12,471?

deluca67

Thats's not a good number.

I'm becoming very concerned about the attendence. The announced number always seem to be a thousand or two higher than the actual people in the seats. I guess the main problem isn't selling the cheap seats, it is selling the top price lower bowl tickets. Typically these seats would be purchased by businesses both small and large(entertainment tax write off), along with people who have higher salaries and in turn have more disposable income.

The problem is that these people just don't seem to care about the Sabres. I don't mean to stereotype people, but these fans would most likely be your bandwagon fans and when the team isn't playing well, they have no interest.

I hope Golisano is patient with the attendence woes, but I continue to believe that the Sabres are just a resume builder for when Ralph passes away and he makes a play to buy the Bills. He can then toot his own horn about how he has experience as a "major league" owner. If successful, I believe he'd put the Sabres up for sale quicker than you can blink an eye.

that maybe true... but look at the night and opponent... no oone wants to go see washington. especially on a thursday night... people go christmas shopping and grocery shopping on thursdays... the average fan doesn't have fan especially if that fan is going to school. its gettin down to crunch time at school... and paying to go see a losing team is not as attractive as buying a case of beer and getting hammered for a 1/2 the cost... lets face it... theres just no interest... im interested and i go at every opportunity but theres alot who won't.

Not sure exactly how much it was a factor, but with the way the weather was in the area, alot of people south of Buffalo were probably still digging themselves out of the snow

agreed as well... if weather is bad no one leaves there homes... at all! no one wants to get into an accident just to goto a hockey game.

Also, a lot of those empty seats have been purchased... Season tickets and corporate handouts... It sucks, but this is the reality of the sabres right now. We won't get 17,000 till the playoffs begin, or we play toronto.

Can this team survive long term?

Waiting for Bills season to end to or the Habs and Leafs to show up to get a good crowd?

Doesn't seem like a sound business plan.

At some point the fans will have to step up and buy some tickets.

Waiting for Bills season to end to or the Habs and Leafs to show up to get a good crowd?

I read somewhere that the team is actually making a modest profit. They're a quarter into the season, coming off of the worst 5 years a pro team (yes, that includes NFL, NBA, MLB) could ever have. It's going to take some wins, good play, and yes, some time, for the fans to sell out the HSBC. It will happen.

Absolutely.

For the near term, yes. I expect that as the league's obstruction crackdown becomes real (ie still occurring today and into December and January and ...) and the Sabres prove they are an exciting team (note, I did not say a SC contender, but an exciting team) and they remain in the playoff hunt long after the Bills are looking forward to next year's draft, the attendance will pick up as it has in the last few years. I actually expect attendance to pick up better and quicker than in the past few seasons because this IS a fun team to watch. I've been to 6 games so far, and except for the one I didn't really get to watch because I brought my boys to the game, I got to watch very entertaining hockey, even in the other game they lost.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but the business plan isn't to only sell out TO and Moe-ray-aal games, and I believe that you realize that.

Cha. (aka, h*ll yes, absolutely, etc. ...)

Absolutely.

For the near term, yes. I expect that as the league's obstruction crackdown becomes real (ie still occurring today and into December and January and ...) and the Sabres prove they are an exciting team (note, I did not say a SC contender, but an exciting team) and they remain in the playoff hunt long after the Bills are looking forward to next year's draft, the attendance will pick up as it has in the last few years. I actually expect attendance to pick up better and quicker than in the past few seasons because this IS a fun team to watch. I've been to 6 games so far, and except for the one I didn't really get to watch because I brought my boys to the game, I got to watch very entertaining hockey, even in the other game they lost.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but the business plan isn't to only sell out TO and Moe-ray-aal games, and I believe that you realize that.

Cha. (aka, h*ll yes, absolutely, etc. ...)

Dave.

About the business plan. I was talking more to the acceptance the Bills and sell outs as fact and there isn't much you can do about. I've heard Regier himself mention "after the New Year" things will pick up. Like on the ice, the early season means as much as the later season. Points lost or unsold tickets hurt this franchise. As much as I rag on the Sabres I want them to do well on the ice and the box office. I want them to make money. I may not agree on how they spend it but I do want them to make a profit. This area could use a large business like the Sabres making a profit. If they're sold out then that means people are downtown spending money. Everyone wins. And who knows. If they make enough money maybe their budget could increase a bit and they can go out and get a #1 bluliner.

Dave.

About the business plan. I was talking more to the acceptance the Bills and sell outs as fact and there isn't much you can do about. I've heard Regier himself mention "after the New Year" things will pick up. Like on the ice, the early season means as much as the later season. Points lost or unsold tickets hurt this franchise. As much as I rag on the Sabres I want them to do well on the ice and the box office. I want them to make money. I may not agree on how they spend it but I do want them to make a profit. This area could use a large business like the Sabres making a profit. If they're sold out then that means people are downtown spending money. Everyone wins.  And who knows. If they make enough money maybe their budget could increase a bit and they can go out and get a #1 bluliner.

