Noronen to start

Larry Playfair

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20051119/1030598.asp

he is finally getting his first start tonight in Boston.

What can we reasonably expect since he hasnt seen any significant ice time and we are already at the 1/4 point?

I am rooting for him to unseat biron until our boy miller is back.

Go Sabes.

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20051119/1030598.asp

he is finally getting his first start tonight in Boston.

What can we reasonably expect since he hasnt seen any significant ice time and we are already at the 1/4 point?

I am rooting for him to unseat biron until our boy miller is back.

Go Sabes.

Mika could probably get shutouts in 3 games in a row and if in the fourth game he let in 4 goals, it would be right back to Marty. <_<

Well, the numbers are simple. Anything less than 4 GAA is better than The Smiling Sieve. Is it realistic though? I doubt it.

No.

Mikka is going to go down as one of Status Quo's biggest failures. I can't wait to see this kid go somewhere else and do well. All he needs is a chance with a team that understands goaltending.

No.

Mikka is going to go down as one of Status Quo's biggest failures. I can't wait to see this kid go somewhere else and do well. All he needs is a chance with a team that understands goaltending.

Hope you're right, he deserves a shot.

Marty is already going down as one of their greatest mistakes, so why not Mika?

Can anyone make an argument that Marty IS worth more than 3 times Mika? (2.1 mil. V. 600,000?)

I'm not saying he gets the Vezina,but if he can play steady after being away for so long how well could he play with some steady play?

That is why Marty is untradeable.

While the Sabres have been holding on, waiting to make the right choice and not wanting to trade away a good goalie. A ton of young goalies have hit this year. Younger, cheaper and better. The only hope the Sabres have is that a Top Team looks for a vet back up.

If I were the Thrashers GM? I'd give up a #1 for Mika. He can be that good.

That is why Marty is untradeable.

While the Sabres have been holding on, waiting to make the right choice and not wanting to trade away a good goalie. A ton of young goalies have hit this year. Younger, cheaper and better. The only hope the Sabres have is that a Top Team looks for a vet back up.

If I were the Thrashers GM? I'd give up a #1 for Mika. He can be that good.

STOP THE PRESSES!

I AGREE WITH DELUCA!

Mika is nearly as talented as Ryan Miller. If he is traded, he WILL come back to haunt the Sabres. If Marty is traded, Darcy will look like a genious.

Deluca I completely agree that that is what keeps Biron from being traded. I also think it is what makes Mika easily the right choice to stay - He is so much cheaper and IMHO a better goalie than Biron. With the cap, now it makes it even harder to trade Biron. Who wants a 2 mil. back-up? (besides Darcy and Lindy).

Deluca I completely agree that that is what keeps Biron from being traded. I also think it is what makes Mika easily the right choice to stay - He is so much cheaper and IMHO a better goalie than Biron. With the cap, now it makes it even harder to trade Biron. Who wants a 2 mil. back-up? (besides Darcy and Lindy).

Here's my 2 cents on the goalie trade issue. I still think that Mika is the one to get traded, because for whatever reason, Lindy doesn't have faith in him. That being said, hopefully, this game shows Lindy that Mika CAN be ready to play on reasonable notice and can play very well against a strong team.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I feel either goalie was worth roughly a 2nd round pick to anyone but Atlanta (because they were so desperate, they should have been expected to pay a lot more). I also felt that Ryan's injury would alter the goalie's worths. I think that Marty is now worth about a 3rd rounder (he IS an adequate backup, but if you need him to be your starter, you are in trouble). I think Mika is worth a lot more than that. Mika has excelled at EVERY level he has played except the NHL, and even there he has shown signs of brilliance.

The Sabres WILL get more for Mika than Marty. The question becomes, do they have faith in Ryan to be the every day goalie (which prior to his injury the answer to that was yes), and if so, do they want to keep the best backup and get less in trade or do they want to keep the backup Lindy is comfortable with and get more in trade.

My personal preference would probably be to wait until after the 1st of the year, when Atlanta should be no more of a threat to a playoff spot, and send them Marty and some form of a package to allow Atlanta to keep their payroll under the salary cap. At that point in time, getting something that helps the Sabres in the future vs. something that helps now should not scuttle a deal.

well at least mika isn't soft in his playing style... he's aggresive and doesn't give up on shots like biron does... he makes sure he goes for the rebound even if theres a slight chance he can get to it.. i like that but i don't think ruff likes him... don't think well be seeing much of him.

Biron isn't bad? What games have you been watching? He gives up shots when he has a clear view of them - he plays a lazy game (the words of the TSN guys, not mine) and often he looks like one of the lost tribes out there...wanders all over his end of the ice - is not aggressive etc.

Yes, our D is not good - but you do have to hope that your goalie will stop some of the shots.

All I want is for Mika to have a fair shot - is that asking too much? I hope that one good game in Boston leads to some other starts.

if in doubt sabres fans blame the goalie, cause our defense is perfect...

Biron isnt bad, his done us well for the period he played. mika had one good game. lets see how he fairs over a similar run.

I might beg to differ on Marty. Some of his goals are purely on him....not on the D.

Stats:

4.04 GAA

.871 Save percentage

Based on 9 games played.

Compare this to Miller's numbers:

2.77 GAA

.910 Save percentage

Based on 10 games played.

IMO - Noranen's numbers cannot be compared unless he get's a few more games (correction "IF" he gets a few more games). I agree that we need to see him actually PLAY more games.

I might beg to differ on Marty. Some of his goals are purely on him....not on the D.

Stats:

4.04 GAA

.871 Save percentage

Based on 9 games played.

2.77 GAA

.910 Save percentage

IMO - Noranen's numbers cannot be compared unless he get's a few more games (correction "IF" he gets a few more games). I agree that we need to see him actually PLAY more games.

The numbers say it all really : The Sabres need to score 5 to win with Marty in goal, they only need to score 3 or 4 with Miller in goal.

I'm hoping Mika will get another start, he looked very sharp against the B's, for a guy who's been sitting in the stands all season.

Marty? Somebody find an upside on this guy, cause I sure as heck can't. Only possible upside he MIGTH have, is that he's usually pretty solid - not great - late in the season. Maybe that can carry over into a possible playoff situation, but I'm starting to doubt Marty will ever start in the playoffs. Unless another starting goalie carries him there on his back!

The only thing I can think of that could be used to counter those numbers is that Marty has played against tougher teams than Miller did. Obviously Miller's our go to goalie, but I won't have a good feel for this team's chances until I see him go up against the NHL's elite (for more than just one game).

The only thing I can think of that could be used to counter those numbers is that Marty has played against tougher teams than Miller did. Obviously Miller's our go to goalie, but I won't have a good feel for this team's chances until I see him go up against the NHL's elite (for more than just one game).

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Miller would have had a better game against the Canes.

Stats:

4.04 GAA

.871 Save percentage

Based on 9 games played.

2.77 GAA

.910 Save percentage

fair point, biron is far from perfect, but his not been to bad since his first few outings. agreed i think we should see more of noronen (and i am NOT a noronen fan!)

Archived