Noronen to start

Larry Playfair

fair point, biron is far from perfect, but his not been to bad since his first few outings. agreed i think we should see more of noronen (and i am NOT a noronen fan!)

Interesting comment at the end. Why are you not a Noronen fan? I could understand it if you are basing it on a sufficient lack of playing time to judge his capability, but is it because you are a Biron fan instead?

"If" Noronen actually gets a fair chance to compete during games and demonstrates he is consistently better than Marty, would you change your opinion?

agreed with another poster up above... i used to like biron but he's really starting to lose my appreciation... the sabres have to score 5 or more goals to win with him in net and thats what they've been doing... with noronen in net all they had to score was 3 and noronen was able to make the clutch saves when it counted... id give noronen the run for a little bit now and see how it goes... this will decide who they trade i suppose... or what there value is.

Interesting comment at the end. Why are you not a Noronen fan? I could understand it if you are basing it on a sufficient lack of playing time to judge his capability, but is it because you are a Biron fan instead?

"If" Noronen actually gets a fair chance to compete during games and demonstrates he is consistently better than Marty, would you change your opinion?

im more than happy to change my opinion of noronen. I always hated the noronen faithful, and i guess part of the reason is the way his faithful behave. not really a fan of either anymore, i was more of a biron fan though, partly cause he was given a hard time, sometimes unduely

agreed with another poster up above... i used to like biron but he's really starting to lose my appreciation... the sabres have to score 5 or more goals to win with him in net and thats what they've been doing... with noronen in net all they had to score was 3 and noronen was able to make the clutch saves when it counted... id give noronen the run for a little bit now and see how it goes... this will decide who they trade i suppose... or what there value is.

11/04: 3-2 Montreal

11/05: 3-2 Montreal

11/11: 5-2 over Toronto

11/15: 4-1 over New Jersey

Funny, they didn't need 5+ goals to win any of those games. Remember, before you praise Noronen as the second coming, he has to play in more than just one game against a bad team.

I point this out because you say that the team has been scoring 5+ for Marty. In this recent stretche of good hockey, dating back to that Toronto game (we'll ignore the Ottawa fiasco because it's obvious that the team can't play with them), Marty's given up 4+ only once. That was the great defensive collapse in the Washington game.

11/04: 3-2 Montreal

11/05: 3-2 Montreal

11/11: 5-2 over Toronto

11/15: 4-1 over New Jersey

Funny, they didn't need 5+ goals to win any of those games. Remember, before you praise Noronen as the second coming, he has to play in more than just one game against a bad team.

I point this out because you say that the team has been scoring 5+ for Marty. In this recent stretche of good hockey, dating back to that Toronto game (we'll ignore the Ottawa fiasco because it's obvious that the team can't play with them), Marty's given up 4+ only once. That was the great defensive collapse in the Washington game.

You're always quick to Marty's defense. What about the Carolina game. What did Marty give up there? 4 goals on something like 20 shots

You're always quick to Marty's defense. What about the Carolina game. What did Marty give up there? 4 goals on something like 20 shots

Basically, I don't think he's the horrible goalie that everyone is making him out to be. Yes, he's not the answer, but he has played just about as many bad games as he has good games (5 bad, 4 good, if I remember correctly). Why do people selectively forget about his good games?

As for the Carolina game, that had absolutely nothing to do with my point, so why would I mention it?

Basically, I don't think he's the horrible goalie that everyone is making him out to be. Yes, he's not the answer, but he has played just about as many bad games as he has good games (5 bad, 4 good, if I remember correctly). Why do people selectively forget about his good games?

As for the Carolina game, that had absolutely nothing to do with my point, so why would I mention it?

they forget because he's put us in a hole... who cares about the good games if your out of the playoffs... you can win 30 games near the end of the season and still not make it... bottom line is playoffs... biron is bad because of the hole he put us in... if miller can't be spectacular again were screwed...

they forget because he's put us in a hole... who cares about the good games if your out of the playoffs... you can win 30 games near the end of the season and still not make it... bottom line is playoffs... biron is bad because of the hole he put us in... if miller can't be spectacular again were screwed...

The team is alone in 8th in the Eastern Conference. Yeah, that's a huge hole. :rolleyes:

Last time I checked, our Miller was out there for 2 games of the 6 of 7 losing streak. Maybe the blame can fall on more than one guy on this team (note the word team).

The team is alone in 8th in the Eastern Conference. Yeah, that's a huge hole. :rolleyes:

Last time I checked, our Miller was out there for 2 games of the 6 of 7 losing streak. Maybe the blame can fall on more than one guy on this team (note the word team).

Yes it is a team sport, but goaltending is the most important position on the team. All you have to do is think of #39 to understand the significance. If the goalie has a bad start (ex. letting in an easy first SOG), this affects the whole team more than a forward having a bad shift.

There's plenty of blame on other parts as you say (ex. add coaching to the list), but there is no more critical position in my opinion.

just plain owned... haha... good call... the goaltending blame falls sqaurly on biron's shoulders... i think were all in consensus here that noronen was never give a fair chance out there.

each and every game his in is a chance. his had enough chances. he had three chances last season. he screwed two games in a row up then got injured. THAT is a chance alone. if he plays really well, he gets another game. HIS BEEN GIVEN CHANCES. his not been ridden as no.1 for a season, thats not a chance, thats dumping a goalie in a position they may not be capable of. his just not performed consistantly. biron's been our no.1 cause his been able to handle it, his not been good or great, but his been a capable no.1. noronen has had two good games, thats all. he played well so his getting more of a chance. simple as.

Archived