This Day in Sabres History :: June 22

June 22, 1999

Letting a scorching early-summer sun dry out their disappointment and a light breeze off Lake Erie stir their heart-felt gratitude, an estimated 20,000 Buffalo Sabres fans cram Niagara Square at high noon to let the world know two things. They are proud, and they are ? still ? pissed. Eight years and five months after a similar rally followed the Buffalo Bills' heartbreaking loss in Super Bowl XXV, this time the fans come to commiserate not over Scott Norwood's right foot but Brett Hull's left skate. They also come to say, in the most dramatic way possible, thank you.

Three quotes from this day resonate:

John Rigas: "Give us the tools and we'll finish the job," he quoted the Prime Minister of England as saying to the rest of the free world in the face of incessant Nazi attack during World War II. Rigas' version: "We're determined to give the Sabres the tools to finish the job."

Lindy Ruff: "I'm going to leave you with two words, the final two words for the summer: NO GOAL!"

Dominik Hasek: "Have a nice summer and let's get Cup Crazy 2000."

But Rob Ray offers what is, in retrospect, the most haunting remark. "This team is going to be unbelievable in years to come. You can almost guarantee there are going to be many more days like this in the future. The bright young stars that we have are not to be denied."

Hey, maybe he was a soothsayer and was talking about the 2005-2006 Sabres!

June 22, 2002

The Sabres trade malcontent Slava Kozlov and the 41st pick in the draft to Atlanta for the 31st and 82nd picks. The Sabres then ship those picks to Edmonton for Jochen Hecht.

I remember everything but the Ray quote. I guess at that point in his career, he wasn't the guy I turned to for talk of the future.

Those details on the Kozlov deal aren't completely accurate. They kept one of the picks and traded the other, along with a pick they got in return for Mike Pandolfo to Edmonton. Come on, BU players demand your respect!

June 22, 2002

The Sabres trade malcontent Slava Kozlov and the 41st pick in the draft to Atlanta for the 31st and 82nd picks. The Sabres then ship those picks to Edmonton for Jochen Hecht.

This was a very good deal by Regier. Even though I was slightly disappointed in Hecht's game during the playoffs, he is one of the Sabres best forwards and one that I would like to see locked up before he hits the UFA market. He turned 29 yesterday and I'm not sure if he has 1 or 2 years left on his current deal.

This was a very good deal by Regier. Even though I was slightly disappointed in Hecht's game during the playoffs, he is one of the Sabres best forwards and one that I would like to see locked up before he hits the UFA market. He turned 29 yesterday and I'm not sure if he has 1 or 2 years left on his current deal.

you've gotta wonder how much those nagging injuries affected jochen's game in the playoffs. Like max, i believe he was hiding some pain, and it showed with a decrease in ability.

I remember everything but the Ray quote. I guess at that point in his career, he wasn't the guy I turned to for talk of the future.

Those details on the Kozlov deal aren't completely accurate. They kept one of the picks and traded the other, along with a pick they got in return for Mike Pandolfo to Edmonton. Come on, BU players demand your respect!

That came straight out of the 2002-03 Media Guide transactions section. In the same guide, in Hecht's profile, it says the Sabres traded the 31st and 36th picks to Edmonton.

The Sabres traded Mike Pandolfo for a pick?

That came straight out of the 2002-03 Media Guide transactions section. In the same guide, in Hecht's profile, it says the Sabres traded the 31st and 36th picks to Edmonton.

The Sabres traded Mike Pandolfo for a pick?

Here is what I found:

June 22,2002

June 22,2002

30th pick overall in 2002 draft and rights to Mike Pandolfo to Columbus for the 20th pick overall in 2002 (Dan Paille)

June 22,2002

31st and 36th picks overall in the 2002 draft to Edmonton for Jochen Hecht.

June 22,2002

88th overall pick in 2002 and a 2nd round pick in 2003 to Nashville for the 36th pick overall in the 2002 draft

June 22,2002

Vyacheslav Kozlov, 41st pick overall in 2002 to Atlanta for 31st and 82nd picks overall in the 2002 draft.

Ok, I was wrong, but that Pandolfo trade looks pretty good to me. The other pick came in that exchange with Nashville.

June 22, 1999

Letting a scorching early-summer sun dry out their disappointment and a light breeze off Lake Erie stir their heart-felt gratitude, an estimated 20,000 Buffalo Sabres fans cram Niagara Square at high noon to let the world know two things. They are proud, and they are ? still ? pissed. Eight years and five months after a similar rally followed the Buffalo Bills' heartbreaking loss in Super Bowl XXV, this time the fans come to commiserate not over Scott Norwood's right foot but Brett Hull's left skate. They also come to say, in the most dramatic way possible, thank you.

Three quotes from this day resonate:

John Rigas: "Give us the tools and we'll finish the job," he quoted the Prime Minister of England as saying to the rest of the free world in the face of incessant Nazi attack during World War II. Rigas' version: "We're determined to give the Sabres the tools to finish the job."

Lindy Ruff: "I'm going to leave you with two words, the final two words for the summer: NO GOAL!"

Dominik Hasek: "Have a nice summer and let's get Cup Crazy 2000."

But Rob Ray offers what is, in retrospect, the most haunting remark. "This team is going to be unbelievable in years to come. You can almost guarantee there are going to be many more days like this in the future. The bright young stars that we have are not to be denied."

Hey, maybe he was a soothsayer and was talking about the 2005-2006 Sabres!

June 22, 2002

You forget one of the best quotes from that day. Hasek said something along the lines of "This year we get 14 wins, next year I promise 16 wins," and he started to walk away, and came then caught himself and said "Oh, in playoffs."

Thanks shrader for the explanation on the Pandolfos. I think I just had my first Senior Moment.

Your first?

BTW, Doesn't Lindy winning the Coach of the Year warrant an amended "This Day In Sabres History?"

Thanks shrader for the explanation on the Pandolfos. I think I just had my first Senior Moment.

If it makes you feel any better old man, I'm probably the only person on this board who even knows who Mike Pandolfo is. Oh, and he couldn't cut it in the NHL either.