How many fights have the Sabres been in...

inkman

I recall one fight I heared about. On the Florida roadtrip, Brian Campbell got into a huge pillow fight with roommate Tim Connolly. I guess they were fighting about who would get the bed closest to the window in their hotel room. Campbell got in one good shot and Connolly wasn't heard from for the rest of the trip.

Peters did fight in one of the games he's been on the ice for. I think it was Ottawa, but I'm not entirely sure. Thanks to the fight, he spent more time in the penalty box than on the ice, some like 5 pim to 1:45 on the ice....or somewhere in that vicinity.

It really wasn't even much of a fight, just a bunch of square dancing. There was another game where a Sabre dropped the gloves with an opponent, but when the smoke cleared they got roughing calls. I believe that was in the Pittsburgh game. For some reason, I'm thinking that was Jochen, but can't say for sure.

I keep hoping to see Gaustad drop the gloves and pound some opponent into ALPO but it hasn't happened yet. I figured when Lindy kept putting him out against Joe Thronton in the 2 Boston games, he'd take a good shot at Joey T and one of his line mates would get into a good fight with Paul, but that never materialized.

I recall one fight I heared about. On the Florida roadtrip, Brian Campbell got into a huge pillow fight with roommate Tim Connolly. I guess they were fighting about who would get the bed closest to the window in their hotel room. Campbell got in one good shot and Connolly wasn't heard from for the rest of the trip.

HAHA! :rolleyes:

Peters vs McGratton

4-0 Sens in the 3rd period near the 8 minute mark.

Right off the draw at center ice after the Sens most recent goal they drop'em for a nice square off. They lunge in and immediately just start throwing rights at each other with Peters tagging McGratton with a big right sending him to a knee but he gets back up and returns a right of his own that seemed to land. Neither player wanted to give up position in this tilt. The refs stepped in too soon IMO.

Win Peters

This is exactly why Peters is a waste of a roster spot that should be occupied by Derek Roy. :angry:

IF they are willing to put Roy on the top line or the 3rd line, he should be in Buffalo. Bringing him up to sit in the pressbox, ala Peters, or to get 8 shifts a game, ala Pyatt, will not do him or the Sabres any good.

I don't think that Lindy would put him on any of the top 3 lines, so I would rather see him stay in Rochester and get better. If Lindy will let him play, then bring him up. I don't think anyone on either scoring line has played his way into the press box at this point, so I don't think Lindy would play him on either of those 2 lines. I also don't see the Sabres putting him on the checking line. I DON'T want him in the pressbox or on the 4th line. That is just a waste.

IF they are willing to put Roy on the top line or the 3rd line, he should be in Buffalo. Bringing him up to sit in the pressbox, ala Peters, or to get 8 shifts a game, ala Pyatt, will not do him or the Sabres any good.

I don't think that Lindy would put him on any of the top 3 lines, so I would rather see him stay in Rochester and get better. If Lindy will let him play, then bring him up. I don't think anyone on either scoring line has played his way into the press box at this point, so I don't think Lindy would play him on either of those 2 lines. I also don't see the Sabres putting him on the checking line. I DON'T want him in the pressbox or on the 4th line. That is just a waste.

agreed. Connelly's and Briere's line's wont be split, and theres not alot more you can do with Drury's line other than sit somebody. and theres no-one there who you can really sit. Drury needs to be there, as captain and to save our penalty killing, Grier has played ok and Vanek's our top rookie.

agreed. Connelly's and Briere's line's wont be split, and theres not alot more you can do with Drury's line other than sit somebody. and theres no-one there who you can really sit. Drury needs to be there, as captain and to save our penalty killing, Grier has played ok and Vanek's our top rookie.

Why can't Connolly's line be broken up? He is not setting the world on fire. Once again in the last game, I saw Connolly floating back down the slot while a player three strides ahead of him scored a goal. If Ruff can sent Vanek down to the fourth line, he can certainly replace Connolly with Roy for a game or two.

regarding the fights, or lack thereof, i don't miss them a bit. i think they are sort of a joke. they add nothing to the game, least of all change the outcome. not that i recoil in horror every time two guys decided to duke it out, but if the price to be paid for the general absence of fisticuffs is the brand of hockey we've seen so far, then we got a BARGAIN.

btw, i never hear anyone complain about the absence of fighting in international hockey.

I'm sure the need for "protecting" your undersized skill players will never be completely gone, but the need for someone to "only" be able to fight and not contribute in other areas is. If Mair or Guastad remain productive (not nec. in scoring but in penalty kill and solid 5 on 5 play, they should be able to fill this role. Using your head and not taking bad penalties by beiing goaded into fights is a plus, also.

Does anyone remember the Don Cherry Bruins? He claimed in his book that he would just write his name in the line up to intimidate teams. Those days are over. Just putting an enforcer out to go with the other teams enforcer is a waiste. Having someone that will defend a smaller teamate will never leave. Should someone run Briere in a game someone would have to step up. I believe Drury has the mentality for this, but maybe not the size. I would love to see a player like Pyatt or Tallinder step into this. They could increase their value to the team and open that roster spot (peters') for someone. It also would be nice if Peters could become a decent 4th liner and fill this role. It doesn't seem that Lindy has that kind of faith in him and he hasn't shone that he can skate well enough to contribute 5/5 .

Why can't Connolly's line be broken up? He is not setting the world on fire. Once again in the last game, I saw Connolly floating back down the slot while a player three strides ahead of him scored a goal. If Ruff can sent Vanek down to the fourth line, he can certainly replace Connolly with Roy for a game or two.

connelly's line wont be, i didnt say they cant be. i wouldnt mind replacing connelly with roy and sitting roy, now Miller is out.

Archived