Sabres and C-Bus perfect trade partners?

Two or less

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=143187&hubname=nhl

"Columbus has enough cap room to afford Fedorov, but the payroll is higher than the Jackets' ownership would like so you can expect to see some more deals in Columbus as they try to shed some salary."

Columbus gets Fedorov for nearly nobody, but rumours have it, like this one but on other sites i've read that they need to dump someone.

Looking at their roster, they have some guys Buffalo could really use, even Todd Marchant... as a 4th line liner he'd be no worse then Pyatt, although i know he makes alot. But, i was looking deeper then that. I've read, that the 3 guys most likey to be dealt due to Feds being send there is Marchant, Suchy and/or Luke Richardson.

Wouldn't Richardson make the prefect fit in Buffalo? Hard hitter, playoff expierence, always plays hard. He leaves all he has on the ice and seems like a Buffalo-type player. If Columbus keep on losing, even with Fedorov, could it be possible we could deal for Adam Foote? They could use a keeper, Biron for Foote?

Personally, i'd prefer to get Richardson for minor leaguer, then deal Biron for another d-men like Sementov.

But, i definetly see a deal between us and Columbus though. Who wouldn't want Richardson?

And sorry for making a new thread for this, the other topic is all about deals and rumours about others, this one is stickly for a possible Sabres/Columbus deal.

Thoughts?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=143187&hubname=nhl

"Columbus has enough cap room to afford Fedorov, but the payroll is higher than the Jackets' ownership would like so you can expect to see some more deals in Columbus as they try to shed some salary."

Columbus gets Fedorov for nearly nobody, but rumours have it, like this one but on other sites i've read that they need to dump someone.

Looking at their roster, they have some guys Buffalo could really use, even Todd Marchant... as a 4th line liner he'd be no worse then Pyatt, although i know he makes alot. But, i was looking deeper then that. I've read, that the 3 guys most likey to be dealt due to Feds being send there is Marchant, Suchy and/or Luke Richardson.

Wouldn't Richardson make the prefect fit in Buffalo? Hard hitter, playoff expierence, always plays hard. He leaves all he has on the ice and seems like a Buffalo-type player. If Columbus keep on losing, even with Fedorov, could it be possible we could deal for Adam Foote? They could use a keeper, Biron for Foote?

Personally, i'd prefer to get Richardson for minor leaguer, then deal Biron for another d-men like Sementov.

But, i definetly see a deal between us and Columbus though. Who wouldn't want Richardson?

And sorry for making a new thread for this, the other topic is all about deals and rumours about others, this one is stickly for a possible Sabres/Columbus deal.

Thoughts?

Another fouth line player and another slow footed useless defensemen?

You really have your finger on the pulse of the Sabres. Maybe they can also go out and get another goalie. ;)

Here's what The Sabres should've done in the goalie dept :

Gotten rid of BOTH Noronen and Biron, let Leighton play backup for Miller, and sign Shields.

Yup, Shields sucks, but so does Biron. No, I'm not convinced just cause he managed not to implode completely in one single game. Let me see him put forth an effort like last night on a consistent basis, then we'll talk. Until he does, he'll still suck in my mind.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

Here's what The Sabres should've done in the goalie dept :

Gotten rid of BOTH Noronen and Biron, let Leighton play backup for Miller, and sign Shields.

Yup, Shields sucks, but so does Biron. No, I'm not convinced just cause he managed not to implode completely in one single game. Let me see him put forth an effort like last night on a consistent basis, then we'll talk. Until he does, he'll still suck in my mind.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

I think my IQ level just dropped after reading that post...... :rolleyes:

So sitting on your hands doing nothing is better?

Mika is effectively not doing anything but taking up a roster spot atm. Will he ever play for The Sabres again for that matter? Certainly doesn't seem that way.

Biron continues to stink it up, but for one or two games so far, so what makes you think that Leighton couldn't have put up a just as "good" numbers as Marty has done so far? Plus he comes a lot cheaper.

Guest apuszczalowski

TSN is now reporting that it looks like Marchant is looking to be the guy to leave CB. They are trying to deal him, but he could be put on waivers as early as noon today if a deal doesn't look possible. Hes 32 making 2.47m for this year and next then 2.66m in the final year of his contract. He is also a leader in the locker room and someone highly respected by his team. If he is put on waivers, Buffalo should take a chance on him, he would bring some more leadership to the team

Guest Hit him with your purse Bill&#33

What would Marchant bring to this team, other than another fast forward who can't finish. This guy has been utterly silent since he signed with the CBJ, after scoffing Darcy's offers, what has he possibly shown that makes anyone think he will suddenly thrive in Buffalo? and at $2.47M!

