msgnetwork.com adds Sabres

Two or less

About time. See what winning does for a team? lol

www.msgnetwork.com has added a page for the Buffalo Sabres, and Rick Jeanneret has his own column! Pretty cool, i bet you they will have atleast Jim Lortenz or Danny Gare also writing for the site in no time.

But definetly cool to see another source for Sabres news.

I have a dumb question, since I live in NH and watch the Sabres on Center Ice: How does MSG show Sabres games whne the are also the network for the Rangers, and maybe other NYC area teams? Do they split the network into regional feeds? They're supposed to do 72 Sabres games, right? What happens when the play the Rangers, do the give Jenneret the nioght off and show the Rangers feed only? Just wondering.

PTR

On DirecTV, there is an alternate feed that the 2nd MSG signal is shown on in WNY. It is typically on 627 (the regular MSG is 621).

For local cable providers in WNY, it is my understanding that the alternate feed is shown on the regular MSG.

For games between NYR & Sabres, people in WNY will get the Rick & Jim feed.

MSG's website shows which games are broadcast where.

Also, its 74 games, not 72.

On DirecTV, there is an alternate feed that the 2nd MSG signal is shown on in WNY. It is typically on 627 (the regular MSG is 621).

For local cable providers in WNY, it is my understanding that the alternate feed is shown on the regular MSG.

For games between NYR & Sabres, people in WNY will get the Rick & Jim feed.

MSG's website shows which games are broadcast where.

Also, its 74 games, not 72.

Thanks for the info. I guess that means the Sabres are not seen in NYC ever, even when the other teams are off.

I wonder if MSG2, if you want to call it that, would ever consider growing into a replacement for Empire, providing more local sports coverage besides the Sabres? Imagine adding Bandits games, UB, Canisius, St. Bonaventure and Niagara basketball, RIT and Niagara hockey. They really is plenty of sports in WNY to fill a regional sports network.

PTR

Guest Guest_Briere48
Thanks for the info. I guess that means the Sabres are not seen in NYC ever, even when the other teams are off.

I wonder if MSG2, if you want to call it that, would ever consider growing into a replacement for Empire, providing more local sports coverage besides the Sabres? Imagine adding Bandits games, UB, Canisius, St. Bonaventure and Niagara basketball, RIT and Niagara hockey. They really is plenty of sports in WNY to fill a regional sports network.

PTR

We need a regional sports channel for sure.

Esspicially with RIT playing D1 hockey now and hopefully Rochester Rhinos moving to MLS in a year or two?

Thanks for the info.  I guess that means the Sabres are not seen in NYC ever, even when the other teams are off.

I wonder if MSG2, if you want to call it that, would ever consider growing into a replacement for Empire, providing more local sports coverage besides the Sabres?  Imagine adding Bandits games, UB, Canisius, St. Bonaventure and Niagara basketball, RIT and Niagara hockey. They really is plenty of sports in WNY to fill a regional sports network.

PTR

As near as I can tell, unless someone has Center Ice or they are playing against a local market team, the Sabres aren't seen anywhere outside of WNY ever.

I would doubt very much that MSG would have an interest in growing a new Empire as all their studios and focus are NYC based.

I would not be surprised however to see a Fox Sports Buffalo develop 2-5 years down the road. It would allow them to start up with limited local programming and provide a local outlet for their existing national shows.

I would expect any "replacement" Empire to continue to focus on Sabres and Bills w/ a "Sports Report" covering the college / high school / minor pro teams in WNY. I would doubt to see much direct coverage of the other stuff as revenues from advertisements probably would not cover the production costs (that's a guess on my part, I don't know what costs would be for equipment and "talent" to broadcast a Canisius / RIT hockey game).

Archived