Brian Campbell -- stepping up

nfreeman

OK, I'll say it: Campbell has been playing pretty well the past few games. Last night I didn't see a single defensive gaffe. He's also skating the puck with a lot of speed and confidence. Based on last night's box score, he and Kalinin are the #2 defensive pairing (after Tallinder and Lydman and ahead of Fitzpatrick and Numminen) in terms of ice time.

I didn't think he was an NHL defenseman, but he is proving me wrong. Don't be surprised if Fitzpatrick, not Campbell, becomes the healthy scratch when McKee returns.

We still need a defenseman who can throw some hits around, but at least we have a little depth if one of the top 6 goes down.

I didn't think he was an NHL defenseman, but he is proving me wrong. Don't be surprised if Fitzpatrick, not Campbell, becomes the healthy scratch when McKee returns.

Fitzpatrick was horrible yesterday. He's not the most talented of players, but usually he gets passing grades based completely on heart and effort. That wasn't there yesterday. I saw way too many weak clearing attempts from him. There were a few other plays that caught my eye, but nothing's sparking my memory right now. With the game he played yesterday, I wouldn't mind seeing him benched over Campbell when Jay is back.

Fitzpatrick was horrible yesterday.  He's not the most talented of players, but usually he gets passing grades based completely on heart and effort.  That wasn't there yesterday.  I saw way too many weak clearing attempts from him.  There were a few other plays that caught my eye, but nothing's sparking my memory right now.  With the game he played yesterday, I wouldn't mind seeing him benched over Campbell when Jay is back.

I would prefer to see Tallinder sit before Fitzpatrick, but would not be surprised to see Rory take a seat when McKee is ready. Campbell has played much better to this point than he has in past seasons and does not deserve to get benched.

I'm not sure if if 2-4-6 with a -5 is "stepping up". If the Sabres had a stronger defense overall he could be more useful. Right now the Sabres are struggling to find one solid pairing on the blueline.

Considering that essentially the whole team has minus ratings due to the Sabres scoring over 40% of their goals on the pp and the thrashings handed to them by the Sens, and considering his career best is 19 pts w/ a -8 (and that with only 3 pp points), and also considering that if you watch where he is now vs where he was in '03-'04; I'd say yes he has stepped up his game.

5 of his points have come on the power play, so if those are added in, he's even. (No data on how many pp goals he was on the ice for that he wasn't involved in the scoring and no data on how many shorthanded goals against he was out for.) Considering the team +/- is -14 and the team overall has given up 6 more goals than it has scored, I don't think the -5 or even are remotely out of line (ESPECIALLY when you consider how bad he was in the past). The kid is only 26, I'm not ready to put him in the all-star game, but I like the way he has progressed (at both ends of the ice) so far this season from where he was in past seasons.

Considering that essentially the whole team has minus ratings due to the Sabres scoring over 40% of their goals on the pp and the thrashings handed to them by the Sens, and considering his career best is 19 pts w/ a -8 (and that with only 3 pp points), and also considering that if you watch where he is now vs where he was in '03-'04; I'd say yes he has stepped up his game.

5 of his points have come on the power play, so if those are added in, he's even. (No data on how many pp goals he was on the ice for that he wasn't involved in the scoring and no data on how many shorthanded goals against he was out for.) Considering the team +/- is -14 and the team overall has given up 6 more goals than it has scored, I don't think the -5 or even are remotely out of line (ESPECIALLY when you consider how bad he was in the past). The kid is only 26, I'm not ready to put him in the all-star game, but I like the way he has progressed (at both ends of the ice) so far this season from where he was in past seasons.

Be careful dave, logic is a 4 letter word around these parts.

Like I said. If he had a better defense around him he could be more useful.

Also,

If your going to add in the pp points as +'s. How many ppg's against has he been on for? Shouldn't those count as -'s?

He would be a good option at the #5 or 6 spot. But when you don't have the first four what's the point?

yea haha tallinder does suck and ive never been a campbell fan even a little bit buy he's starting to turn me... he's doing alright now actually, I think its because he knows he has to fight to stay on the team when mckee returns... but if he can continue this even after his job is at stake he'll be pretty solid... im still not a big fan of his but he is impressing me.