OK, I understand what you were getting at and agree with you. My hope is that the Sabres attendance in future seasons (starting next year) is better during the early portions of the season, and I think (or more accurately hope) that the Sabres are learning more about their market / marketing with what is happening with ticket sales this year.

I think the idea of charging different prices for different games is a good one (much as I hate to give Larry Quinn credit for anything, but have to give the devil his due) although it definitely needs refinement. I think lowering prices in the early season for most games will help and I expect that the Sabres having a decent / good season this year will also help with fan interest next season.

To be honest, with the team coming off 3 consecutive non-playoff years and the lockout and all the baggage that comes with the crooks, I am pleased with where attendance has been this year. The building is a LOT fuller than it was during the past 2 seasons. (Official attendance is ~ the same, but they have a lot more people actually in the stands than in recent seasons.) Considering all the baggage that came with the team, I don't think attendance has been too low. Couple the baggage with the fact that people did not know what to expect from the Sabres or the NHL, it doesn't surprise me too much that people budgeted to spend their recreation / entertainment $'s elsewhere.

One other thing that might factor into attendance is that I have been told that the Sabres games are not on TV on the Niagara peninsula. If that is in fact the case, the Sabres are losing a tremendous market and marketing tool. I don't see nearly as many Canadians at games (other than the obvious TO and Habs games) as I used to. Getting the games back on TV regularly would help get these people back on the Sabres bandwagon. (If the games ARE shown on TV in Canada, then nevermind.)

OK, I understand what you were getting at and agree with you.  My hope is that the Sabres attendance in future seasons (starting next year) is better during the early portions of the season, and I think (or more accurately hope) that the Sabres are learning more about their market / marketing with what is happening with ticket sales this year.

I think the idea of charging different prices for different games is a good one (much as I hate to give Larry Quinn credit for anything, but have to give the devil his due) although it definitely needs refinement.  I think lowering prices in the early season for most games will help and I expect that the Sabres having a decent / good season this year will also help with fan interest next season.

To be honest, with the team coming off 3 consecutive non-playoff years and the lockout and all the baggage that comes with the crooks, I am pleased with where attendance has been this year.  The building is a LOT fuller than it was during the past 2 seasons.  (Official attendance is ~ the same, but they have a lot more people actually in the stands than in recent seasons.)  Considering all the baggage that came with the team, I don't think attendance has been too low.  Couple the baggage with the fact that people did not know what to expect from the Sabres or the NHL, it doesn't surprise me too much that people budgeted to spend their recreation / entertainment $'s elsewhere.

One other thing that might factor into attendance is that I have been told that the Sabres games are not on TV on the Niagara peninsula.  If that is in fact the case, the Sabres are losing a tremendous market and marketing tool.  I don't see nearly as many Canadians at games (other than the obvious TO and Habs games) as I used to.  Getting the games back on TV regularly would help get these people back on the Sabres bandwagon.  (If the games ARE shown on TV in Canada, then nevermind.)

I always thought the Sabres and the NHL should go to a Center Ice type deal were you could buy only one team for a good price. I would pay an extra $25-30 a year for only the Sabres. It's better then $150 for alot of games I won't have a chance to watch.

Just a thought.

There is only the occasional Sabres game shown in Niagara on TV. Typically a Buff/T.O. game on Saturday night will be shown in Niagara and the occasional time TSN has a game that includes the Sabres. There is a french station that carries some Habs games against the sabres (but its broadcast in French). I would love to see a deal worked out so that I could watch the sabres on TV in Niagara, but we are considered leafs country just cause we are on this side of the border (even though I get more Buffalo stations then toronto ones)

I always thought the Sabres and the NHL should go to a Center Ice type deal were you could buy only one team for a good price. I would pay an extra $25-30 a year for only the Sabres. It's better then $150 for alot of games I won't have a chance to watch.

Just a thought.

That's a really good idea, especially if it means that you get your team's broadcasters. One of the most frustrating things about Center Ice is getting the other team's announcers. You never know what you're going to get. The only ones where it really got to me were the Tampa and Washington games though. The Tampa guys wouldn't stop complaining about the penalties (eg: wanting Vanek called for diving when he got knocked to the ice with a cross check in the back of the head after a whistle). The Washington guys weren't awful, but I couldn't stand the one guy's voice.

That's a really good idea, especially if it means that you get your team's broadcasters. One of the most frustrating things about Center Ice is getting the other team's announcers. You never know what you're going to get. The only ones where it really got to me were the Tampa and Washington games though. The Tampa guys wouldn't stop complaining about the penalties (eg: wanting Vanek called for diving when he got knocked to the ice with a cross check in the back of the head after a whistle). The Washington guys weren't awful, but I couldn't stand the one guy's voice.

