Big game tonight.

deluca67

A great 6-2 start could turn into an average 6-5 start.

This team is starting to look more and more like last season. That's not good. They need finishers and blueliners in the worst way. They have role players. They need to go out and get some top line guys. I guess it's way too late for that.

At least we have three good goalies ;)

How are Satan (10 games 9 points) and Zhitnik (10 games 10 points) doing this season? :lol:

You are starting to make me look down right chipper. :D I can't argue with the need for a finisher and a strong D-man, but Satan was a cancer and Z isn't worth whatever ridiculous jack the Isles are paying him.

The best we can hope for is calling up Roy and possibly Pominville and sitting some of the non-producers in our lineup. :unsure:

You are starting to make me look down right chipper. :D I can't argue with the need for a finisher and a strong D-man, but Satan was a cancer and Z isn't worth whatever ridiculous jack the Isles are paying him.

The best we can hope for is calling up Roy and possibly Pominville and sitting some of the non-producers in our lineup. :unsure:

Give me a 40 goal a year jerk over a 15 goal Man of the Year anyday. :lol:

Zhitnk? I've said this a dozen times before. In a "New" open NHL. His skating ability makes him one of the top blueliners in hockey.

They need finishers and blueliners in the worst way. They have role players. They need to go out and get some top line guys. I guess it's way too late for that.

I understand the frustration with Regier's past moves and the way they are playing, and I have no problem with you calling a spade a spade when someone (everyone!?) plays like crap ...

But if you are right, if all they have are role players who can't finish and bad defensemen, how exactly should they "go out and get some top line guys."????

I mean, are there some NHL GMs out there who can't see what you see? Is someone going to give them a Gagne or a Staal for Pyatt, Connolly and Tallinder? I mean, maybe if they throw in Noronen too, they can get Crosby from the Pens.

I'm not disagreeing that the team is flawed, just saying it takes two to tango and if they suck as bad as you say, how can you expect them to get a "top line guy" when they only have crap to offer? if they fired Regier today and hired you, do you really think you could fix it by trading all these guys who suck for top line players?

Again, I'm not defending Regier's moves of the past. I would shed no tears if they did fire him and hired someone else, even you. I just don't think there is a miracle fix trade to be made. They might be able to package a goalie with something to upgrade a little somewhere, but at the end of the day, these guys are going to have to bust their and sneak into the playoffs. And if they play like they have the last two games, they have no prayer. But this board is going to go insane if after every loss all we see is "Get rid of these guys!!!!" and that seems to be the theme.

Regier did mange to get Briere for Gratton. Maybe we can swing a deal, Pyatt for Gionta. ;)

And god job Darcey on that trade. But 1 every 4 years doesn't get it done. As part of the Drury deal they let Steve Begin walk and sign with the Habs. They love him up there. And he's done more for them then Drury has done here.

I understand the frustration with Regier's past moves and the way they are playing, and I have no problem with you calling a spade a spade when someone (everyone!?) plays like crap ...

But if you are right, if all they have are role players who can't finish and bad defensemen, how exactly should they "go out and get some top line guys."????

I mean, are there some NHL GMs out there who can't see what you see? Is someone going to give them a Gagne or a Staal for Pyatt, Connolly and Tallinder? I mean, maybe if they throw in Noronen too, they can get Crosby from the Pens.

I'm not disagreeing that the team is flawed, just saying it takes two to tango and if they suck as bad as you say, how can you expect them to get a "top line guy" when they only have crap to offer? if they fired Regier today and hired you, do you really think you could fix it by trading all these guys who suck for top line players?

Again, I'm not defending Regier's moves of the past. I would shed no tears if they did fire him and hired someone else, even you. I just don't think there is a miracle fix trade to be made. They might be able to package a goalie with something to upgrade a little somewhere, but at the end of the day, these guys are going to have to bust their and sneak into the playoffs. And if they play like they have the last two games, they have no prayer. But this board is going to go insane if after every loss all we see is "Get rid of these guys!!!!" and that seems to be the theme.

You're right. It is too late to change things now.

The Sabres need to know that another season without the playoffs is unacceptable. Not many are buying tickets. Maybe that is enough of a message to get things changed.

We should have let Biron walk, not signed Teppo, used that money to pay for Zhitnik, and used the extra roster spot to keep Roy. Satan was addition by subtraction. Our team would be a lot better.

But hey, hindsight is 20/20.

I hate Satan, and i agree that he was a cancer. And like alot of cancers, they don't just go away. I think he'll have 2 if not 3 goals tonight. It sucks, but were going to get rocked. For second night in row, i'm going to be pissed.

Yeah? You hated Satan?

When he was scoring 30-40 goals a year you were saying you hated him?

When he was the only offense this team had? You hated him?

Or did you start hateing him when Briere started to score? Or when he didn't sign with the Sabres? Or when he felt insulted on how the Sabres treated last season?

Just wondering.

<_<

Except when you say it before, during and after it happens.