If a homecoming is what is needed why isn't Aaron Miller being pursued. At least he can skate and hit unlike the CBJ's other offering Luke Richardson. Sure it would be nice to imagine Big Luke hammering the Ottawa studs, but honestly do you think this will happen. Didn't the Flyers (and now the Leafs) realize that big slow defensemen hurt more than help.

As for the goaltending situation; Lindy will make any excuse to ride Biron, who admittedly is looking better each game, but will only make this issue worse when Miller recovers. I would agree make a move any move, trade Marty trade Mika whatever, but sitting one for so long does little good for them, the team, and their potential trade value.

What would Marchant bring to this team, other than another fast forward who can't finish. This guy has been utterly silent since he signed with the CBJ, after scoffing Darcy's offers, what has he possibly shown that makes anyone think he will suddenly thrive in Buffalo? and at $2.47M!

If a homecoming is what is needed why isn't Aaron Miller being pursued. At least he can skate and hit unlike the CBJ's other offering Luke Richardson. Sure it would be nice to imagine Big Luke hammering the Ottawa studs, but honestly do you think this will happen. Didn't the Flyers (and now the Leafs) realize that big slow defensemen hurt more than help.

As for the goaltending situation; Lindy will make any excuse to ride Biron, who admittedly is looking better each game, but will only make this issue worse when Miller recovers. I would agree make a move any move, trade Marty trade Mika whatever, but sitting one for so long does little good for them, the team, and their potential trade value.

How could it make matters worse when Miller returns? Miller was the better goalie in camp, has put up better stats, and can even make a big save with the game on the line. If Biron plays good until then, it will be easier to trade him.

So what if Marchant is not a defenseman, add him and he will make another player on the team expendable. Now you can throw in another player with a goalie in a trade and maybe get a better defenseman.

People actually think trading Marty or Mika is gonna bring in anything besides a draftpick? A team as desperate for goaltending like the thrashers were supposedly only offering a 2nd round pick. You have to give up something to get something.

Marchant is a decent player that could maybe help our young team on and off the ice and has name recognition that might bring a few more fans into the seats cause its gonna look like we are atleast making an effort to get better. And at 2.47m a year, its not that bad, its not like we don't have the room for it. Hell we paid teppo 2x more than what anyone else wold have.

So what if Marchant is not a defenseman, add him and he will make another player on the team expendable. Now you can throw in another player with a goalie in a trade and maybe get a better defenseman.

People actually think trading Marty or Mika is gonna bring in anything besides a draftpick? A team as desperate for goaltending like the thrashers were supposedly only offering a 2nd round pick. You have to give up something to get something.

Marchant is a decent player that could maybe help our young team on and off the ice and has name recognition that might bring a few more fans into the seats cause its gonna look like we are atleast making an effort to get better. And at 2.47m a year, its not that bad, its not like we don't have the room for it. Hell we paid teppo 2x more than what anyone else wold have.

Todd couldn't sell enough tickets to make up for the $2 million. Once he clears waivers they could sign him.

I still don't think you get better by adding players at the bottom of the roster. But if you get him dirt cheap and he can sell some tickets by being a WNY kid? Go ahead. He doesn't make the team better but they can use the ticket sales.

Why pay Marchant that much when you already have Pominville in Rochester?

because pominville while filled with heart and some talent from the AHL is still not marchant... yes this is debatable... but marchant is a somewhat proven nhl forward while pominville still has some learning to do.

Why pay Marchant that much when you already have Pominville in Rochester?

Because he is a proven NHLer and Pominville doesn't have much NHL experience. Do we really need another young developping rookie in our line-up?

I'm not saying Marchant is going to be a player that will move us up to being an elite NHL team, and his contract is a bit high, But what else are we going to do. We have the money to spare, he's speedy, he's a guy players respect and look up to being a leader in the locker room. We need some more veteran leaders in the locker room.

We can wait for Columbus to try and recall him and get him off re-entry waivers for half price, but theres gonna be alot more teams interested in him by that time.

