Diss Darcy all you want.....

Two or less

Getting a 2nd for Biron would have been theivery. Average, rusty, overpaid goalies aren't exactly hot commodities.

It's not just Waddell's comments, but the fact that we still had three goalies on our roster to start November. They clearly weren't 100% comfortable in putting all of their stock in Miller. This wait and see approach ended up paying off. You can play conspiracy theorist all day long, Waddell said the Sabres weren't interested in moving a goalie. We didn't move one to Atlanta, Edmonton, or anywhere else. So I doubt we were interested in moving a goalie until we saw about two months of Miller.

Atlanta doesn't have enough cap room for Biron. If they were offering a 2nd rounder, it was for Noronen. A 2nd rounder from a team that you will be competing for a playoff spot with who will NOT have any chance at the playoffs without the addition of a new goalie is NOT good return for a 26 year old kid that has excelled at every level but the NHL and has shown flashes of brilliance at the NHL level.

No, the fact that there are 3 goalies on the roster does not mean that the Sabres were not comfortable with Miller. It means, and this will be the last time I post this, the Sabres did not receive an offer of assets that they felt were as valuable as the current assets.

Now you are playing conspiracy theorist. The Sabres haven't moved a goalie yet so they must have had no intention at all of moving a goalie. That is the conspiracy theory.

Atlanta doesn't have enough cap room for Biron. If they were offering a 2nd rounder, it was for Noronen. A 2nd rounder from a team that you will be competing for a playoff spot with who will NOT have any chance at the playoffs without the addition of a new goalie is NOT good return for a 26 year old kid that has excelled at every level but the NHL and has shown flashes of brilliance at the NHL level.

No, the fact that there are 3 goalies on the roster does not mean that the Sabres were not comfortable with Miller. It means, and this will be the last time I post this, the Sabres did not receive an offer of assets that they felt were as valuable as the current assets.

Now you are playing conspiracy theorist. The Sabres haven't moved a goalie yet so they must have had no intention at all of moving a goalie. That is the conspiracy theory.

Do you really think Darcy is oblivious to the market value of Biron and Noronen? It's not much, look at the transactions for average goalies this offseason. Biron is what he is. An overpaid average goaltender that is notorious for slow starts and will be a UFA in a season and a half. he has no playoff experience and is still shaking off the rust from a year and a half layoff. He's been terrible so far.

Whats the "current value" of having a third goalie? The Sabres are worse off by keeping three goalies. How do you know that they haven't received a good offer for either goalie? There have been reports that Noronen would have garnered a 2nd. I don't know if it's true, but if it that is more than fair. Then a GM of an NHL team says on the record that the one team that has goaltending won't move it. Waddell's not misleading his fans, that's ridiculous. Do you think he want's to stand put? Darcy is probably holding out for a ridiculous offer (Coburn) as he is wont to do. Waddell is probably frustrated. Darcy is slow when it comes to making trades. The Briere/Gratton offer was rumored to be made to him mid season and he waited until the deadline.

They weren't ready to out all of their eggs into a rookies basket. Waddell's comments, Regier's actions, all of the rumors, and logic all point to that. If Miller proved to them over an extended period of time that he was in fact the real deal, then Darcy may have finally pulled the trigger.

Do you really think Darcy is oblivious to the market value of Biron and Noronen? It's not much, look at the transactions for average goalies this offseason. Biron is what he is. An overpaid average goaltender that is notorious for slow starts and will be a UFA in a season and a half. he has no playoff experience and is still shaking off the rust from a year and a half layoff.  He's been terrible so far.

No I don't. I think you are.

Whats the "current value" of having a third goalie? The Sabres are worse off by keeping three goalies.

Considering the 3rd goalie has now become the 2nd goalie, a lot more than it was 48 hours ago.

How do you know that they haven't received a good offer for either goalie? There have been reports that Noronen would have garnered a 2nd. I don't know if it's true, but if it that is more than fair.

I have stated earlier in this thread that I don't know what Darcy has been offered for a goalie. I am in 100% disagreement with you that a 2nd rounder from a conference opponent that is desperate for a goalie is a good offer for Mika. We do not see eye to eye on this issue and I truly doubt any amount of posting by either of us will change the others' mind, so this is the last that I will post on 2nd rounders and Mika.

Then a GM of an NHL team says on the record that the one team that has goaltending won't move it. Waddell's not misleading his fans, that's ridiculous. Do you think he want's to stand put?

