just wrong...

DrunkenSabre

the entire team is in the minus in the +/- column apart from connelly, who is a +1. (There are a couple on 0 as well).

Anyone else think thats slightly amusing and just wrong?

The kid has played well.

It's up to him what type of season he will have. I would like to see him more in control. But I know at his speed it's kind of difficult.

This team is closer to the bottom then it is to the top. So if more players would step up (Drury, Grier or any defensemen) they could turn this season around.

Here's a little more on Connolly, relative to the guy we traded for him:

37 MICHAEL PECA 16 games 1 goal 5 assists 6 pts 12 PIM -1 plus/minus 0 ppg 0 shg 0 gwg 22 shots

TIM CONNOLLY BUF 18 games 4 goals 7 assists 11 pts 10 PIM +1 plus/minus 1 ppg 0 shg 2 gwg 36 shots

I know I keep harping on this but I love the way Connolly is playing. He's doing everything for the team this year -- including backchecking, skating hard and killing penalties. He had more ice time last night than any other forward. He's highly entertaining to watch, esp. with Kotelik and/or Max on his line. He made a very nifty play last night on Dumont's goal. He's probably not a full-blown star but he might be as good as Briere -- ie a potential 30-goal, 50-assist player.

Say what you will about Darcy, but getting Connolly (along with Pyatt, who might not do anything but on whom the jury is still out) for a guy who didn't want to play here any more and IMHO was overrated and demanding a way-too-high salary is turning out very well for the Sabres.

Now if Marty can just keep his head in the game we can rip off a few wins and avoid drowning until Miller gets back.

[Drury] may not like it, but he IS supposed to be the best player on the team

No.

He is supposed to give 100% on every shift, provide leadership and playoff-tested experience, win faceoffs, play 20 minutes a game including PP and PK, and score 20-30 goals and 55-70 points like he's done all his career.

He's doing that.

DELUCA funny you hated Connelly from the beginning i have since the beginning of the season thought he was a good player.

DELUCA blows nothing but HOT AIR but i guess thats hindsight 20/20 lol

he has all the answers

I think the people on here wanting to waive Connelly at the beginning and now are behind him are people who do not know hockey and their are alot of you. Including DELUCA who thinks SATAN and ZHITNIK would have put this team in the playoffs or the people think adding MARCHANT at 2.7 million is a great idea?

Please can someone say something interesting that makes sense not this stuff DELUCA and the rest of the robots spit out

DELUCA funny you hated Connelly from the beginning i have since the beginning of the season thought he was a good player.

DELUCA blows nothing but HOT AIR but i guess thats hindsight 20/20 lol

he has all the answers

I think the people on here wanting to waive Connelly at the beginning and now are behind him are people who do not know hockey and their are alot of you. Including DELUCA who thinks SATAN and ZHITNIK would have put this team in the playoffs or the people think adding MARCHANT at 2.7 million is a great idea?

Please can someone say something interesting that makes sense not this stuff DELUCA and the rest of the robots spit out

Instead of tossing my name out there to make yourself seem interesting. How about coming up with some thoughts of your own?

On your implication that somehow I have changed my stance on Connolly? He has played well. Not $1 million a year well. But well. With that he is still a bust. For what the Sabres gave up they are not getting a solid ROI.

Could you go into a little more detail on this? If you don't like Peca it's one thing. Let's not make things up.  <_<

Peca was on record (after a December deadline he and Meehan had set for getting a deal done came and went) as saying he would never play for the Sabres under the then current management (could be read as either Rigases, Darcy, or both). He held true to his word as the deal for Timmy and Pyatt was worked out at the next draft.

Peca was on record (after a December deadline he and Meehan had set for getting a deal done came and went) as saying he would never play for the Sabres under the then current management (could be read as either Rigases, Darcy, or both). He held true to his word as the deal for Timmy and Pyatt was worked out at the next draft.

Isn't that different?

Peca said he would never play for Regier? Not the Buffalo Sabres. In that case the Sabres made the wrong choice. But they didn't care. They were too busy stealing.

Isn't that different?

Peca said he would never play for Regier? Not the Buffalo Sabres. In that case the Sabres made the wrong choice. But they didn't care. They were too busy stealing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "isn't that different". Nfreeman said Peca did not want to play in Buffalo. In 2001, that was definitely the case.

As to your other point, I am not certain whether Peca was referring to Darcy or the Rigases or the whole kit & caboodle. The Rigases came up with whatever the top offer to Peca would be. Darcy was the one that had to present it to Meehan & Peca. Darcy did what John and Timmy wanted him to do, take the heat off them for providing Peca a low ball offer (initially), there was no way they were unhappy with Darcy at the time. (I actually thought that the Sabres were offering Peca very fair offers by the time negotiations broke down, but Peca didn't seem to agree and the next year the Isles gave him a lot more than I ever thought he'd be offered, but then again based on what they gave Yashin nothing would truly surprise me coming out of that organization.) I'm not sure who specifically within the Sabres Peca was ticked at, but he sure was ticked.

On your implication that somehow I have changed my stance on Connolly? He has played well. Not $1 million a year well.

If he continues playing like he has this season, $1M is not a bad deal at all...

I hated losing Peca, and to replace him with two we got for him just seemed an abomination. However, TC at least seems to be coming of age this year. It may be that there was a good investment in that trade after all.

connolly was more of a wild card at the beginning of this season then anything because of the amount of time he was out... we all didn't know what he'd done to improve himself or what needed to be done to stay healthy. he's been a surprise to me but like every other hockey player... when there scoring we love em... when there cold we kill em... such is the way hockey goes...

If he continues playing like he has this season, $1M is not a bad deal at all...

I hated losing Peca, and to replace him with two we got for him just seemed an abomination. However, TC at least seems to be coming of age this year. It may be that there was a good investment in that trade after all.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: right now, Connolly is a better player than Peca. I wouldn't trade Connolly for Peca.

Peca is overrated, overpaid and very average on offense. He had a terrible year the season after we got hosed in the finals and dragged the whole team (his team, since he was the captain) down with him. Then he sat out for a season and got himself traded to a team that overpaid him. He didn't take the Islanders anywhere and he's since been traded again.

Peca was a nice player when we had him, and I wouldn't mind having him on our team, but not at $4 million per year or even at $1 million. I'd rather give his shifts to Gaustadt, who has just as much guts but is a lot bigger, younger and cheaper and arguably has more skills.

My bottom line is that Peca seems to have been elevated into the canon along with the French Connection, Danny Gare, Schoenfeld, etc. but I think this is totally unjustified. He was the best skater on a team that was essentially Dominik plus a bunch of string and rubber bands -- but that doesn't mean he was a great player.

Connelly, on the other hand, has a ton of potential and is finally coupling it with determination. If he keeps it up he will be a very good player for us for a long time.

Maybe someone out there can dig up the names of a few other players with a similar contract. That would give us a good idea of whether or not he's worth it. I'd do it, but I'm way too lazy.

Maybe someone out there can dig up the names of a few other players with a similar contract.  That would give us a good idea of whether or not he's worth it.  I'd do it, but I'm way too lazy.

Some guys counting $950k - $1.05MM against the salary cap in no particular order and definitely not the entire list:

Colorado - Boughner

Montreal - Bulis, Ryder, Sundstrom

Dallas - Klemm

Ottawa - Schaefer

Edmonton - Ulanov

Pittsburgh - Roy

Detroit - Kronvall

Boston - McEachern

Minnesota - Bouchard

Archived