Terrible 3rd period team

zow2

What's with this team?!? When they do have a 3rd period lead they blow it and when they battle back to tie it in the 3rd they STILL blow it. It's amazing how our opponents goalies always make a big 3rd period saves but the Sabres haven't made a big 3rd period save all year. Look back to losses vs. Florida, Wash, NJ, Mont...then last night we still couldn't pitch a 3rd period shutout to at least have a chance to tie it. OK, the goalies aren't all to blame, the O is the same as always. Lot's of nice chances but no finishing touch. Welcome to the basement of the Northeast BUffalo. We'll be here for a while. Good thing we have all those Canadian teams in our division so HSBC will still get sold out on occassion.

I was thinking last night; How many of the Sabres 14 games have they had a lead and given it up at least once suring the game?

I know this is the new NHL where no lead is safe, but it feels like every game the Sabres have had a lead, they've let the other team at least tie it at some point.

Answering my own question...

Game 1: Gave up 2 leads - won 6-4.

Game 2: Never let go of lead - won 4-1.

Game 3: Never led - lost 5-0.

Game 4: Gave up 2 leads - won 3-2 (OT).

Game 5: Gave up 1 lead - won 4-3 (OT).

Game 6: Gave up 1 lead - lost 3-2.

Game 7: Gave up 1 lead - won 3-2.

Game 8: Never let go of lead - won 3-1.

Game 9: Gave up 1 lead - lost 3-2.

Game 10: Never led - lost 3-2.

Game 11: Gave up 1 lead - won 6-4

Game 12: Never led - lost 10-4.

Game 13: Gave up 2 leads - lost 3-2.

Game 14: Never led - lost 3-2.

Totals:

Never led - 4 games.

Never let go of lead - 2 games.

Led but gave it up at some point - 8 (5-3 in those games)

So of 14 games, the Sabres have only really "put away" two teams. Disturbing.

Answering my own question...

Game 1: Gave up 2 leads - won 6-4.

Game 2: Never let go of lead - won 4-1.

Game 3: Never led - lost 5-0.

Game 4: Gave up 2 leads - won 3-2 (OT).

Game 5: Gave up 1 lead - won 4-3 (OT).

Game 6: Gave up 1 lead - lost 3-2.

Game 7: Gave up 1 lead - won 3-2.

Game 8: Never let go of lead - won 3-1.

Game 9: Gave up 1 lead - lost 3-2.

Game 10: Never led - lost 3-2.

Game 11: Gave up 1 lead - won 6-4

Game 12: Never led - lost 10-4.

Game 13: Gave up 2 leads - lost 3-2.

Game 14: Never led - lost 3-2.

Totals:

Never led - 4 games.

Never let go of lead - 2 games.

Led but gave it up at some point - 8 (5-3 in those games)

So of 14 games, the Sabres have only really "put away" two teams. Disturbing.

thats an ugly stat... ... its true though... we could be in for it... and in a big way... if that trend continues i don't see us haveing any chance at doing anything this year.

Sabres have stunk in the 3rd ever since we lost Hasek.... And Andreychuk... And Gilmour...

Bottom line - GET SOME FRIGGIN' VETERANS DARCY! And by veterans I don't mean half-dead stiffs like Numminen.

i hear that... but remeber the 'core group' is growing and learning together... yea my ass... these players have lost the will to play for ruff or regier... until you change them... you'll never have any type of success... and the only reason they were made to look good before was cuze of hasek and veterans like peca...

thats an ugly stat... ... its true though... we could be in for it... and in a big way... if that trend continues i don't see us haveing any chance at doing anything this year.

Or let's look at the stat from the other side.

Sabres never trailed - 3-0

Sabres trailed entire game - 0-2

Sabres tied game once - 2-5

Sabres tied game twice - 1-0

Sabres tied game 3 times - 1-0

The flip side of GGM's argument is that in games that the Sabres have trailed, they have come back to win 4 of 11. (Better than 1/3)

Games they had the lead they went on to win 7 of 10. (Better than 2/3)

So of 14 games, the Sabres have only been "out of" 2. Those 2 games both happen to have been to Ottawa by the way.

I personally don't see any "trend" in this data or GGM's. I merely see a team that is in just about every game it plays.

Archived