NHL at it again

Corp000085

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2234868

In regards to the NHL's return to the major leagues, it's officially over. by not fining gretzky, as is required by the piece of paper that held up hockey for over a year, colin "video replay" campbell has sent the NHL back to the bush leagues. How does this guy keep his job? In my opinion, this clown needs to go before bettman... When it comes to on-ice rule enforcement, the buck stops at his feet. He's made so many mistakes its not even funny (i.e. inconsistant suspensions, this stupid non-fine, no goal, phantom goal, etc.)

hmm agreed he should have been fined too... but you have to look at the player for each situation if it was someone like briere who got in a scrap in the last 5 min then i don't think they should fine ruff because briere isn't known for scraping but if a goon was intentionally sent out there by the coach in the last 5 min to start a riot then yes a fine should be handed out... there is a grey area on this one.

I don't disagree with the idea that each should be evaluated as a case by case basis, But that is not the rule that they put into the books. Imagine a "non call on a crease rule being changed in the mid - oh sh--, never mind.

haha... genious... :P

Perhaps this is the $10K the league owed Gretzky for his embarrassing performance at the '99 league awards ceremony, when he told the world he thought it was a goal.

Every ounce of respect I ever had for him went out the window that night.

Yep, the NHL double standard is back in full force. Shane Doan didn't get suspended and Gretzky didn't have to pay a fine because as THN stated "The rule was aimed at goons, and since Doan is more than a fighter, the NHL DECIDED THE RULE DID NOT APPLY." This with Doan starting a fight at the buzzer. Nope, no goonery there.

Of course, last night in Ottawa, ALL STAR Zdeno Chara gets an instigator and fighting major with 3:21 left in the game and HE DOES get the game suspension and his coach Bryan Murray gets a $10,000 fine. Apparently, Chara IS a goon and Doan isn't. What a joke. When even Don Cherry says it's a joke, the league looks REALLY bad.

Who in their right mind thinks that Murray sent CHARA on the ice to start a fight? It is beyond absurd. Yes the rule states that Chara should have been suspended and Murray should have been fined, but the league CLEARLY stated in not fining Gretzky nor suspending Doan that the rule does not apply to non-goons. You have to have a very broad definition of goon to include Chara. Pathetic.

Yep, the NHL double standard is back in full force. Shane Doan didn't get suspended and Gretzky didn't have to pay a fine because as THN stated "The rule was aimed at goons, and since Doan is more than a fighter, the NHL DECIDED THE RULE DID NOT APPLY." This with Doan starting a fight at the buzzer. Nope, no goonery there.

Of course, last night in Ottawa, ALL STAR Zdeno Chara gets an instigator and fighting major with 3:21 left in the game and HE DOES get the game suspension and his coach Bryan Murray gets a $10,000 fine. Apparently, Chara IS a goon and Doan isn't. What a joke. When even Don Cherry says it's a joke, the league looks REALLY bad.

Who in their right mind thinks that Murray sent CHARA on the ice to start a fight? It is beyond absurd. Yes the rule states that Chara should have been suspended and Murray should have been fined, but the league CLEARLY stated in not fining Gretzky nor suspending Doan that the rule does not apply to non-goons. You have to have a very broad definition of goon to include Chara. Pathetic.

i was thinking the same thing... I saw on the espn.com homepage, chara and $10k and i knew i would be disgusted. I'm just glad that cherry is calling the NHL on its double standard and bush leagueary (yes, that's a word, i just made it up)

Archived