie Vanek, would go a long way towards making the team exciting to watch.

Assuming Satan is dumped, I'd like to see a move for Kariya or Palffy - both of whom will be UFAs. Getting a player with speed and offensive skills to build on an existing core of Briere, Hecht and rookie Vanek, would go a long way towards making the team exciting to watch.

Palffy's injury bugs scare me a bit....Id pass on him unless it was a bargin.....I am intrigued by the thought of having Kariya in Buffalo though

Found this on the Bills Stadium Wall.

Here is a list of UFAs and players FOXSPorts net thinks will be bought out.

Let's see, I'll take Owen Nolan, Peter Forsberg, and Markus Naslund.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3756644

Sandis Ozolinsh

Petr Sykora

Shawn McEachern

Sergei Gonchar

Travis Green

Martin Lapointe

Dan McGillis

Glen Murray

Felix Potvin

Alexei Zhitnik

Martin Gelinas

Glen Wesley

Vincent Damphousse

Peter Forsberg

Adam Foote

Andrei Nikolishin

Teemu Selanne

Paul Kariya

Chris Gratton

Mike Modano

Teppo Numminen

Sergei Zubov

Bill Guerin

Pierre Turgeon

Jere Lehtinen

Chris Chelios

Curtis Joseph

Mathieu Schneider

Steve Yzerman

Derian Hatcher

Brendan Shanahan

Ray Whitney

Donald Audette

Jason Allison,

Anson Carter

Adam Deadmarsh

Roman Cechmanek

Zigmund Palffy

Luc Robitaille

Martin Straka

Jozef Stumpel

Andrew Brunette

Alexei Kovalev

Yannic Perreault

Patrice Brisebois

Craig Rivet

Andreas Johansson

Jason York

Scott Niedermayer

Brian Rafalski

Scott Stevens

Adrian Aucoin

Mariusz Czerkawski

Roman Hamrlik

Cliff Ronning

Alexei Yashin

Mike Dunham

Eric Lindros

Mark Messier

Bobby Holik

Darius Kasparaitis

Peter Bondra

Greg de Vries

Bryan Smolinski

Robert Esche

Simon Gagne

Kim Johnsson

Patrick Sharp

John LeClair

Tony Amonte

Mike Rathje

Pavol Demitra

Alexander Khavanov

Al MacInnis

Chris Osgood

Doug Weight

Eric Weinrich

Cory Stillman

Dave Andreychuk

Nikolai Khabibulin

Tim Taylor

Tie Domi

Ron Francis

Brian Leetch

Bryan Marchment

Alex Mogilny

Joe Nieuwendyk

Gary Roberts

Owen Nolan

Markus Naslund

Martin Rucinsky

Just because the Sabres are well under the cap. Don't expect a sudden change in how they do business. They have a long list of players that they have the right's to that they want to sign.

They believe in what they have been doing the past few seasons and will not start tossing money at over priced older players who have been out a year. If the rumors turn out to be true about the rule changes? Then the premium money will be spent on speed. Speed on offense and speed on defense.

This should be the NHL that the Sabres have been talking about. The league came back to them. Let's see how many teams can adjust to the Sabre way of doing business.

From the list of UFAs, the following can be crossed off because you know their teams will resign them (if for no other reason than PR):

Forsberg, Foote, Modano, Yzerman, Niedermeyer, Rafalski, Stevens, Khabibulin and Naslund.

Then, cross the following off as likely retirees (either for health reasons or just lack of interest by any other teams):

Lindros, Messier, LeClair, MacInnis, Francis, Mogilny, Roberts

The most appealing names to me that seemingly can help fill specific holes on the Sabres' roster, would be reasonably priced and still young enough, are:

Ozolinsh / Gonchar (one of the 2, not both), Kariya, Palffy, Rivet (4th line), Aucoin, de Vries, Gagne

If Darcy swaps out some spare parts like Connolly, Pyatt and Boulton, and plans for promotions from Rochester (Vanek, Miller), and lets Satan and Zhitnik walk, he'd have room and money to sign a top 6 forward like Kariya and #2 defenseman like Aucoin (who is just as much a workhorse as Zhitnik but physically stronger and bigger).

Karyia would be a nice addition i must admit... amoung others... i can't even remeber who might fit lol... i need to get back into the swing of things... but i heard somewhere that were one of 4 teams that are weighted the heaviest in the Crosby Lottery Draft... is that true or no? Just something i heard... looking for some merit to it... it was in the paper today.

Why not try to keep Zhitnik?

I never understood the concept of getting rid of a player and then try to sign a player just like him?

With the ice opening up. A player who can skate up and down for 30-35 game minutes

without signs of getting tired would be a great assest.

As far as free agents go. On that list, the only player I would want would be Bondra. Just so he'd stop scoring 20 goals a year against the Sabres. Besides that. I wouldn't jump for joy for any of those players. Most are older, slow or injury prone.

Sure, Zhitnik may still be physically able to log the ice time he always has - but the motive in letting him go and bringing in a new face is to change the dynamics. Z is obviously bordering on complacency after hearing the same coach for the last 8 years, and being in the same city for 10 years. He needs a change of scenery to pick up his energy level and enthusiasm. The same can be said of Satan...

Sure, Zhitnik may still be physically able to log the ice time he always has - but the motive in letting him go and bringing in a new face is to change the dynamics. Z is obviously bordering on complacency after hearing the same coach for the last 8 years, and being in the same city for 10 years. He needs a change of scenery to pick up his energy level and enthusiasm. The same can be said of Satan...

You can't compare Satan and Zhitnik.

When has Zhitnik not given 100%? The guy is a work horse. I would hate to see him added to the long list of players let go that we will all regret. There are no players currently with the team or even on that list that can log the ice time Zhitnik can. To replace the 30-35 minutes a game will be damn difficult. He is not only the best d-man

the Sabres had. He is the best player.

Satan is more about the money and fame. But replacing his 25-30 goals is not as easy as picking from a list.

I understand where you're coming from on Zhitnik but I think you're confusing a player's physical stamina and conditioning with their mental focus and motivation. Zhitnik logs chunks of ice time and plays on all of the specialty teams. That's probably more a result of his coach's favoritism than of Zhitnik begging for it.

At the same time, he commits lazy penalties, generates little offense and hasn't exhibited much leadership. He impressed me when he was quoted early in the 03-04 season as wanting to stay in Buffalo but then he retracted it later for the chance to earn more money than he does now.

Yes, he is arguably the best defenseman on the present roster though that doesn't say much, considering how weak the depth of the defense corps is after Kalinin and McKee. If Zhitnik shows he wants to stay in Buffalo and takes a huge cut in pay, then I'm all for him remaining a Sabre.

Frankly, his play since 99' signals to me that he's lost his motivation for winning and will accept the highest-paying job he can find.

Guest Punch Imlach

Yes, I read this on ESPN.com. Based on recent lack of making playoffs and ho wlong it's been since they had the #1 pick, the Sabres and the 3 other teams each get 4 team balls to go in the hopper for selecting the 1st pick.

Most teams only get one ball.

Guest DaFan

Yes, I read this on ESPN.com. Based on recent lack of making playoffs and ho wlong it's been since they had the #1 pick, the Sabres and the 3 other teams each get 4 team balls to go in the hopper for selecting the 1st pick.

Most teams only get one ball.

Actually it's 4 teams with 3 balls :)

I would love to see Zhitnik go. I'm so tired of his dumb penalties. Satan on the other hand I want to stay...for obvious reason :D I think Satan would score more goals and be more consistent if he wasn't the main offensive attraction. I think he's more of a Peerless Price.

Archived