0 for 4

mphs mike

After having watched many seasons of anemic Sabres "powerplays" and weak drawmen, I came up with an idea that I'd like to see the NHL try. (And actually, I expect that overall this year the Sabres powerplay will be decent to good and I also like Drury and Gaustad on faceoffs; so it wouldn't be as beneficial to the Sabres as in years past, but I digress.)

What I would like to see is having the penalized player serve his penalty, but give the team that would be awarded a powerplay the option of either skating with the extra attacker OR having control of the puck on the next 3 faceoffs (they could experiment with the actual # of faceoffs to be awarded). The way it would work is that the teams would line up in normal faceoff orientation, but the puck would be placed on the stick of the defenseman nearest to the boards (kind of like indoor lacrosse where one team is given possession of the ball).

It is definitely radical, and I expect a lot of people to not like the idea; but a LOT of goals are scored in the NHL by controlling the puck off the faceoff. Giving a team the option of taking the puck or the extra man could provide some teams a better scoring chance than simply giving them a man advantage.

Archived