Briere?

deluca67

That's five weeks away. The season could be lost by that point.

The DAY the Sabres are eliminated from the playoffs Darcy should be FIRED.

agreed... would send quite the message... but it won't happen... they won't fire regier... no one is held accountable for anything in that organization...they've been saying they'll can regier and ruff if they didn't make the playoffs for the last 3 years... big whoop nothing happened... its getting stupid now... so many problems could be fixed so easily but instead were gonna have to wait 5 years or more to see any type of success anywhere...

But you are ready to fire regier or ruff "The DAY the Sabres are eliminated from the playoffs ".....so talk to me in March about this.

Its too early to say if we are going to make the playoffs, but losing a home and home series against montreal, and the 5 game skid, doesnt bode well for us. Then again, we have plenty of time to turn this around, and our good start will help us out.

But you are ready to fire regier or ruff "The DAY the Sabres are eliminated from the playoffs ".....so talk to me in March about this.

Its too early to say if we are going to make the playoffs, but losing a home and home series against montreal, and the 5 game skid, doesnt bode well for us. Then again, we have plenty of time to turn this around, and our good start will help us out.

Where were the Sabres after 14 games last year? I just don't see a huge turnaround with this defense. And the Sabres don't have the finishers to run and gun with the other teams in the East.

And your wrong on Regier. I would fire him today. As a GM he is a complete joke.

Where were the Sabres after 14 games last year? I just don't see a huge turnaround with this defense. And the Sabres don't have the finishers to run and gun with the other teams in the East.

And your wrong on Regier. I would fire him today. As a GM he is a complete joke.

They were exactly 1 point ahead of where they are this year. Are you predicting them to lose 7 in a row in December as well, or is your prediction for 8 in a row, considering they are 1 point off last year's pace?

The team is exactly on pace at this time to meet my 96 point prediction (although I have stated even before Ryan got hurt that I think we need to wait until at least the 20 game mark to say one way or another how well they are doing). I am not claiming that that is necessarily where they will finish, but I have gone on record as expecting that and so far they are comparing well to my expectations. Especially if they can stay on the pace that I had predicted during Ryan's absence (5-5 during 2nd 10 game segment); I feel very strongly that the team can sneak into the playoffs.

Out of curiosity, what is your prediction for their finish? You had implied in a preseason post that you see them finishing about 12th. Is this still your expectation of how the season will progress? If so, or even if not, I'd be interested in knowing how many points you expect this team to compile.

At even strength, you are probably correct that the team does not have the finishers to "run & gun" w/ the other teams. But the Sabres powerplay is looking very good this year. Including the 4 game scoreless streak they are 9th overall. They are very close %age-wise to being top 7. They have taken fewer penalties than their opposition this season, which is a marked change vs. last season. That alone should translate into a few more wins than last season. Also, although they don't have a "top shelf" scorer, they do tend to score as well as their opponents through scoring by committee. Including their having been outscored 15-4 against Ottawa, the team has only been outscored overall 43-48.

I am not certain of what you mean by not seeing "a huge turnaround with this defense". The team finished 3 games over .500 last season even though they had losing streaks of 7 and 4 games. The team does not need a "huge turnaround" to make the playoffs. They need to play consistantly.

It's about seeing the game at a different level. Why do you think the Av's produce so many great young players? Those same players, like Drury, have problems when they leave. When you have players like Sakic and Forsberg (extreme example) it's like having an offensive coach on the bench. They see the game differently then other players and fans do. It's at an almost slow-motion pace. They see things opening up. It's the same for goalies. Goalies see a compeltely different game then forwards do.

It's this knowledge the Sabres lack and Vanek needs. IMO, if Vanek had that type of mentor on the bench he could talk to? We wouldn't be here going into game 15 wondering when he is going to score a goal.

Next time you watch the Pens. Watch Mario sitting next to Crosby. He always has the kids ear pointing things out that only the two of them could truely understand. I know the Sabres can't get a Sakic or Mario. There were many other quality players they could have signed that could have done the job. That's OK. I'm sure Vanek is getting many pointers from Connolly, Drury and the like.

if thats the case then Gretzky's team wouldnt have offensive problems.

