Wait a minute....

deluca67

You laugh at Lydman, but if he's in there, the Sabres don't have to use their #3 pairing against one of the league's 3 hottest lines. I'd much rather have seen him and Kalinin against the Staal line than Rory and Henrik.

The Sabres don't have a #3. You can't have a #3 if you don't have a #2 or #1.

Face the facts. This franchise did nothing to help the blueline. They let their best walk away without equal compensation and they are paying the price. 6 of 7. Can someone say 8 of 9.

Whats the spread for the Sens game Sares +6?

Face the facts. This franchise did nothing to help the blueline. They let their best walk away without equal compensation and they are paying the price. 6 of 7. Can someone say 8 of 9.

i agree... theres nothing back at the blue line... the way cole broke though the defense shouldn't have happened... i mean 2 on one and you still have to haul him down and take a penalty shot? like really... sad just sad.

OK, so if the team still had Zhitnik, then Rory and Henrik would be considered the #3 pairing; but Z is gone so now even when the D is healthy, all 3 defensive pairings are equivalently pathetic?

When the roster is healthy Rory and Henrik ARE the #5 & 6 D. Your not liking that fact does not alter it.

Also, this probably should go in another thread, but for those who did not notice, while the Sabres are on a 4 game losing streak (and I will agree with the other posters on the board that the Sabres should not have gone into a defensive shell against Montreal and had they not they probably would have won the 1st Montreal game), the 4 games they lost were to Ottawa, Montreal, and Carolina. There are only 6 teams in the league that have lost 3 or fewer games. These guys are 1/2 of that #. And 2 of their 7 losses came against each other. Yes, the Sabres couldn't beat them. Guess what, nobody else is beating them now either.

With the current injuries the Sabres have, these 3 teams are better than the Sabres. But not only are they better than the current injury depleted Sabres, these 3 are better than just about everybody else at this point. Without the current injuries the Sens are still better than the Sabres. The other 2 are better than what the Sabres are currently putting out there, but not by much. The Sabres did not get their butts handed to them in any of the other games. If Marty could have come up with 1 or 2 more big saves (and he did actually have a couple) or if the Sabres could have gotten some more bodies in front of the net on the myriad of shots they had from the point, they would have beaten the Canes.

This team is not as lousy as DeLuca lets on. This team is not a Stanley Cup contender, but they aren't a contender for next year's version of the Crosby derby either.

OK, so if the team still had Zhitnik, then Rory and Henrik would be considered the #3 pairing; but Z is gone so now even when the D is healthy, all 3 defensive pairings are equivalently pathetic?

When the roster is healthy Rory and Henrik ARE the #5 & 6 D. Your not liking that fact does not alter it.

Also, this probably should go in another thread, but for those who did not notice, while the Sabres are on a 4 game losing streak (and I will agree with the other posters on the board that the Sabres should not have gone into a defensive shell against Montreal and had they not they probably would have won the 1st Montreal game), the 4 games they lost were to Ottawa, Montreal, and Carolina. There are only 6 teams in the league that have lost 3 or fewer games. These guys are 1/2 of that #. And 2 of their 7 losses came against each other. Yes, the Sabres couldn't beat them. Guess what, nobody else is beating them now either.

With the current injuries the Sabres have, these 3 teams are better than the Sabres. But not only are they better than the current injury depleted Sabres, these 3 are better than just about everybody else at this point. Without the current injuries the Sens are still better than the Sabres. The other 2 are better than what the Sabres are currently putting out there, but not by much. The Sabres did not get their butts handed to them in any of the other games. If Marty could have come up with 1 or 2 more big saves (and he did actually have a couple) or if the Sabres could have gotten some more bodies in front of the net on the myriad of shots they had from the point, they would have beaten the Canes.

This team is not as lousy as DeLuca lets on. This team is not a Stanley Cup contender, but they aren't a contender for next year's version of the Crosby derby either.

There is no difference between #2,#3,#4,#5 and #6. You can go to #9.

You can put them in any order and it doesn't change a thing. The point about Z is simple. You can't take talent off of the top of your roster and replace it with talent at the bottom.

Is Z perfect? No.

