Grier, and snack time

Rabbit151

When I see Mike Grier get a pass at his own blue-line, with a full head of steam and no defender near him, I get up from the couch and prepare a snack.

By the time I'm done, I'm just in time to see Mike shoot a weak, bad-angle shot.

What I'm saying here, is that Mr.Grier is slow. Slow, slow, slow. What exactly was it that he brings to a team? He can't score, or skate. He doesn't fight and can't catch anyone to hit them. He doesn't take face-offs. He's ineffective on the PP and I suspect he logs no time on the SH. So, again, what does he do?

he still hits a little bit in the right situations and when the timing is right he'll do it but he's not consistant... and he's good for at least 10-20 goals a year... a horizontal improvment from varada... basically... no improvement... but he has more drive and determination.

Well, he does play on the penalty kill. I agree. I was thinking the other night about this. I remember watching him in Edmonton, and he used to destroy guys on the forecheck with gigantic checks. Don't see it anymore.

How many huge hits do you see league-wide this year? Nowhere near as many as you used to see in the past. The game has changed and he's not the only one who has yet to adjust.

How many huge hits do you see league-wide this year?  Nowhere near as many as you used to see in the past.  The game has changed and he's not the only one who has yet to adjust.

I don't know if it is adjustment issues or an injury they are not talking about or just his overall lack of speed catching up to him. The 1st few games of the season I thought he played very well.

For the last 2 weeks at least, and probably more like the last month, I have been very disappointed in his play. If he doesn't pick his game back up soon, he may be looking at Pyatt's spot in the press box when Max is healthy.

He has been making poor decisions, getting out of position, and failing to get the puck out of the zone on several occasions in recent games. He has gotten a fair number of breakaways shorthanded, but he has also gotten caught out on the ice far too long when the team is shorthanded and has missed several easy IMHO clearing attempts.

I hope you're right, as I am near my limit on watching his mental mistakes. The only glaring one that stood out in NJ was about 20 seconds before he got his breakaway he had a chance to clear the puck and floated a half-backhander to the line that was easily kept in by NJ.

His missing scoring chances doesn't faze me too much, as you are correct that scoring has never been a big part of his game.

I hope you're right, as I am near my limit on watching his mental mistakes. The only glaring one that stood out in NJ was about 20 seconds before he got his breakaway he had a chance to clear the puck and floated a half-backhander to the line that was easily kept in by NJ.

That seemed to be a bit of a trend in that game. I know Fitzpatrick had a few week clears too.

thats true but we have them anyway... if we could trade grier i would in a second for someone like max or pominville... max is my favorite player on that team... he's so exciting to watch break in... and when he scores on a play like that its nuts... but until we can move grier he will be in a sabres uniform and not in rochester... can't afford to put him on waivers or to let him take up a roster spot.

thats true but we have them anyway... if we could trade grier i would in a second for someone like max or pominville... max is my favorite player on that team... he's so exciting to watch break in... and when he scores on a play like that its nuts... but until we can move grier he will be in a sabres uniform and not in rochester... can't afford to put him on waivers or to let him take up a roster spot.

Greir is popular with management, though if drury and he keep their scoring droughts up, i dont see that lasting. I meant trade grier for a pick or something and promote pomiville. put him or max on 2nd line.

Archived