Campbell

DoctorDeadly

If Campbell and Pyatt suck so bad, and I'm not saying they don't, what exactly do you think they can get for them? Is there ANY market out there for these guys? At least the goalie you can point to teams who need halp and we are talking about players who have had some decent success ... If Regier trades Pyatt and Campbell for a bag of pucks and a 12th round pick, would that be a good move? You can't just trade for the sake of trading. I understand the frustration with these young guys who have not developed, but we are talking about the 12th forward and the 7th defenseman ... EVERY team would like to improve those spots, I'm not sure why people think the Sabres should somehow have All-stars at these spots. I'm pretty sure you could go to a message board for the Red Wings and find them complaining about their 12th forward too ...

If Campbell and Pyatt suck so bad, and I'm not saying they don't, what exactly do you think they can get for them? Is there ANY market out there for these guys? At least the goalie you can point to teams who need halp and we are talking about players who have had some decent success ... If Regier trades Pyatt and Campbell for a bag of pucks and a 12th round pick, would that be a good move? You can't just trade for the sake of trading. I understand the frustration with these young guys who have not developed, but we are talking about the 12th forward and the 7th defenseman ... EVERY team would like to improve those spots, I'm not sure why people think the Sabres should somehow have All-stars at these spots. I'm pretty sure you could go to a message board for the Red Wings and find them complaining about their 12th forward too ...

who cares what we can get for em... get em out of here... there the equvilant to throwing a big ol' boat anchor out the back of a racing boat... not gonna do much for us gettin to the finish line is it... at least with them gone we've cut the chain on that anchor...

EDIT: oh and ive never ever really liked campbell. for some reason just rubbed me the wrong way from the start... maybe he was thrown in to early... just a joke all way around that boy is...

who cares what we can get for em... get em out of here... there the equvilant to throwing a big ol' boat anchor out the back of a racing boat... not gonna do much for us gettin to the finish line is it... at least with them gone we've cut the chain on that anchor...

EDIT: oh and ive never ever really liked campbell. for some reason just rubbed me the wrong way from the start... maybe he was thrown in to early... just a joke all way around that boy is...

Look, they may not be great assets, but they are assets. They have a value (small perhaps, but positive value none the less). You cannot give assets away for nothing and expect to put a competitive team on the ice, especially with a small market / budget team.

Darcy has not done well in managing major assets (LaFontaine, Peca, Hasek, Miro), but the only one where there were not extenuating circumstances in was Miro. Even in that one, a case can be made, that he didn't make a major mistake, he just assigned a probability of what values would be placed on players in the "new" NHL and when the dice were rolled they came up on the short end. Miro ended up having more value than Darcy and the rest of the Sabres brass expected. Were they wrong in their assessment? Not necessarily, as people were making assumptions about what the landscape would be. No one really knew how free agency would play out. From what I have read so far, players will be giving money back to the owners, not because revenues will be less than expected (they actually look like they will be slightly higher than expected) but because the total $'s assigned to players will still exceed that 54% threshold. If Darcy and the Sabres brass assumed that the total $'s offered to players would be at the 54% threshold, I think they would have been in good company. (Hindsight is 20-20.) I would like to have seen Buffalo get at least a draft pick for him, but they didn't and it's done. For the other ones, there were issues besides the player's value in play and only Darcy and the criminals know what went down in the meetings about how the cards would be played.

Darcy has done an excellent job (IMHO) of managing minor assets. I can go down a laundry list of trades he made converting players like Barnaby and Gratton into players like Barnes and Briere. The Sabres are not in a position where they can throw assets like Zigomanis and Heisten (who look like a potential bust and a bonafide bust) away, much less players that have actually played in the NHL.

Campbell has showed some improvement for this season, and he is a fairly good 7th defensman. as far as pyatt goes he is a waste of space, so why not waiver him down? there are reasons, like who would you prefer, peters or pyatt? i'd take pyatt, at least his somewhat sound in his own zone, if a bust and a softy.

I think the Pyatt and Campbell experiments should come to and end. Campbell hasn't become the offensive player they hoped and is still shakey in his own zone. Pyatt doesn't seem to be able to skate well enough to make a difference in the "new" NHL. He can play the body but the need for his type of player has come and gone. If he had just a little skill, it might have worked out but he doesn't and it hasn't.

I think the Pyatt and Campbell experiments should come to and end. Campbell hasn't become the offensive player they hoped and is still shakey in his own zone. Pyatt doesn't seem to be able to skate well enough to make a difference in the "new" NHL. He can play the body but the need for his type of player has come and gone. If he had just a little skill, it might have worked out but he doesn't and it hasn't.

fair comment, got to agree with that.

Archived