Are all the complaints legit? Most are, Yes.

Was he the best you had. Yes

Did you replace him? No.

Are you better without him? No.

Does he make you a contender? No.

Does he make you better? Yes.

The same can be said Satan.

So go ahead and number the defensemen all you want. It doesn't make them legit NHL blueliners. And it doesn't make the Sabres a playoff team. Continue to make excuses. If you do? Maybe you can be GM of Sabres.

There is no difference between #2,#3,#4,#5 and #6. You can go to #9.

You can put them in any order and it doesn't change a thing. The point about Z is simple. You can't take talent off of the top of your roster and replace it with talent at the bottom.

Is Z perfect? No.

Are all the complaints legit? Most are, Yes.

Was he the best you had. Yes

Did you replace him? No.

Are you better without him? No.

Does he make you a contender? No.

Does he make you better? Yes.

The same can be said Satan. 

So go ahead and number the defensemen all you want. It doesn't make them legit NHL blueliners. And it doesn't make the Sabres a playoff team. Continue to make excuses. If you do? Maybe you can be GM of Sabres.

DeLuca, do you actually believe what you are writing? There is NO DIFFERENCE between Jay McKee and Doug Janik?!? If you are serious, you are fast approaching the point of being blinded by hate my friend.

I absolutely wish that they had found a way to sign Zhitnik. It did not happen. The fact that it did not happen does not make Jay McKee an AHL caliber defenseman.

I know you despise Darcy and all his future decendants. I don't have a problem with that. It doesn't change the fact that Darcy DID try to replace Zhitnik. He made a legitimate offer to Aucoin. Aucoin did not accept the Sabres offer. He went to Chicago instead. Aucoin would have filled Zhitnik's role nicely. He would actually have been an upgrade. It didn't happen either. Regier went to plan C (or maybe even plan D) and signed Teppo. Teppo was never meant to REPLACE Zhitnik, Aucoin was but that ship didn't sail. Teppo is serviceable. Lydman after the 1st week has played well.

I'm not sure how I am arguing with you about the overall quality of the defensemen as I am one of the 1st people to say that Buffalo's D-corp is weak. I think it comes back to your question: "are ALL the complaints legit". The answer is NO, they are not all legit. Several of them are; but some, such as implying Jay McKee belongs in the AHL are not. I am going to call you on (most of) the ones that BLATENTLY AREN'T legit.

Even if you were correct about none of the Sabres D belonging in the NHL, it would not alter the fact that some are better than others. If the Sabres had been able to pair up some combination of McKee-Lydman and/or Kalinin-Numminen against the Staal line, there is a very good chance the Sabres would have won the game. Tallinder was in over his head playing against those guys, but Lindy must have thought (and I'd have to say I agree with him) that he matched up better against that line than either Campbell or Jillson. Tallinder took the penalty that turned the 1st period upside down, couldn't prevent the pass coming out front that lead to the 1st Carolina goal, and made a beautiful pass onto the tape of the Carolina forward to start the play on the 2nd Canes goal. Lydman or McKee being available and playing on a pairing against the Staal line would not have made a difference in your opinion according to your previous posts. We definitely do not see eye to eye on that one.

I don't think the Sabres are a top 4 or 5 team. I do see them battling for a playoff spot all season though (assuming they injury to Ryan doesn't bury them too far off pace; and as I've posted, I expect them to beat Toronto on Friday) and probably sneaking into the playoffs at #7.

Please explain to me how saying the Sabres are not as good as Ottawa, Montreal, or Carolina is "making excuses". While you are at it, could you also explain to me how the Sabres will finish slightly above .500 and in 13th place in a 15 team conference?

If the Sabres had been able to pair up some combination of McKee-Lydman and/or Kalinin-Numminen against the Staal line, there is a very good chance the Sabres would have won the game.

What? Sometimes you say things that sound smart. Then you come out with this. :lol:

I'm not sure how I am arguing with you about the overall quality of the defensemen as I am one of the 1st people to say that Buffalo's D-corp is weak. I think it comes back to your question: "are ALL the complaints legit". The answer is NO, they are not all legit. Several of them are; but some, such as implying Jay McKee belongs in the AHL are not. I am going to call you on (most of) the ones that BLATENTLY AREN'T legit.