Of friggin' course not. However, he clearly either does not think the Sabres goalies are worth what Darcy thinks they are worth or he thinks his players are worth more than Darcy does or some combination of the 2.

Darcy is probably holding out for a ridiculous offer (Coburn) as he is wont to do.

In your opinion. If you KNOW what Darcy has been offered, please enlighten us.

Waddell is probably frustrated. Darcy is slow when it comes to making trades.

Thank you for the news flash. We are on the same page on that one.

The Briere/Gratton offer was rumored to be made to him mid season and he waited until the deadline.

This has nothing to do with where Waddell and Darcy are in negotiations. Unless you KNOW that Briere straight up for Gratton is what was offered by Phoenix, you can't say that the deal was available before the deadline. I for one, still am amazed that offer was ever on the table. Phoenix got smoked on that one.

They weren't ready to out all of their eggs into a rookies basket. Waddell's comments, Regier's actions, all of the rumors, and logic all point to that. If Miller proved to them over an extended period of time that he was in fact the real deal, then Darcy may have finally pulled the trigger.
In your opinion that is the case. You keep calling logic into this but you fail to use it. The illogical thing would be for us to keep this thread going any longer as we both disagree on the core point. You believe that Waddell's offer has been reasonable and fair and I am inclined not to believe that. I have not seen the offer, so I cannot say for certain whether it is or isn't.

You are basing your opinion on comments to reporters from one of the parties. Well, Darcy is on record as saying it has historically been shown to be a bad thing to carry 3 goalies in the NHL and he would like to move one. Does Darcy saying this publicly have any bearing on the negotiation? Not one iota. It is just as useful as Waddell's comments.

Well then let's get back to the "core point". What do you think Biron and Noronen are worth?

I posted some possibilities of what I saw a potential trade to be about 3 weeks ago.

About the 11th post down.

If anything, I'd say both teams are at about the same level (or lack thereof) of desperation that they were at 3 weeks ago. Shields is not a long term answer and Buffalo won't be desperate to trade for at least for the next month or so.

So you think the Sabres could get a guy like Savard or Coburn for Noronen?

If that's the case, you're crazy.

Darcy might get more than market value, he usually does. However, he takes so long and is so patient that he ends up hurting our playoff chances. But hey, he wins the trade on paper.

So you think the Sabres could get a guy like Savard or Coburn for Noronen?

If that's the case, you're crazy.

Darcy might get more than market value, he usually does. However, he takes so long and is so patient that he ends up hurting our playoff chances. But hey, he wins the trade on paper.

Excuse me, you think that trading for a 2nd rounder from Atlanta helps the Sabres playoff chances HOW?

If you had read a little further down in the other thread, you would have seen this about Savard:

... Atlanta caught a break this week, in that they only have 2 games and are off until Thursday, but Garnett and Berkhoel are getting lit up like Christmas trees.  I'd be very surprised to see Atlanta win with either guy in net.  If Dunham or Lehtonin don't come back soon, a very promising season could be down the toilet.  Atlanta has spent a lot of money and don't play in a traditional NHL market (although it is a stronger market than most give them credit for), tossing this season for the lack of a goalie could very well set this team on the road to leaving Atlanta.  In trade talks with most teams, Regier doesn't have a very strong hand as there are very few teams that don't think they at least might have the answer in net already on their roster; in talks with Atlanta he holds all the cards.

I don't expect Atlanta to be thrilled about giving up Savard and doubt that they'd give him up for Mika, but I absolutely expect him to be a player the Sabres are asking about.  Atlanta MIGHT be interested in unloading his salary at this point and he would definitely be a player the Sabres would be interested in, that is why he was included in the analysis.  Also, his 9 points in 6 games is slightly skewed.  He has 8 points in 2 games against Washington.  Atlanta scored 15 goals in those 2 games.  They have 2 goals in their other 4.  Savard traditionally scores in the 50 point range, he is currently on Atlanta's top line and top pp unit; anybody will score with Kovalchuk and Hossa on their line for the full season.  Heck, trading Savard would open up room on one of the top 2 lines for Stefan and could give him the break he needs to step his game up to expectations.  Stefan makes half of what Savard makes, so moving Savard might make more sense for Atlanta than it appears at 1st blush.

