STAY IN BUFFALO...PLEASE

inkman

Look, I'm tired of the Rochester-bashing. This town draws excellent crowds for the Amerks, has for decades. Against a decent opponent, this game would have sold out (like the Devils game two years ago), even at those prices. But the Capitals? Please. And anyway, the Sabres probably made more $$ on this game, with 8,500 seats at Gold/Silver prices, than they would have if it had been held at HSBC as a Bronze game.

Other people have pointed out, and I agree, that the drive to Buffalo isn't that much of a burden. If we're going to be expected to pay $77 for a good seat, we'll just go to Buffalo and see the Canadiens, Leafs, Sens or Bruins. Or we'll fill the War Memorial to see any of those teams. To expect us to fill the place for a crappy opponent is insulting. (Not only that, but to play like they did the other night, and then for some of you to blame the crowd for their play, is also insulting.)

Without Rochester, Buffalo doesn't have the market to support either the Sabres or the Bills. Hell, without Rochester and Tom Golisano, the Sabres wouldn't even be here right now. So please, stop bad-mouthing this town and realize that one game a year here -- against a decent opponent -- is the LEAST the Sabres can do for its Rochester fan base.

Rant off.

I wasn't bashing Rochester. I live there. My parents were season ticket holders for about 20 years to the Amerks and I went to atleast 30 games a year for about 12 years. I just don't think we need anymore Sabres games here. The players were disinterested, the fans were ambivilent and it was just a poor environment. Lets keep it the way it is supposed to be. Amerks here, Sabres there. :)

I agree with the sentiment that the drive to Buffalo for a Sabres game is not a huge impediment for us Rochesterians. So, rather than bringing us a lousy opponent at Gold/Silver prices, we'd rather just make the drive and see a decent opponent. I mean $77 to see the Caps is a lot to ask when you can get the same ticket for about $20 to see the Amerks.

I always felt that this move to put a game in Rochester was more designed to sell their "Rochester 5 packs" rather than "treat" Rochester fans to an NHL game. Whatever the intent, I think that they should just do one pre-season game here, and leave it at that.

I agree with the sentiment that the drive to Buffalo for a Sabres game is not a huge impediment for us Rochesterians. So, rather than bringing us a lousy opponent at Gold/Silver prices, we'd rather just make the drive and see a decent opponent. I mean $77 to see the Caps is a lot to ask when you can get the same ticket for about $20 to see the Amerks.

I always felt that this move to put a game in Rochester was more designed to sell their "Rochester 5 packs" rather than "treat" Rochester fans to an NHL game. Whatever the intent, I think that they should just do one pre-season game here, and leave it at that.

$77 for a ticket...WOW. I wouldn't pay $77 to see them at HSBC. What were the full range of ticket prices?

Being a Rochester native, and long time Sabres and Amerks Fan, I appreciated what Golisano did by bringing the Sabres/NHL to Rochester. After all, we are the back bone of the Buffalo team. Being that the Amerks are the farm team for the Sabres, it unites the Western New York hockey region and gives us all something to be proud of. It makes both teams/cities unique in the sense that this - (Sabres/NHL playing in a non-NHL location) has only happened here, in Rochester. No other teams in the league have done this. Thus showing the tight bond between Rochester and Buffalo.

For some to state that the Sabres should stay in Buffalo is a little ignorant, considering half that team has called Rochester "home" for years. I don't believe fans should get all bent out of shape on playing in Roch just because the Sabres failed to play a full 60 min. of hockey Wed. night. You can't blame the lack of fans for the teams loss. You CAN blame the Sabres for the lack of fans however. Charging those rediculous prices is what held back the fans, not to mention poor marketing of the game. All of this stems from the Sabres, not the fans who are their to support them.

When the Sabres played the Devils last season, I payed $40 for rink side seats at the War Memorial, it was amazing!!! Sure, given that Gionta (Roch Native) was playing helped draw a good crowd, but it was the cheap tickets that were responsible for making it a sell-out game.

I look forward to seeing my Sabres play in Roch next season, pending that they get the nod from the league.

Sure. I just wish I didn't have to think of it after Wednesday's game. I really like the way Mckee, Briere and Gaustad are playing. Just because I criticize doens't mean I'm always negative. Maybe I'll find you some positive posts from the old inkman. :D

Archived