Miller article in USA Today

Two or less

Rookie goaltender Miller helps Sabres to fast start

By Kevin Allen, USA TODAY

In a modern sports world where fans look for microwave-quick prospect development, the prevailing wisdom in the NHL is that goaltenders must still be aged and simmered until perfection.

While much of the rookie attention is being placed on some of the outstanding 18-, 19- and 20-year olds, the rookie who might be having the biggest impact on his team is Buffalo Sabres' 25-year-old goalie Ryan Miller. Four years after winning the Hobey Baker Trophy as college hockey's best player, Miller has been a major factor in the Sabres' best start in almost 30 years.

"We just have to understand that it takes longer to develop a goalie because it's such a difficult position," said Buffalo general manager Darcy Regier. "There are only 60 of those guys and only 30 starters. By contrast there are 180 defensemen and 360 forwards in the league. The maturation process is slower. Goalies just have so many other factors that other positions don't have."

With the NHL not in session because of the lockout in 2004-05, Miller was able to play his third season in the American Hockey League.

"My goal this season was just to make the (Buffalo) team," Miller said. "I didn't worry in what capacity. I just wanted to prove that I can play at this level."

He has proved that with a 6-2 record, 2.70 goals-against average and .914 save percentage. It's early, for the time being, he has ousted incumbent Martin Biron as No. 1. The Sabres also have Finnish-born Mika Noronen. Although a trade of a goalie is a possible remedy to clear up the overcrowding, Regier points out that because only 10% of the league schedule has been played, he still views the team's goaltending situation as "a work in progress."

Rest of article: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/...24-miller_x.htm

Good to see Miller get some national attention. He is really playing well right now, and, based on the games played in the "new nhl" he is the best US goalie. I think DiPietro still has an edge on him, but if he keeps this up, no way Miller will not be starting in Italy.....

definatly showing up a lot of people... he's been outstanding... lets hope he keeps this up. i know alot of my friends are asking where he came from and how we got him... there defiantly giveing respect... and there all leaf fans oddly enough.

Archived