EDIT: My gut feel is that the defensemen are more in play than the centers, and would expect to see the trade fall out more along those lines, if one occurs.  But with Atlanta's play in its own end so far this year, they may be even more reluctant to give up a d than a center.

You are probably right, I must be crazy for allowing this thread to carry on this long.

Biron generally plays well against the Habs, hopefully we'll split or better and then get Grier and Lydman back. Roy coming up is a good thing.

He sure does. In February :o

The Habs are a really good team. A split would be a victory.

Are you really looking forward to Grier and Lydman coming back? Why? They're not difference makers.

Are you really looking forward to Grier and Lydman coming back? Why? They're not difference makers.

Right. Our #1 d-man in terms of ice time and our best defensive forward aren't difference makers. Maybe we should just trade Noronen and a pick for Kovalchuk, he'll make a difference.

Between you and DeLuca, this place provides more annoyance than it's worth. Fun while it lasted, later.

Right. Our #1 d-man in terms of ice time and our best defensive forward aren't difference makers. Maybe we should just trade Noronen and a pick for Kovalchuk, he'll make a difference.

Between you and DeLuca, this place provides more annoyance than it's worth. Fun while it lasted, later.

Did you just say Grier is the Sabres "best defensive forward"? At -3? Really? The Drury fans will be on your a$$.

As far as Lydman. You can skate Campbell for 25 minutes a game. It does not make him a good blueliner. Lydman sucks. Plain and simple. I did like him more when his name was Delmore. :lol:

Se ya later.

Did you just say Grier is the Sabres "best defensive forward"? At -3? Really? The Drury fans will be on your a$$.

As far as Lydman. You can skate Campbell for 25 minutes a game. It does not make him a good blueliner. Lydman sucks. Plain and simple. I did like him more when his name was Delmore. :lol:

Se ya later.

lydman's been sound for us. his logged alot of minutes and not been a big hazard defensively. his not great, but then again neither was Z.

im not saying his as good as Z defensively, cause his not, but his better offensively and his logged alot of time for us.

From everything I've read from him, I think he was hoping he was wrong.

Someone who actually reads the Posts :D

If people want to focus their anger at me instead of the real problem (Regier)? That's fine with me. I'm a big boy I can take it.

I do understand the need for blind faith. It's just not for me. If the Sabres make the playoffs that's great. I would be there for Game 1. Just don't miss the playoffs and tell me they were close and really are a playoff team. I'm not stupid. What do you take me for a Bills Fan. ;)

Don't tell me we're having prime rib for dinner then serve meatloaf. Meatloaf is fine on it's own, but not when you are expecting prime rib. Does that make sense?

Someone who actually reads the Posts :D

If people want to focus their anger at me instead of the real problem (Regier)? That's fine with me. I'm a big boy I can take it.

I do understand the need for blind faith. It's just not for me. If the Sabres make the playoffs that's great. I would be there for Game 1. Just don't miss the playoffs and tell me they were close and really are a playoff team. I'm not stupid. What do you take me for a Bills Fan. ;)

Don't tell me we're having prime rib for dinner then serve meatloaf. Meatloaf is fine on it's own, but not when you are expecting prime rib. Does that make sense?

i agree... blind faith is not healthy... if you set low goals now... you won't be dissapointed now... but if they exceed those low goals you'll be excited later... yea its a depressing and silly way to look at it but it can work lol...

Just don't miss the playoffs and tell me they were close and really are a playoff team. I'm not stupid. What do you take me for a Bills Fan. ;)

For that comment, you really ought to be banned. :angry:

If Regier had Donahoe's marketing skills though, we might be a whole lot closer to the salary cap...

For that comment, you really ought to be banned. :angry:

If Regier had Donahoe's marketing skills though, we might be a whole lot closer to the salary cap...

Amen brother.

Tommy D knows what Buffalo sports fans like. Big Names. It's why the Bills sell out. Are they any closer to the playoffs then the Sabres? No. If Darcy would have spent some money on a name player instead of re-uping his mistakes there might actually be some fans at the arena some nights.

While we are "dissing Darcy" and everyone seems fixed on what was offered for our goalies, does anyone have any idea who Darcy went after in return for a goalie? There are rumors going around that any team can contact another an make offers, not just certain teams. As nice as it might be to sit back and say we have the goalies (and that needs to be proven) it might have been prudent to say "we need defense" and start make calls. Or maybe he figured Teppo was the answer......

Archived