This Day in Sabres History :: July 8

July 8, 1995

In a major rebuilding move by John Muckler, who has been ordered to slash payroll, the Sabres trade former 76-goal scorer Alexander Mogilny and a fifth round draft choice in 1995 to Vancouver for Mike Peca, Mike Wilson and a first round pick in 1995 that turns into Jay McKee. Not a bad deal!

July 8, 1995

In a major rebuilding move by John Muckler, who has been ordered to slash payroll, the Sabres trade former 76-goal scorer Alexander Mogilny and a fifth round draft choice in 1995 to Vancouver for Mike Peca, Mike Wilson and a first round pick in 1995 that turns into Jay McKee. Not a bad deal!

Holy cow, this team is going to stink forever.

They traded away a 76 goal scorer for a used puck bag and a couple of broken sticks.

That Peca is WAY too tiny to ever be an NHLer.

Sabres draft picks NEVER pan out. This McKee guy's probably going to be another David Cooper.

But you know, that Wilson kid's got pretty good size. If Doug McKenney can get him to bulk up some, he could be the key to this deal not being horrible.

Oh, who are we kidding, we're DOOOOOOMED, DOOOOOOOMED!!!.

:P

Wasn't wilson parlayed into rhett warrener? Or, did he turn into stu barnes? I can never keep the lopsided trades seperate in my head.

Remember, before we all began to bash darcy, he regularly ROBBED teams blind with trades.

Wasn't wilson parlayed into rhett warrener? Or, did he turn into stu barnes? I can never keep the lopsided trades seperate in my head.

Remember, before we all began to bash darcy, he regularly ROBBED teams blind with trades.

It was Warrener and a 5th round pick (Ryan Miller) for Wilson. I'd say that one worked out pretty well.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Peca deal was a Muckler deal. You're point about Darcy's trades still stands though.

edit: I'm an idiot. PA's post said it was a Muckler deal.

It gets even better - we got Warrener from Florida along with their 5th round pick, which we used to select Ryan Miller. Darcy should be in jail for getting whats turns out to be Chris Drury and Ryan Miller for an underachieving defenseman. IIRC the original deal (Peca/Mogilny) was a Muckler deal; it was Darcy who sent Wilson to Florida and Warrener to Calgary, but I could be wrong...

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/Legend...sp?player=15016

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Rhett_Warrener/

EDIT: DAMN YOU SHRADER! You beat me to it.... ;)

It gets even better - we got Warrener from Florida along with their 5th round pick, which we used to select Ryan Miller. Darcy should be in jail for getting whats turns out to be Chris Drury and Ryan Miller for an underachieving defenseman.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/Legend...sp?player=15016

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Rhett_Warrener/

If you're going to bring Chris Drury into the conversation, you have to remember that we lost Keith Ballard in that deal. Ballard is well on his way to becoming a very solid NHL defenseman who would've been a great fit here.

Well then don't forget about Steve "we hardly knew ye" Reinprecht...You're right, Ballard would've ben agreat fit here, but I like Drury a lot and sometimes you've gotta give up someone you like to get better.

I still can't believe Darcy got Pittsburgh to take Barnababy off his hands and give him Stu Barnes in return. And don't forget Grosek for Dumont and Gilmour. The one big blemish on Regier's record, though, is his overpaying for Chris Gratton. He covered his poop like an obsessive-compulsive cat, though, didn't he? :)

I still can't believe Darcy got Pittsburgh to take Barnababy off his hands and give him Stu Barnes in return. And don't forget Grosek for Dumont and Gilmour. The one big blemish on Regier's record, though, is his overpaying for Chris Gratton. He covered his poop like an obsessive-compulsive cat, though, didn't he? :)

yeah, but i think he made up for Gratton by stealing Briere for Gratton straight up unless your cat reference means the same thing... ;)

Boy, that peca for mogilny deal was the catalyst for basically the entire team we have now. Funny how you can loopk back on stuff like that, go through all the transactions and progressions, and see what it built. Sorta like the OJ to san fran trade that eventually landed jim kelly through a couple progressions. Price to atlanta for their #1 pick,who turned into mcgahee, then price resigns with the bills.

How about

June 15,1992

Christian Ruuttu and Future Considerations traded to Winnipeg for Stephane Beaureguard

August 07,1992

Stephane Beauregard and a 1993 4th round draft pick traded to Chicago which turned into Erik Daze for Dominik Hasek

Those are great trades, possibly the most lopsided in league history.

Well then don't forget about Steve "we hardly knew ye" Reinprecht...You're right, Ballard would've ben agreat fit here, but I like Drury a lot and sometimes you've gotta give up someone you like to get better.

They got Reinprecht from Colorado for Ballard. He doesn't really count.

PA, I wouldn't say they overpaid for Gratton. Holzinger and Primeau were garbage. Sarich was the only thing of value in that deal, and we couldn't be sure if he was going to develop into an NHL player or not at that point.

yeah, but i think he made up for Gratton by stealing Briere for Gratton straight up unless your cat reference means the same thing... ;)

Yes, that's what it means, you pod. :)

"I wonder about guys who have cats."

shrader, we also gave up a third round pick to get ole Chris. I don't think it's fair to say Holzinger and Primeau were garbage. Zinger was our second leading scorer one year.

They got Reinprecht from Colorado for Ballard. He doesn't really count.

PA, I wouldn't say they overpaid for Gratton. Holzinger and Primeau were garbage. Sarich was the only thing of value in that deal, and we couldn't be sure if he was going to develop into an NHL player or not at that point.

I know he never played a game in a Buffalo sweater, but he was part of the deal that landed us Drury:

(From sabrefans.com/)

July 03,2003

Sabres send Keith Ballard to Colorado for Steve Reinprecht. Sabres then trade Rhett Warrener and Steve Reinprecht to Calgary for Chris Drury and Steve Begin

Second part is, like you said about Sarich - at that point, no one knows for certain that Ballard will develop into a quality NHL defenseman. He did, so that makes the deaL a little more even in terms of who got the best of it, but I'd still rather have Drury.

;)

shrader, we also gave up a third round pick to get ole Chris. I don't think it's fair to say Holzinger and Primeau were garbage. Zinger was our second leading scorer one year.

But his numbers were in a steady decline from that point on. You don't generally trade for someone because of some minor accomplishment in the past.