Lets face it, we are not going to deal Biron til Millers back (and Noronen will continue to rot on the bench) and we do not have any players on this roster that will get us anything more then draft picks (that would be worth giving up) until we reach the deadline and teams start dumping salary. By that time we could be out of the playoff picture completely.

I would really like to know what kind of deal Washington is looking for to get Witt to Buffalo (or if Witt would even be willing to come here). I hear he is impressed at how much interest Toronto Fans have in him coming to T.O. (but Toronto fans think anyone who demands a trade, becomes a F.A., or plays hockey is coming to T.O.)

because pominville while filled with heart and some talent from the AHL is still not marchant... yes this is debatable... but marchant is a somewhat proven nhl forward while pominville still has some learning to do.

But is the talent proportional to the salary? Also, Marchant's deal is through 07-08. Over that period of time, it's a pretty safe bet that Pominville has a much higher value since he's making probably less than a quarter of what Marchant is.

Long story short, at his current salary, Marchant is not worth picking up. If he clears waivers and Columbus is willing to pick up part of his salary, then it would be worth exploring.

But is the talent proportional to the salary? Also, Marchant's deal is through 07-08. Over that period of time, it's a pretty safe bet that Pominville has a much higher value since he's making probably less than a quarter of what Marchant is.

Long story short, at his current salary, Marchant is not worth picking up. If he clears waivers and Columbus is willing to pick up part of his salary, then it would be worth exploring.

According to THN, under the new CBA teams are not allowed to pay a portion of the salary of players they trade. Jagr being one of the few exceptions that was grandfathered into the system.

So much for that.  What a terrible rule.

If they didn't have the rule, it would be very easy for teams to get around the salary cap. For example, NJ could add Brendan Witt from the Caps for some prospects and Washington paying $1.172MM of his salary. Witt would then only count as $500k against NJ. They could send Paul Martin or Ari Ahonen to the minors and they actually would have freed up some cap space.

He was not claimed by anyteam and may or may not go to the minors. They may just make him inactive til they can trade him. Apparently a couple teams inquired about him and columbus is now looking intothose as trade options.

As for someone asking why someone would trade for him and not just claim him off waivers, its because with a trade they can clear up cap space by trading away another player. If NJ was interested in him, they wouldn't have cap space to acquire him through waivers, but to trade someone they will free up some extra cash to make room for him. Columbus can also work a 3-way deal that would allow him to go somewhere and so they don't pick up anymore salaries (this is a cost cutting move for them, thats why they are getting rid of him), they can send the player they pick up for him to another team and pick up draft picks or prospects that won't cost them anything.

I'm just wondering what teams were inquiring about him. Probably not Buffalo, DR is probably too busy trying to work a deal to get us some magic beans for Briere.

He was not claimed by anyteam and may or may not go to the minors. They may just make him inactive til they can trade him. Apparently a couple teams inquired about him and columbus is now looking intothose as trade options.

As for someone asking why someone would trade for him and not just claim him off waivers, its because with a trade they can clear up cap space by trading away another player. If NJ was interested in him, they wouldn't have cap space to acquire him through waivers, but to trade someone they will free up some extra cash to make room for him. Columbus can also work a 3-way deal that would allow him to go somewhere and so they don't pick up anymore salaries (this is a cost cutting move for them, thats why they are getting rid of him), they can send the player they pick up for him to another team and pick up draft picks or prospects that won't cost them anything.

I'm just wondering what teams were inquiring about him. Probably not Buffalo, DR is probably too busy trying to work a deal to get us some magic beans for Briere.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=143386&hubname=nhl

Some magic beans for Briere? Are you advocating trading Briere?

If they didn't have the rule, it would be very easy for teams to get around the salary cap. For example, NJ could add Brendan Witt from the Caps for some prospects and Washington paying $1.172MM of his salary. Witt would then only count as $500k against NJ. They could send Paul Martin or Ari Ahonen to the minors and they actually would have freed up some cap space.

But at the same time, Columbus would still have to deal with the salary cap. They might not be willing to eat too much of the contract since they still have to deal with the cap.

The easiest way to fix this problem would have been to make a maximum amount of salary that could be included in a trade. Without analzing this situation too deeply, it seems like a fair way for teams to deal with salary cap issues.

Heck no, I am just saying that our superb GM is probably busy trying to make this team even worse with a wonderful trade that could only help this team.

You take retarded to a whole new level, even higher than DeLuca :unsure:

Archived