According to WGR Marty & Mika refused conditioning

LabattBlue

On WGR this morning, Paul Hamilton said that Mary & Mika both refused "conditioning assignments" to Rochester since the start of the season. I am pretty sure under these terms, that you do not have to go through waivers, but it is a voluntary thing. They cannot be forced to go down.

It seems pretty selfish of these two to refuse this assignment. It would have helped them stay in game shape and I believe it was only for 7-10 days.

It may be selfish but sometimes it pays to be that way. Let's say One of them did accept the assignment. While he's down he tweaks a hammy. Sabres tell him to stay down there until it gets better. His play suffers because he's trying to be "a team player" and work it back into shape. All of a sudden, he's become a minor leaguer with not much hope of returning to the show.

It may be selfish but sometimes it pays to be that way.  Let's say One of them did accept the assignment.  While he's down he tweaks a hammy.  Sabres tell him to stay down there until it gets better.  His play suffers because he's trying to be "a team player" and work it back into shape.  All of a sudden, he's become a minor leaguer with not much hope of returning to the show.

They can't tell either player to "stay down there". It is a temporary assignment for x number of days and they come back to the Sabres roster at that point...injured or not.

It may be selfish but sometimes it pays to be that way.  Let's say One of them did accept the assignment.  While he's down he tweaks a hammy.  Sabres tell him to stay down there until it gets better.  His play suffers because he's trying to be "a team player" and work it back into shape.  All of a sudden, he's become a minor leaguer with not much hope of returning to the show.

On the selfish note, there's another way the guy who goes to Rachacha can get shafted. Suppose Ryan's injury happened while the team was on a road trip or while Rochester was playing out of town. The guy playing good little soldier on the conditioning assignment loses at least 1 and maybe 2 opportunities to get some NHL game action while his rival who put his own interests 1st gets the start(s). If that guy is on a 2 game winning streak he is not going to sit when the other one gets back.

On WGR this morning, Paul Hamilton said that Mary & Mika both refused "conditioning assignments" to Rochester since the start of the season. I am pretty sure under these terms, that you do not have to go through waivers, but it is a voluntary thing. They cannot be forced to go down.

It seems pretty selfish of these two to refuse this assignment. It would have helped them stay in game shape and I believe it was only for 7-10 days.

This was reported by the Buffalo News last week. I forget what day exactly, i'd make a guess and say in the Friday edition.

Archived