LYDMAN IS A DISASTER

inkman

I wasn't on the bandwagon early but after watching Wednesday's game I see what everbody is saying. If you want him for the power play, fine but don't give him 25 minutes of ice time a game. He makes Zhitniks decision making look genious. I not real big on Teppo either. I can't figure out what he does do well anymore.

I wasn't on the bandwagon early but after watching Wednesday's game I see what everbody is saying. If you want him for the power play, fine but don't give him 25 minutes of ice time a game. He makes Zhitniks decision making look genious. I not real big on Teppo either. I can't figure out what he does do well anymore.

Unimpressive? yes...worthy of Zhitnik-like playing time? Definitely not...a disaster? not quite -- watching Jillson in March of '04, THAT was a disaster...this guy will be a solid #4/5 d-man..we need to trade Marty for a real top 4 blueliner (Smith or Morris would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath).

Unimpressive? yes...worthy of Zhitnik-like playing time? Definitely not...a disaster? not quite -- watching Jillson in March of '04, THAT was a disaster...this guy will be a solid #4/5 d-man..we need to trade Marty for a real top 4 blueliner (Smith or Morris would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath).

I think a top 4 D-man is probably more valuable than a mid-level goaltender. It sounds crazy but unless you have a difference maker in net, he won't be worth that much.

After a slow start, he's been steadily improving and has played well in recent games. He's smart, fast, and positionlly sound. He uses the stick check very effectively and will often win pucks along the boards while being hassled by one or more forecheckers. He hasn't made any disastrous failed clearing attempts and consistently gets the puck to the sideboards, where the forwards should be. He uses his agility to steer opposing forwards to the side and if they don't protect the puck, he's quick to knock it off their stick. Early in the season, he had some critical puck possession gaffes, but they have become rare lately. You have to expect some errors from a guy that playing 23 minutes a game. Offensively, he's probably our best d-man when it comes to shot selection. He's good at taking wristers or snap shots that are hard and low. He doesn't attempt to shoot a slapper through three guys, instead he'll take a nice wrist/snap shot that is hard enough to lead to rebounds and accurate enough for forwards to get a piece of. He can carry the puck up the ice and generally makes good dump ins.

While he may not be a #1 guy for most teams, he has hardly been a disaster. I feel comfortable with him out there and think he'll continue to improve. Certainly worth a 3rd rounder and I believe we'll eventually look back on it as one of Darcy's best trades.

Why would anyone give up a top 4 d-man for Marty? I sincerely doubt he's that highly thought of around the league.

Why would anyone give up a top 4 d-man for Marty? I sincerely doubt he's that highly thought of around the league.

Why would anyone give up Danny Briere for Chris Gratton? JP Dumont & Doug Gilmour for Michael Grosek (?!?), Stu Barnes for Matt Barnaby, Miro Satan for Barrie Moore & Craig Millar (not Darcy, but still relevant)? Even Lydman for a 3rd round pick...if someone's desperate enough, Darcy will get us decent value in return...For many teams, Marty would be a step up -- if some team out there is rich on defense, but thin in goal, they may have to bite the bullet on this, because as we all know, without goaltending, you can't win. Marty's not an all-star, but he's better than anything Edmonton can suit up in goal right now...and we have the cap space to absorb a large contract in return -- especially if we dump Biron's $2.1 MM...

Why would anyone give up Danny Briere for Chris Gratton? JP Dumont & Doug Gilmour for Michael Grosek (?!?), Stu Barnes for Matt Barnaby, Miro Satan for Barrie Moore & Craig Millar (not Darcy, but still relevant)? Even Lydman for a 3rd round pick...if someone's desperate enough, Darcy will get us decent value in return...For many teams, Marty would be a step up -- if some team out there is rich on defense, but thin in goal, they may have to bite the bullet on this, because as we all know, without goaltending, you can't win. Marty's not an all-star, but he's better than anything Edmonton can suit up in goal right now...and we have the cap space to absorb a large contract in return -- especially if we dump Biron's $2.1 MM...

Yes but none of the guys you mention had a pricetag on them like Biron does.

Yes but none of the guys you mention had a pricetag on them like Biron does.

Chris Gratton was being paid $2 million a season when we dumped his underachieving ass...and Gilmour's salary was $6 million (I believe Chicago paid half )...

I get your point here, but if some team has a glut of defenseman (like Calgary had) and can replace a high-priced vet with a cheaper, younger model, and get a young, starting goalie, then why not? Smith makes almost $2 MM in Edmonton, Derek Morris and Aaron Miller both make $2.7 MM...

Archived