great game tonight

Corp000085

definitely the best game of the year for the sabres. connolly scored 2 goals, vanek scored on the single worst botch job no-goal situation since brett hull. biron let in 2 softies, but faced some serious pressure and ended up on top for once. the big story though is that this was a huge win to hopefully get the sabres off of their butts. BTW, Connolly's second goal will no doubt be the #1 top ten plays of the night on sportscentre, and on ESBN it will no doubt be the #1 top ten play right behind some basketball hilights, fo shizzle.

definitely the best game of the year for the sabres. connolly scored 2 goals, vanek scored on the single worst botch job no-goal situation since brett hull. biron let in 2 softies, but faced some serious pressure and ended up on top for once. the big story though is that this was a huge win to hopefully get the sabres off of their butts. BTW, Connolly's second goal will no doubt be the #1 top ten plays of the night on sportscentre, and on ESBN it will no doubt be the #1 top ten play right behind some basketball hilights, fo shizzle.

Come on. Give credit when credit is due. Biron was the better goalie.

The first goal was because the defense couldn't clear the puck.

The second was because the defense couldn't handle the Big Guy.

Biron won this game for the Sabres.

If only Grier, Connolly and Drury showed up every night. This team could be talking about home ice.

Peace ;)

I'll give credit to the entire team for playing a great game... I'll give credit to biron when he plays an entire 60 minutes without giving up a bonehead goal. Yes its a tall order, but he is playing for some big bucks and to showcase himself to the league while miller heals. With that said though, biron was the much better goalie tonight. Ed belfour looked terrible. I did like the TSN guys mentioning his "secret special elixer" for his waterbottle after one of the intermissions.

If only Grier, Connolly and Drury showed up every night. This team could be talking about home ice.

Peace ;)

A sane voice in the wilderness.

That 2nd Connolly goal was a thing of beauty. Usually when they score, I'll chear. For that one, all I could do was say 'wow'.

As for the Vanek goal that was called back, I love how the league made a phantom ruling a couple minutes later to cover their . Does that sound familiar to anyone else? Oh well, it really doesn't matter since he got the empty netter a little later. Toronto would've never pulled the goalie if that first goal had counted, so it all evens out in the end.

Peace ;)

Scary, we pretty much agree on this one. :o ;)

Part of the reason the D couldn't handle Marty's "pass" on the 1st goal and clear the puck was Roy was the only penalty killer that managed to get off the ice on either of the 2 times they cleared the zone. I'm not sure what Marty should have done there, but what he did was (in the words of an old friend of mine) "not good".

Marty definitely played his best game of the season. If he was not as good as he was, the Sabres would have lost long before they got to the 3rd.

I agree with you that Connolly played great and Drury looked good. Did Grier do anything except score the goal to impress you? The reason I ask is, prior to the goal, I was very unhappy with his play. (Granted, scoring the insurance goal makes up for a lot of other shortcomings, but I was curious if he looked good on the telly because he did not in person.)

Scary, we pretty much agree on this one. :o ;)

Part of the reason the D couldn't handle Marty's "pass" on the 1st goal and clear the puck was Roy was the only penalty killer that managed to get off the ice on either of the 2 times they cleared the zone. I'm not sure what Marty should have done there, but what he did was (in the words of an old friend of mine) "not good".

Marty definitely played his best game of the season. If he was not as good as he was, the Sabres would have lost long before they got to the 3rd.

I agree with you that Connolly played great and Drury looked good. Did Grier do anything except score the goal to impress you? The reason I ask is, prior to the goal, I was very unhappy with his play. (Granted, scoring the insurance goal makes up for a lot of other shortcomings, but I was curious if he looked good on the telly because he did not in person.)

As long as Grier "shows up" on the scoreboard that's fine. This team has enough "roll players". They need guys who can put the puck in the net.

Is this the first game they won when Briere didn't score?

don't forget Marty is a good goalie maybe it has taken him a few games to hit his stride he has been off for over a year and a half then jumps into NHL action hopefully he plays well his stock rises and could be the best thing ever to happen to the sabres

Sorry, I must disagree. Marty is far from "a good goalie". Marty stinks. There is a reason he was 0 and 4 coming into last night's game. He lets in soft goals at critical times, resulting in the team playing with much less confidence when he is in there as compared with Miller. This has been the case for 3+ years. He has had enough chances to establish himself as a legit NHL goalie and the verdict is in, IMHO: he isn't.

Having said that, he did play well (but not great) last night. But does anyone here have any confidence that Ottawa won't be up 3-0 after 1 period tonight? What we need is for Marty to come out, on the road against a strong opponent, and play GREAT, so the team knows it can compete with the best. That is what a real NHL goalie does. I think we just might get that with Miller, but we are not going to get it from Marty. We know how this story ends. We've seen it too many times already. I'd rather see Noronen get a few starts in a row so we find out whether he can play.

Bottom line is that Miller will probably miss about 25 games and we will probably lose about 17 of those games (we're off to a 1 and 4 start, so there are 20 left). That will put us about 10 games under .500 going into the 2nd half of the season. We will probably need to finish 7 or 8 games above .500 to make the playoffs, so out of the last 42 games, we will need to win about 30. I think we can do that with Miller, but it will be tough.

Go Sabres. Ottawa is great but we CAN win tonight. We need great goaltending, a lot of hitting from Gaustad and Mair and some scoring from Connelly, Vanek etc.

That call against TOR and then blowing the play dead, WHEN WE HAD THE FREAKIN PUCK was complete BS!! What the hell were they doing?? Vanek's goal was awesome and shoulda counted instead of the empty netter! What was the REFs problem there? We had the puck!! :angry:

One other thing. Did J Pomminstein suit up for the Sabres on his recall? I don't remember seeing him at all. Was he sent back to RaChaCha?? I really want to see what this kid can do soon. I like Derek Roy too.

One other thing. Did J Pomminstein suit up for the Sabres on his recall? I don't remember seeing him at all. Was he sent back to RaChaCha?? I really want to see what this kid can do soon. I like Derek Roy too.

He played briefly in the 1st Montreal game and then was returned to Rochester the next day.

Archived