NHL: Phase Two

PromoTheRobot

I think we are starting to see a shift in the NHL. It's a combination of players learning how to defend under the new rules, and the referees starting to swallow their whistles a little more. Both, I think, are contributing to the Sabres lack of effectiveness lately.

When the season began, it was end-to-end action because defenders had no idea how much body or lumber they could apply. The Sabres were flying and showig great playmaking skills because no one was laying a finger on them.

Fast forward to the last 3 games: The Sabres look slower, unable to make plays, unable to carry the puck out of their zone, and unable to mount a meaningful scoring threat. Why? Because they are unable to respond to the increased pressure they are getting. Take the Devils and Capitals games: both teams applied closer forechecking, especially in the Sabres end, causing more turnovers and "3 Stooges-style" play.

Even the power-play, which wasn't that great to start, is even less effective because teams are not afraid to challenge the Sabres. They have figured out that, with a few exceptions, the Sabres are a poor puck-handling team. If it weren't for the stellar play of Ryan Miller, the Sabres would be well under .500 right now.

It was foolish to believe that the high-flying NHL we've seen so far would last. Coaches would figure out how to defend without getting called, and I think referees themselves want to call fewer penalties so they are going to slowly start letting things slide. The challenge for Lindy and the Sabres is to adjust to a league that is going to be more physical.

If they can't, it's going to be a long season of DeLuca rants.

PTR

I think we are starting to see a shift in the NHL. It's a combination of players learning how to defend under the new rules, and the referees starting to swallow their whistles a little more. Both, I think, are contributing to the Sabres lack of effectiveness lately.

When the season began, it was end-to-end action because defenders had no idea how much body or lumber they could apply. The Sabres were flying and showig great playmaking skills because no one was laying a finger on them.

Fast forward to the last 3 games: The Sabres look slower, unable to make plays, unable to carry the puck out of their zone, and unable to mount a meaningful scoring threat. Why? Because they are unable to respond to the increased pressure they are getting. Take the Devils and Capitals games: both teams applied closer forechecking, especially in the Sabres end, causing more turnovers and "3 Stooges-style" play.

Even the power-play, which wasn't that great to start, is even less effective because teams are not afraid to challenge the Sabres. They have figured out that, with a few exceptions, the Sabres are a poor puck-handling team. If it weren't for the stellar play of Ryan Miller, the Sabres would be well under .500 right now.

It was foolish to believe that the high-flying NHL we've seen so far would last. Coaches would figure out how to defend without getting called, and I think referees themselves want to call fewer penalties so they are going to slowly start letting things slide. The challenge for Lindy and the Sabres is to adjust to a league that is going to be more physical.

PTR

I hope you are wrong but it sounds about right. New Jersey is as sound a defensive team as their ever will be in hockey and the Caps game the Sabres seemed disinterested. Hopefully those were the reasons for the struggles and not what you stated. Time will tell.

PTR

I couldn't disagree more.

The games are being called the same. What you are seeing is a decline in the Sabres effort. Maybe they started to believe in what a great year they were going to have and stopped concentrating on the things needed to make it happen.

The season isn't over after back to back losses. They need to get back to basics. Ruff needs to stop tinkering with the lines.

Teams are starting to knock the rust off. The effort, nice as it was, the Sabres gave early needs to be raised up a notch or two. As teams find their legs the competition wil get harder. If the Sabres sit back and do nothing, via trade, they will fall out of the playoffs quickly. It's going to take a strong effort on and off the ice this season. The trade deadline will be too late. If they wait ? They'll be sellers not buyers at the deadline.

I couldn't disagree more.

The games are being called the same. What you are seeing is a decline in the Sabres effort. Maybe they started to believe in what a great year they were going to have and stopped concentrating on the things needed to make it happen.

The season isn't over after back to back losses. They need to get back to basics. Ruff needs to stop tinkering with the lines.

Teams are starting to knock the rust off. The effort, nice as it was, the Sabres gave early needs to be raised up a notch or two. As teams find their legs the competition wil get harder. If the Sabres sit back and do nothing, via trade, they will fall out of the playoffs quickly. It's going to take a strong effort on and off the ice this season. The trade deadline will be too late. If they wait ? They'll be sellers not buyers at the deadline.

Lack of effort is cetainly a possibility. The win on the Island was nice, but was as much crappy netminding by the Isles and Zhitnik's dumb DOG penalty as effort. I would feel better if I saw some domination from this team, at least some of the time. But then learning to win the close games is a good skill, too.

Let's check in after 40 games.

PTR

Lack of effort is cetainly a possibility. The win on the Island was nice, but was as much crappy netminding by the Isles and Zhitnik's dumb DOG penalty as effort. I would feel better if I saw some domination from this team, at least some of the time. But then learning to win the close games is a good skill, too.

Let's check in after 40 games.

PTR

Last season they would have lost the game on the Island. It is a sign of maturity. There were times last season they couldn't take advantage of bad goalies. Let's see how it goes.

can i remind people our record is 7-4-0. that isnt bad to the best of my knowledge. the only worry for me are Drury and Vanek. both of which need to start scoring. questions are being raised and alot of the NHL already consider Vanek to be a flop. i dont agree, but he does need to prove them wrong.

can i remind people our record is 7-4-0. that isnt bad to the best of my knowledge. the only worry for me are Drury and Vanek. both of which need to start scoring. questions are being raised and alot of the NHL already consider Vanek to be a flop. i dont agree, but he does need to prove them wrong.

what? how can you be a flop 11 games into your rookie season, after never playing the the minors? you need to take another drink and relax.

Drrrrury'sssss (slurred for drunken sabre) problems are another matter.

what? how can you be a flop 11 games into your rookie season, after never playing the the minors? you need to take another drink and relax.

Drrrrury'sssss (slurred for drunken sabre) problems are another matter.

err i never said i consider him a flop. i said the % of the NHL do. i know its only 11 games. and look at Eric Staal, this is his 2nd or 3rd pro season, just starting to show his colours. im just saying that he does need to score, and so does drury. but as i said in the preseason, ill give him time to score his 1st, cause once one comes, the floodgates will open :D

hell yeah, that's 100 point pace!

and i wouldn't worry about either one of those guys...even though vanek is killing my fantasy team.

Archived