"Buffalo" mentality

inkman

Howard Simon, while not a native, has this overriding sentiment that can best be summed up by "shoulda, coulda, woulda". Reading a lot of the posts in this forum, I get the same feeling about the Stanley Cup Finals. I don't really understand this sentiment. The minute the Sabres were eliminated, I let it go. I'm not harping on how Buffalo could be in the finals playing against Conklin. I'm not complaining about stupid rules about shooting the puck over the glass. I'm not complaining about how the Canes fans deserve the cup "less" than we do.

Maybe living in Rochester, I don't have this harping quality ingrained into my soul. I NEED to let it go. I can't relive the past because it is not going to change anything. It's over. See ya, bye bye. Now let's think about next year. :)

Maybe living in Rochester, I don't have this harping quality ingrained into my soul. I NEED to let it go. I can't relive the past because it is not going to change anything. It's over. See ya, bye bye. Now let's think about next year. :)

Maybe it is because we, at least, have a coupla' Calder Cup Trophies to our name here in Rochester. :blush:

And, remember, last year's Amerks team, as great as they were, fell short against Manitoba in the Calder Cup Finals. I always thought that might have been some foreshadowing on Buffalo's run this year given all of the Amerks that played in the ECF's.

I think it's No Goal (and the one before that) and 4 non-Super-Bowl championships. That's alot of disappointment right there. So close but...

Hard to overcome that kinda thing.

How does talking about the Carolina series less than a week after constitue a 'Buffalo mentality?'

We're going to be talking about this rash of injuries for years to come, mostly because it was so freakish.

Most folks here are pretty upbeat and are looking forward to the offseason events, but I think we're entitled to scratch our heads every once and a while and say, 'what the heck just happened.'

I think it's No Goal (and the one before that) and 4 non-Super-Bowl championships. That's alot of disappointment right there. So close but...

Hard to overcome that kinda thing.

If I don't overcome it, I get angry and need to vent. Too many bad memories and situations. The split second Hull scored the goal, I turned the channel on the TV, IN THE BAR. If I had watched anymore, I would have started throwing things or punching things. I didn't even know there was a controversy about the goal for two weeks because I sheltered myself from all radio/TV that had anything to do with the Sabres. I guess it's just how I deal with things.

Beating a dead horse is what we do. Any day of the week you can still bring up SBXXV with a total stranger and start breaking down play after play that lead to failure. Everyone has their take on why we lost and most are willing to talk about it at the drop of a hat.

We would probably talk about the championships too, BUT WE DON'T HAVE ANY!!!! (Lacrosse doesn't count either because NO ONE cares.)

When we actually do someday have a winner it will be interesting to see how we react. Will it be "We are champs!" or "So what, we got lucky." I would love to announce the first one someday just to see how it feels. It does look like fun. I wonder.......

Sounds like you have succumb to the "Cubbie Syndrome"... ie: "Always Next Year."

If you let it go... Management will not need to put a winner on the ice/field. Why would they? The stands get filled.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease... You see what is happening in Carolina, they don't sell out and still get rewarded with a winner, and they complained about it too!

Complain! Don't let it go!

Why be a friggan Cub type franchise?...

Sounds like you have succumb to the "Cubbie Syndrome"... ie: "Always Next Year."

If you let it go... Management will not need to put a winner on the ice/field. Why would they? The stands get filled.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease... You see what is happening in Carolina, they don't sell out and still get rewarded with a winner, and they complained about it too!

Complain! Don't let it go!

Why be a friggan Cub type franchise?...

I don't disagree with what you are saying. We all should want mgmt to put the best team out there, but bitching about the last series isn't going to accomplish that. Trying to figure out if our forwards would score against Edmonton's D isn't going to help either, but this is what I heard Simon doing.

Speculating about what Darcy should do in the offseason should be the directon we are headed. Convoluting dream scenarios and what-ifs is weird and a waste of time. :blink:

Archived