Why not get rid of guaranteed salaries

Guest Eddie Shack

Guest Eddie Shack

Just a thought as dumb(owners) and dumber(nhlpa) continue doing nothing...

I'm wondering why the owners are not lobbying to get rid of guaranteed salaries and move to a system like the NFL where the only thing guaranteed is the signing bonus. Plus I wonder if getting rid of this, would push the players to play at a high level in order to keep their contract and not get waived.

That's as big a problem as any. These lazy players think they only have to play in the final year of their contract, and they're right because of the way the stupid system is set up. After reading the Buffalo News article about the proposals that were refused, I was surprised to see guaranteed contracts still a part of the NHL's proposal. I'm glad the NHLPA didn't agree (although I don't have much hope of the league getting rid of the guaranteed contracts in their subsequent proposals).

Guest Swordsman

We've all seen team managements - not just in Buffalo but elsewhere, and in other sports - make judgement calls purely on financial bases. So, a player who busts his butt every night, gives his all and in theory, earns his salary, could still be subject to being waived or even benched just because his team is trying to find loopholes in saving some money. So, I ask those who trumpet the logic of eliminating the guaranteed contracts to look at it from the other side. Anyone remember all the bull that Sabres management fed the public about dumping LaFontaine - and the real reason they traded one of the hardest working players to ever wear the Sabres jersey? Money. Was that fair?

The crux of the matter on contracts is that it's a catch-22. Leave the guaranteed contracts as is and you have a percentage of players that will cruise with no effort and still cash in, while the other percentage of honest working players perform and earn their keep. Do away with the guaranteed contract and all that happens is the reverse happening to the opposite percentages.

Don't ask me for what the right answer or solution is - I wish I knew.

Guaranteed Salaries now there is one bone I doubt the players association will ever be willing to give back.Why ever give that back when right now on any given night you can show up and go through the motions? Make these players pay commensurate to their performance on the ice each night and watch how many all-stars we see on sportscenter each night.You would not see to many bad games or Miro Satan Ballerina performances at all just players busting their grapes to earn as much as they can on a nightly basis.Now that would be interesting to see! :unsure:

it seems to me that the NHL will never be a "fair fight" until they go to a hard cap and the only thing guaranteed is the signing bonus.

i don't know how everyone else feels, but if they don't come back with a system that makes competitive balance possible, they needn't bother. i'll play beer-league hockey and go see the hershey bears 10 times a year.

it seems to me that the NHL will never be a "fair fight" until they go to a hard cap and the only thing guaranteed is the signing bonus.

i don't know how everyone else feels, but if they don't come back with a system that makes competitive balance possible, they needn't bother. i'll play beer-league hockey and go see the hershey bears 10 times a year.

NHL teams can't afford to payout upfront bonus money. You can't compare the NHL with other leagues. The NFL and NBA collect a big TV dollars before the season even begins. NHL teams don't have that revenue stream.

There is a crack in the NHLPA (calling the NHLPA a union is an insult to all union workers, it is an association of millionaires.). You have scabs jumping ship to Europe to collect a check. The NHLPA is hand picking which players get paid and which players don't. And, the NHLPA is being sued and will have multiple suits within the next few weeks.

Here is quick way to break the NHLPA. Since players in the AHL are not members of the NHLPA. Send all the players to the AHL. Let them clear waivers. Once they do they can no longer be in a member of the NHLPA. Without collecting dues I don't see Goodenow lasing long.

But on a serious note. Three quick fixes for the NHL.

1) Salary Cap

2) Revenue sharing between the teams.

3) Create an NHL Propierties. Where all merchandise revenue is split between the players and the NHL. That way companies wouldn't have to pay two rights fees thus bringing down the cost/price of NHL merchandise.

Just some thoughts.

Archived