They were exactly 1 point ahead of where they are this year. Are you predicting them to lose 7 in a row in December as well, or is your prediction for 8 in a row, considering they are 1 point off last year's pace?

The team is exactly on pace at this time to meet my 96 point prediction (although I have stated even before Ryan got hurt that I think we need to wait until at least the 20 game mark to say one way or another how well they are doing). I am not claiming that that is necessarily where they will finish, but I have gone on record as expecting that and so far they are comparing well to my expectations. Especially if they can stay on the pace that I had predicted during Ryan's absence (5-5 during 2nd 10 game segment); I feel very strongly that the team can sneak into the playoffs.

Out of curiosity, what is your prediction for their finish? You had implied in a preseason post that you see them finishing about 12th. Is this still your expectation of how the season will progress? If so, or even if not, I'd be interested in knowing how many points you expect this team to compile.

At even strength, you are probably correct that the team does not have the finishers to "run & gun" w/ the other teams. But the Sabres powerplay is looking very good this year. Including the 4 game scoreless streak they are 9th overall. They are very close %age-wise to being top 7. They have taken fewer penalties than their opposition this season, which is a marked change vs. last season. That alone should translate into a few more wins than last season. Also, although they don't have a "top shelf" scorer, they do tend to score as well as their opponents through scoring by committee. Including their having been outscored 15-4 against Ottawa, the team has only been outscored overall 43-48.

I am not certain of what you mean by not seeing "a huge turnaround with this defense". The team finished 3 games over .500 last season even though they had losing streaks of 7 and 4 games. The team does not need a "huge turnaround" to make the playoffs. They need to play consistantly.

They finished three over .500 and 6 pts out. Again, not good enough.

This defense is horrid. Kalinin is still not 100%. They rest you could dump tomorrow and not be worse off. Not one is a solid NHL defenseman. Teppo had his day but that day is long gone. If these are the guys you plan to go to get to the playoffs with then your PP better be number one and you better have outstanding goaltending.

I still predict 13th. Other teams are getting better. Other teams will make moves. The Sabres will do nothing if it effects the bottom line. Your talking money out = money in. If this team is on pace to make money(revenue sharing) they will not add payroll. The most you will see is another Bob Corkum/Jeff Jilson like pickup.

if thats the case then Gretzky's team wouldnt have offensive problems.

Are you saying all the 'Yotes have the talent of Thomas Vanek? Really?

The point is that players Like the 'Great One' can relate to those "special" players like Vanek. Like Crosby? Do you think Crosby would have 18 pts in 14 games playing for a team like the Sabres? I doubt it. This kid has some great players in his ear talking about the game.

Don't believe me? Ask Schoenfeld what having a Tim Horton meant to him.

I love donughts!!!! and your telling me Schownie does too? and it helped his play?

Of course he LOVES donuts. He has what has to be the greatest donut quote of all time. "Hey, Koharski! Have another donut, you fat pig!"

I don't like the Devils, but I loved them that night.

I also like that the cop that hung out at Stan Makita Donuts in Wayne's World was Officer Koharski. W/ the classic banter w/ Wayne that I know I won't get exactly correct, but went something like this.

O.K. We had a tip that a busload of tourists were smuggling drugs. We didn't find any on their persons, so we had to do full body cavity searches.

W.C. No way!

O.K. Way! I inspected 6 tourists myself.

W.C. Shuffles off to get the heck out of that conversation.

This defense is horrid. Kalinin is still not 100%. They rest you could dump tomorrow and not be worse off. Not one is a solid NHL defenseman. Teppo had his day but that day is long gone.  If these are the guys you plan to go to get to the playoffs with then your PP better be number one and you better have outstanding goaltending.

Do you really think the Sabres could dump McKee and not be worse off? I would probably have agreed with this sentiment during the 1st 3 seasons post concussion, but would not agree with it even slightly this season. Perhaps it is due to Kalinin's injury, perhaps not, but McKee has FAR AND AWAY been the Sabres best defenseman this season.