Like I said. If he had a better defense around him he could be more useful.

Also,

If your going to add in the pp points as +'s. How many ppg's against has he been on for?  Shouldn't those count as -'s?

He would be a good option at the #5 or 6 spot. But when you don't have the first four what's the point?

Yes they should, as should the pp goals he was on the ice for that he didn't pick up a goal or an assist on. But as I posted, I have no data on those situations.

(No data on how many pp goals he was on the ice for that he wasn't involved in the scoring and no data on how many shorthanded goals against he was out for.)
If you can find those data for me, I will add them in. I have no access to that data. Considering the Sabres have scored 19 ppg's that Campbell was not involved in the scoring on and they have given up only 16 shg's and I believe that Campbell gets more time on the pp unit than the sh unit, I felt an assumption that his non-credited pp points and sh points against would cancel each other out was valid.

me too... its been a surprise this year... you'd expect vanek, briere and drury to be picking it up but these guys are doing it... and last nights win and 2 goals from campbell were great... but pyatt... where did that guy come from... i mean i know its only one game... but still...

Guest #1SabresFan

Like i said DELUCA really doesn't know hockey.

BRIAN CAMBELL was player of the year in the CHL which is the highest award given.

He was a awesome defenceman in the Junoirs scoring i think around 85 points as a defenceman.

When it comes to players like that, like connelly like Pyatt like CAMBELL

it is very easy for them to get lost but a little bit of confidence maybe good sex with a hooker in a away town who knows really what does it but they turn on the light and become a really good player.

I am very suprised at Cambell's low production in the past but i have a feeling that he hasn't been given the time to mature in the minors, 2 or 3 solid seasons as apposed to being called up disrupting his maturing process. I think he would be a good defenceman if he is given the opportunity lets hope their is more to come.

BUFFALO SABRES is famous for great prospects underachieving I think Ruff doesn't know how to bond with Young players i am not sure he knows how to take a player and make him great.

And my point exactly DELUCA BILLS sell out every game and SABRES can't get a sell out but the leafs can???? GUYS you need to support the team to win or you give the ownership an excuse to see of players because no support.

#1 SabresFan reporting from portugal!!

Like i said DELUCA really doesn't know hockey.

BRIAN CAMBELL was player of the year in the CHL which is the highest award given.

He was a awesome defenceman in the Junoirs scoring i think around 85 points as a defenceman.

When it comes to players like that, like connelly like Pyatt like CAMBELL

it is very easy for them to get lost but a little bit of confidence maybe good sex with a hooker in a away town who knows really what does it but they turn on the light and become a really good player.

I am very suprised at Cambell's low production in the past but i have a feeling that he hasn't been given the time to mature in the minors, 2 or 3 solid seasons as apposed to being called up disrupting his maturing process. I think he would be a good defenceman if he is given the opportunity lets hope their is more to come.

BUFFALO SABRES is famous for great prospects underachieving I think Ruff doesn't know how to bond with Young players i am not sure he knows how to take a player and make him great.

And my point exactly DELUCA BILLS sell out every game and SABRES can't get a sell out but the leafs can???? GUYS you need to support the team to win or you give the ownership an excuse to see of players because no support.

#1 SabresFan reporting from portugal!!

i don't mean to take sides here but deluca reports on what he sees and lets face it the last 2 years campbell and connolly have SUCKED and HARD... so they deserve what deluca thought of them... so there good now thats great... and even deluca is impressed with there play... your just bragging now that this is in plain view...

i don't mean to take sides here but deluca reports on what he sees and lets face it the last 2 years campbell and connolly have SUCKED and HARD... so they deserve what deluca thought of them... so there good now thats great... and even deluca is impressed with there play... your just bragging now that this is in plain view...

connelly sucked before 2 years ago, he hasnt played in 2 years. Campbell has sucked since his been here, so yer, this year was a long time coming. good luck to him though, i hope this lasts.

Archived