No hindsight. The Sabres were called out on these moves as they happened. <_<

No, it's hindsight because the market for defenseman this offseason was anything but predictable. If you had said that Zhitnik would have got $4 million in July you would have been laughed at. That caught Regier and eveyone else (though those teams will pay dearly for their mistakes later) off guard. Making an offseason plan 10 games into the season is much easier.

No, it's hindsight because the market for defenseman this offseason was anything but predictable. If you had said that Zhitnik would have got $4 million in July you would have been laughed at. That caught Regier and eveyone else (though those teams will pay dearly for their mistakes later) off guard. Making an offseason plan 10 games into the season is much easier.

I did. And I was.

Z is a clear example of how the grass is always greener elsewhere. He is far closer to being worth $4 million then Drury is worth being $3 million. The Sabres chose to spend their limited money certains way. I think they could have spent the money a little wiser.

And god job Darcey on that trade. But 1 every 4 years doesn't get it done. As part of the Drury deal they let Steve Begin walk and sign with the Habs. They love him up there. And he's done more for them then Drury has done here.

Why do you have such a hard time spelling such a simple name?

I guess Michal Grosek for Dumont, Gilmour, and 3 million dollars wasn't any good.

And Peca is really tearing it up with his 5 points in 11 games with a -1. Connolly has the same stat line at half the price and 5 years off of the age.

Let's not talk about Mike Wilson for Rhett Warrener either.

Let's also forget to mention Darcy's draft picks of Roy, Vanek, Miller, and Kalinin.

I'm sure you were sad to see the Sabres win last night. It means your only option for spewing this crap today is the toilet.

One more for you to chew on, big boy.

"Former Sabres defenseman Alexei Zhitnik, who'd scored the Isles' second goal, was whistled for successive penalties late in the period. His delay-of-game and hooking calls led to PP goals by former Islander Tim Connolly (out-of-air deflection) and Ales Kotalik (his second of the game) in the final 5:06."

Do you really miss THAT? Zhitnik hasn't changed a bit. He is still losing more games than he is winning and he is still giving up more goals than he is preventing.

Why do you have such a hard time spelling such a simple name?

I guess Michal Grosek for Dumont, Gilmour, and 3 million dollars wasn't any good.

And Peca is really tearing it up with his 5 points in 11 games with a -1. Connolly has the same stat line at half the price and 5 years off of the age.

Let's not talk about Mike Wilson for Rhett Warrener either.

Let's also forget to mention Darcy's draft picks of Roy, Vanek, Miller, and Kalinin.

I'm sure you were sad to see the Sabres win last night. It means your only option for spewing this crap today is the toilet.

You are so sad.

Do you want to go Darci move for Darcie move ;)

Let us talk about not getting Ron Francis signed. Let us talk about losing prospects because of typo's and broken fax machines. Let us talk about being in a playoff drive and bringing in Bob Corkum. Let us talk about Andy Delmore and Jeff Jilson. How about trading Lafontaine and getting nothing back. Let us talk about Bob Essensa. Let us talk about Dwayne Roloson.

I can keep going without a mention of Peca, Satan and Zhitnik. But I won't.

And one more thing. According to the Calgary GM, as reported by Jim Kelley of the Buffalo News at the time, Darceye turned down a straight up Jerome Ignila for Peca trade.

<_<

If you could also remind me where the Islanders are in the standings with your golden boys. What's their record against the Sabres this season?

How does the Islanders standings mean anything to the Sabres? They are both on a point per game pace. Do the Sabres have anyone on that pace besides Briere. Drury did alot of talking. What's his point total? His +/-? And I already know about his face offs.

One more for you to chew on, big boy.

"Former Sabres defenseman Alexei Zhitnik, who'd scored the Isles' second goal, was whistled for successive penalties late in the period. His delay-of-game and hooking calls led to PP goals by former Islander Tim Connolly (out-of-air deflection) and Ales Kotalik (his second of the game) in the final 5:06."

Do you really miss THAT? Zhitnik hasn't changed a bit. He is still losing more games than he is winning and he is still giving up more goals than he is preventing.

Right :P

I forgot that Z is the only Islander player and any loss goes right to him.

It appears you spend less time watching hockey then you do reading the posts. You are clueless on both fronts.

Why don't you look up Briere's comments on Z signing with the Islanders? And other players as well.

And try to take a closer look at the current Sabres defense.

Right :P

I forgot that Z is the only Islander player and any loss goes right to him.

It appears you spend less time watching hockey then you do reading the posts. You are clueless on both fronts.

Why don't you look up Briere's comments on Z signing with the Islanders? And other players as well.

And try to take a closer look at the current Sabres defense.

apparently you don't like regier?

you seem content with pointing out the short-sightedness of other arguments then i would suggest you do not use the stat line from zhitnik and satan based on 10 games in early october.

the true test will be at the end of the year and who is in the playoffs. we all know when satan scored most of his goals the past 5 years - and you are right, Briere scoring goals made Satan expendable. I don't get that point?