Carolina had an absolutely horrible announce crew too. At least we're guaranteed to get a good announce crew for Tuesday's game. I can live with John Davidson in the booth.

There is only the occasional Sabres game shown in Niagara on TV. Typically a Buff/T.O. game on Saturday night will be shown in Niagara and the occasional time TSN has a game that includes the Sabres. There is a french station that carries some Habs games against the sabres (but its broadcast in French). I would love to see a deal worked out so that I could watch the sabres on TV in Niagara, but we are considered leafs country just cause we are on this side of the border (even though I get more Buffalo stations then toronto ones)

To me, that has a tremendously negative effect on attendance. If kids can only see Laffs games they will end up becoming TO fans, not Sabres fans. I believe it has something to do with either US Federal or Canadian law, as CBC and CTV used to be carried on US cable systems until the early '90's and I believe US networks were carried on Canadian cable systems.

It really stinks for the Sabres and their Canadian fans that the games are not shown regularly on the NP. The NP out to Hamilton is geographically Buffalo's market (within 50 miles). I would hope that the Sabres look into the laws / regs more closely, as it would seem to me that there has to be some way they can get the games broadcast for a reasonable cost on the other side of the border.

To me, that has a tremendously negative effect on attendance. If kids can only see Laffs games they will end up becoming TO fans, not Sabres fans. I believe it has something to do with either US Federal or Canadian law, as CBC and CTV used to be carried on US cable systems until the early '90's and I believe US networks were carried on Canadian cable systems.

It really stinks for the Sabres and their Canadian fans that the games are not shown regularly on the NP. The NP out to Hamilton is geographically Buffalo's market (within 50 miles). I would hope that the Sabres look into the laws / regs more closely, as it would seem to me that there has to be some way they can get the games broadcast for a reasonable cost on the other side of the border.

i hate not being able to see the sabres on tv... it does mean however i spend more on tickets but i may end up getting the Center Ice half way into the season... well see its just that the cable company has so many restrictions on what you can and can't do with your cable package... i hate it... but meh... i still get to listen to it on internet radio at least.

We get the American stations (Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, TBS, etc.) on cable in Niagara, but none of them broadcast sabres games. Also with those stations, we usually get the canadian feed of whatever Canadian affiliate is playing that show if its on a Canadian station.

Its true that if we want to see the sabres play, we have to go to Buffalo to see them at the arena (I did that for the season opener and plan to go back a couple more times)

I read somewhere that the team is actually making a modest profit. They're a quarter into the season, coming off of the worst 5 years a pro team (yes, that includes NFL, NBA, MLB) could ever have. It's going to take some wins, good play, and yes, some time, for the fans to sell out the HSBC. It will happen.

Ummm, the Sabres have had a better last 5 years than the Bills have.

We get the American stations (Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, TBS, etc.) on cable in Niagara, but none of them broadcast sabres games. Also with those stations, we usually get the canadian feed of whatever Canadian affiliate is playing that show if its on a Canadian station.

Its true that if we want to see the sabres play, we have to go to Buffalo to see them at the arena (I did that for the season opener and plan to go back a couple more times)

Out of curiousity, are the American stations you get the national feeds or the Buffalo feeds?

Depending on the details of the Sabres MSG contract, maybe the Sabres could get say 10 games put on Ch 29 or one of the other locals and then you guys would be able to see at least a few games without having to go the CI route. I have to believe that the Sabres are losing a lot of money (in tickets and merchandise) by not having the games on TV there (due to the old out of sight out of mind bit).

Out of curiousity, are the American stations you get the national feeds or the Buffalo feeds?

Depending on the details of the Sabres MSG contract, maybe the Sabres could get say 10 games put on Ch 29 or one of the other locals and then you guys would be able to see at least a few games without having to go the CI route. I have to believe that the Sabres are losing a lot of money (in tickets and merchandise) by not having the games on TV there (due to the old out of sight out of mind bit).

they are losing money and fans too... lets face it... if you can't see your team or experience your team on a regular basis you seem to lose interest... its hard... but somehow we keep pressing on... ive been to 3 games this year already... i plan on at least 2-3 more... probably 2 value and maybe a gold leaf or silver game.

they are losing money and fans too... lets face it... if you can't see your team or experience your team on a regular basis you seem to lose interest... its hard... but somehow we keep pressing on... ive been to 3 games this year already... i plan on at least 2-3 more... probably 2 value and maybe a gold leaf or silver game.

That's my concern, that they are losing fans. Young guys like you should be flocking to the Mmarena and buying tonnes of Sabres merchandise, but my guess is that you are in the minority of Sabres fans in your current locale. I hope that's not the case.

Archived