Since my time is limited this morning I'll answer a few and get back to the rest.

To your point below.

The "complaints" I noted were of Z. It was an answer to his critics who have posted over and over his short comings.

Saying McKee belongs in the AHL is a bit of an over statement. McKee maybe a middle man. He is not close to Kalinin and may be better then the rest. But my overall feelings are the same. McKee is not a difference maker. You can check back at my early posts where I hammered the Sabres for how he was treated. I even suggested he would be a better fit as a Captain then the two they picked (though at this point I have no complaints about Briere. Drury is another matter for another thread). I expected McKee to step up and have a comeback year. It didn't happen. He has a bunch of blocked shots that show he is trying which makes his overall performance so disappointing. He just may not have it in him.

As far as the Sabres finishing above .500 and 13th. I belive I said said the Sabres could finish as high as 6-8 games over .500 and still miss the playoffs. The East is that strong this year. I stil think they are the 13th best team in the East. Unless the Pens take off or Atlanta gets a goalie then they can fall further.

hmm my take on Mckee is he's better then most of whats out there on our blue line.... he's probably 2nd behind kalinin or 3rd if you put teppo or lydman between them... he's not worse then brian campbell and hendrik tallinder... tallinder has a cool last name and thats about all he's good for... I was never a big Mckee fan... i liked warrener but meh those 2 were deadly together... but i digress... anyway overall Mckee belongs on this team... he's not great but good enough for 3rd or 4th D position.

hmm my take on Mckee is he's better then most of whats out there on our blue line.... he's probably 2nd behind kalinin or 3rd if you put teppo or lydman between them... he's not worse then brian campbell and hendrik tallinder... tallinder has a cool last name and thats about all he's good for... I was never a big Mckee fan... i liked warrener but meh those 2 were deadly together... but i digress... anyway overall Mckee belongs on this team... he's not great but good enough for 3rd or 4th D position.

On this team? I would agree.

Someone had mentioned about "trying" to get Aucoin? That in it's self should be more of an indictment of Regier. A quailty player who goes elsewhere because of the tarnished image of this franchise. Aucoin is not the first and won't be the last to turn down an offer from the Sabres until a GM comes in who can change the image of this team.

On this team? I would agree. 

Someone had mentioned about "trying" to get Aucoin? That in it's self should be more of an indictment of Regier. A quailty player who goes elsewhere because of the tarnished image of this franchise. Aucoin is not the first and won't be the last to turn down an offer from the Sabres until a GM comes in who can change the image of this team.

I will agree with you that the team's image has been tarnished over the last few years. How much of that is Darcy and how much of it is having been owned by tightwad criminals and then passing into receivership? I'd say the latter has far more of the credit for a tarnished image than the former.

I have not heard Aucoin's reasons for choosing the Hawks over the Sabres, so I can't comment on them. If you have a link to them, I will check them out. Please remember my sound card is fried, so a text link / newspaper article would be preferred.

I've posted before that I think this is the 1st year that Darcy has had a fair / legitimate opportunity to show what he can do as a GM. I give him a pass on the Zhitnik and Aucoin situations and give him a poor grade for misreading the climate on the Satan situation. I think picking up Lydman for a 3rd rounder was a good thing. I will judge him on what he does this season and next off-season. If he is not performing better then I will join your chorus to can him.

Sorry for jumping between you two but, Deluca I think McKee is needeed (he makes more of the valuable saves then Biron does) and Dave, I don't think Teppo even replaces Patrick.  Can't we at least try and lure him back?

Actually, I think Teppo was brought in basically as Patrick's replacement. If the Sabres could get him back, I would not have a problem with it; I just don't see it happening.

With the Sabres not signing Zhitnik or Aucoin, Kalinin became the defacto replacement for Zhitnik and I believe the hope was that some combination of McKee or Lydman could step into Kalinin's role.

I am not sure why I posted this, as I have said before I don't want to argue on behalf of the Sabres D. I think they are in the lower half of the league and agree they are worse without Z than they were with him.

Archived