I think anyone in this room would have loved to have kept Z around b/c of his toughness and ability to eat ice time, but as it has already been pointed out, the penalties will drive you crazy and he is bound to take even more in this new league.

The team is 7-4 on the new year and except for a couple of eggs they are fun to watch...some people are just never happy. I am happy with Darcy staying relatively quiet this off season then what they did in Pitt - how's that working out for them?

apparently you don't like regier?

you seem content with pointing out the short-sightedness of other arguments then i would suggest you do not use the stat line from zhitnik and satan based on 10 games in early october.

the true test will be at the end of the year and who is in the playoffs. we all know when satan scored most of his goals the past 5 years - and you are right, Briere scoring goals made Satan expendable. I don't get that point?

I think anyone in this room would have loved to have kept Z around b/c of his toughness and ability to eat ice time, but as it has already been pointed out, the penalties will drive you crazy and he is bound to take even more in this new league.

The team is 7-4 on the new year and except for a couple of eggs they are fun to watch...some people are just never happy. I am happy with Darcy staying relatively quiet this off season then what they did in Pitt - how's that working out for them?

The difference between the Pens and Sabres is goaltending.

It is about the playoffs. If Regier waits to make moves, as he has done in the past, it'll be to late, as it was in the past.

And when did Satan's goals come? They were all when the games were over or empty nets? Be better then that. ;)

30-40 goal scorers are never expendable.

Satan's and Z's production is relevant. When you can see that the players that are to make up the lost production, Lydman, Teppo, Vanek and Drury are not getting the job done.

7-4 is nice. But it's still only good enough for 6th place. That's how it will be all year. If this team lets down at all they will drop out of a playoff spot. 13 of the 15 teams in the East seem ready to battle for a spot. That's 13 teams for 8 spots. The Sabres need to be proactive and address which needs thay can. Why wait for a crisis. That's bad business and bad hockey.

Guest #1SabresFan

I think it is FUNNY that people like DELUCA67 keep bringing up players like Zhitnik

and SATAN you say oh look at their points blah blah blah

but how are the ISLANDERS DOING!! 5-6 SABRES 7-4

SO if they are so great players why aren't the Islanders in first place cant MIRO and ZHITNIK bring them to the top?????

I say the sabres are better without them and lets face it when ZHITNIK was here he never hit the net and yes MIRO was awesome to watch but we didn't win with them

let it go guys let it go

next thing you know DELUCA will be bringing up draft picks from 20 years ago complaining OH wait he already did LOL

DELUCA you are funny

Guest #1SabresFan

DELUCA you obviously don't understand hockey

just because you have a need to address doesn't mean you can address it

Its not like ordering a pizza

het lets call up a team order 2 goal scorers a defenseman and it will be ready in 30 minutes or free

do you think that Darcy doesn't understand and do you think the other GM's are just going to give it up for free.

Please use your head

it is like hearing poeple say "oh reiger he doesn't know what he is doing he should of traded Norenan for a 2nd round pick"

Then you poeple complain that buffalo cant draft but you want to trade for pics????

then you want players now but will trade for picks???

then you want to compare buffalo bills to buffalo sabres????

then you compare hockey to baseball????

then you complain about tony Lydman???

then you complain about SATAN???

then you complain about ZHITNIK???

then you complain about ZHITNIK when he was here???

then you complain REIGER doesn't make trades????

then you complian he trades to late???

then you complain RUFF is terrible???

SO what are you waiting for trade teams or watch hockey

you complain buffalo sabres don't sell out but the bills do and that is bad hockey

i don't get how you can compare the 2 when 20,000 fans go to a pig race in Ireland and 10,000 people watch performers in Amsterdam square

Please DELUCA understand peoples intrests is what motivates to watch

compaing hockey and football is not the same people love football people like hockey.

People watch a losing football team

people don't watch a losing hockey team

I think if we won the Cup people Like deluca would still complain about something

I out

You are so sad.

Do you want to go Darci move for Darcie move ;)

Let us talk about not getting Ron Francis signed. Let us talk about losing prospects because of typo's and broken fax machines. Let us talk about being in a playoff drive and bringing in Bob Corkum. Let us talk about Andy Delmore and Jeff Jilson. How about trading Lafontaine and getting nothing back. Let us talk about Bob Essensa. Let us talk about Dwayne Roloson.

I can keep going without a mention of Peca, Satan and Zhitnik. But I won't.

And one more thing. According to the Calgary GM, as reported by Jim Kelley of the Buffalo News at the time, Darceye turned down a straight up Jerome Ignila for Peca trade.

<_<

You can't really blame Darcy on the Roloson thing. Roloson was picked up by Columbus in the expansion draft then ended up in St. Louis's system. Roloson was signed by Minnesota as a free agent after an excellent season in the minors.

Roloson's game changed completely when he was in the minors after the Sabres let him go. He went from being a reaction goaltender to a positional goaltender with a huge improvement in his level of play.

Archived