I still predict 13th. Other teams are getting better. Other teams will make moves. The Sabres will do nothing if it effects the bottom line. Your talking money out = money in.  If this team is on pace to make money(revenue sharing)  they will not add payroll. The most you will see is another Bob Corkum/Jeff Jilson like pickup.

I don't know, but my guess is you are a fantastic money manager as you have this hedging thing down pat. We both clearly want to see the Sabres not only win enough to sneak into the playoffs, but actually thrive.

Me, I didn't hedge though. If the Sabres don't make the playoffs I expect to be called out on it and it will suck at least twice as bad as it should, as not only will I be bummed about the Sabres not making the playoffs but I will also have to deal with posters asking me wtf happened to what I saw as a decent season. (My early fallback plan is that the injury to Ryan killed the Sabres chances, but based on how Marty played in the 2 games vs. Moe-ray-aal I can't honestly say that I totally believe that at this point.)

You have worked the perfect hedge. If the Sabres do end up playing as bad as you've predicted (13th out of 15 is not just bad, but brutally bad), then you have the satisfaction of saying "I told you all they stink, did you listen, no (well some of you did, but not nearly enough of you did)" while you suffer through yet another season of the Sabres longest playoff drought in history (all 35 years worth). Will it still hurt, yes, but the sting will have been lessened to some degree. But if they do make the playoffs, while I expect that you will get hammered unmercifully on this board by some (it can't be any worse that what you have already had to endure from "guest" posters), you will still be able to take the satisfaction of taking the wife or girlfriend to a game or 2 against Philly or TB (I still don't want to contemplate the very real possibility of if (strike that, I mean WHEN) the Sabres make the playoffs they'd end up going against Ottawa in the 1st round) and my guess is that that will far outweigh any annoyance this board provides. :unsure:

:blink: Is it too late for me to change my prediction to the Sabres will finish 16th in the east? ;) Yeah? :( OK, oh well, I tried. :P :D

Do you really think the Sabres could dump McKee and not be worse off? I would probably have agreed with this sentiment during the 1st 3 seasons post concussion, but would not agree with it even slightly this season. Perhaps it is due to Kalinin's injury, perhaps not, but McKee has FAR AND AWAY been the Sabres best defenseman this season.

I don't know, but my guess is you are a fantastic money manager as you have this hedging thing down pat. We both clearly want to see the Sabres not only win enough to sneak into the playoffs, but actually thrive.

Me, I didn't hedge though. If the Sabres don't make the playoffs I expect to be called out on it and it will suck at least twice as bad as it should, as not only will I be bummed about the Sabres not making the playoffs but I will also have to deal with posters asking me wtf happened to what I saw as a decent season. (My early fallback plan is that the injury to Ryan killed the Sabres chances, but based on how Marty played in the 2 games vs. Moe-ray-aal I can't honestly say that I totally believe that at this point.)

You have worked the perfect hedge. If the Sabres do end up playing as bad as you've predicted (13th out of 15 is not just bad, but brutally bad), then you have the satisfaction of saying "I told you all they stink, did you listen, no (well some of you did, but not nearly enough of you did)" while you suffer through yet another season of the Sabres longest playoff drought in history (all 35 years worth). Will it still hurt, yes, but the sting will have been lessened to some degree. But if they do make the playoffs, while I expect that you will get hammered unmercifully on this board by some (it can't be any worse that what you have already had to endure from "guest" posters), you will still be able to take the satisfaction of taking the wife or girlfriend to a game or 2 against Philly or TB (I still don't want to contemplate the very real possibility of if (strike that, I mean WHEN) the Sabres make the playoffs they'd end up going against Ottawa in the 1st round) and my guess is that that will far outweigh any annoyance this board provides. :unsure:

:blink: Is it too late for me to change my prediction to the Sabres will finish 16th in the east? ;) Yeah? :( OK, oh well, I tried. :P :D

No "work" at all.

My thoughts are my own and are true. I've watched alot of hockey over the years. From what I've seen from this franchise they are not a playoff team.

Isn't it easy to do what most fans do? Pretend that their players are better then they are then blast them when they fail? Isn't it easy to just listen to the Sabres broadcast and Sabres Radio WGR and take everything at face value?

You see Dave. From where I sit? You are the one taking the easy way out. Using the old Republican stand by of 'if you can't fight the message discredit the messanger.' It's a weak attempt.

Anyway. What I do and why I do it has nothing to do with the fact the Sabres blueline is sub par. Is McKee better then he has been. Sure. I'll give you that. But being the best of a bad lot isn't saying much. There are over 100 blueliners in the NHL who could jump into the Sabres lineup and be their best defensemen. The Sabres are playing blueliners that are only in the NHL because they are part of the Sabres franchise. Campbell and Fitzpatrick couldn't make any other team in the NHL.

At the end of the season one of us is going to have a huge "I told you so" post. I'll try to be kind when I right it.

No "work" at all.

My thoughts are my own and are true. I've watched alot of hockey over the years. From what I've seen from this franchise they are not a playoff team.

Isn't it easy to do what most fans do? Pretend that their players are better then they are then blast them when they fail? Isn't it easy to just listen to the Sabres broadcast and Sabres Radio WGR and take everything at face value?

You see Dave. From where I sit? You are the one taking the easy way out. Using the old Republican stand by of 'if you can't fight the message discredit the messanger.' It's a weak attempt.

Anyway. What I do and why I do it has nothing to do with the fact the Sabres blueline is  sub par. Is McKee better then he has been. Sure. I'll give you that. But being the best of a bad lot isn't saying much. There are over 100 blueliners in the NHL who could jump into the Sabres lineup and be their best defensemen. The Sabres are playing blueliners that are only in the NHL because they are part of the Sabres franchise. Campbell and Fitzpatrick couldn't make any other team in the NHL.

At the end of the season one of us is going to have a huge "I told you so" post. I'll try to be kind when I right it.

I have never doubted that you sincerely believe that the Sabres are a bad team and wish that it were not so. My post was a rather feeble attempt to humorously show that there is a silver lining for you to your "the Sabres are horrible" views. I guess I should avoid attempts at humor at 1:00AM.

There was one comment in your reply that I am curious about. Could you please refer me back to any posts I made overhyping the team and then blasting them? I do not believe that I have been doing that. If that is not what you meant in your post, well, nevermind.

Is McKee better then he has been. Sure. I'll give you that. But being the best of a bad lot isn't saying much. There are over 100 blueliners in the NHL who could jump into the Sabres lineup and be their best defensemen. The Sabres are playing blueliners that are only in the NHL because they are part of the Sabres franchise. Campbell and Fitzpatrick couldn't make any other team in the NHL.

There are only ~180 defensemen dressing on a regular basis for their teams in the NHL. Do you honestly believe that Kalinin and McKee are in, not just the bottom half of NHL defensemen, but close to the bottom 3rd?

And another question based from a related post. Are the Sabres really going to be worse off with Toni Lydman on the blueline than with Jeff Jillson?

There are only ~180 defensemen dressing on a regular basis for their teams in the NHL. Do you honestly believe that Kalinin and McKee are in, not just the bottom half of NHL defensemen, but close to the bottom 3rd?

And another question based from a related post. Are the Sabres really going to be worse off with Toni Lydman on the blueline than with Jeff Jillson?

Not Kalinin. I thought that was clear.

Lydman? Jilson? Does it matter? They're the same player.

Not Kalinin. I thought that was clear.

Lydman? Jilson? Does it matter? They're the same player.

No, you were clear that the new guy would be better than ANY of the Sabres defensemen. Kalinin was not exempted in your post.

There are over 100 blueliners in the NHL who could jump into the Sabres lineup and be their best defensemen.

But, I take it, you do feel that McKee is one of the bottom 1/3 D then (bottom 1/2 at best). I completely disagree with that.

No, you were clear that the new guy would be better than ANY of the Sabres defensemen. Kalinin was not exempted in your post.

But, I take it, you do feel that McKee is one of the bottom 1/3 D then (bottom 1/2 at best). I completely disagree with that.

Following my posts I clearly seperate Kalinin from the rest of the yahoos.

Mckee fits right in with the rest.

Archived