Open Practices

Sabresince70

First, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. The rain really limited things, but, OH, did we find something nice for the kids....

The sabres open practice on Sat. morning was great! The kids get close to the players (mine made signs for their favorites and came away with signatures and a puck) and it really made the game that night special for them.

Older fans can watch a practice and (maybe) see why certain decisions are made. One thing that really stuck out was Kotalik practicing the point - and seeing it work about 8 hours later! Grier was the first one on the ice (about 5 min. before anyone else) and one of the last players (except for the scratches and Biron) to leave. You may not notice him much during a game, but he seems to do his role very well.

And after practice we used a suggestion that quite a few of you gave and ate at Chef's! (side note, I even had to switch seats with my 8 year old daughter - she has a crush on Peter's since he looked at her at the practice, and was sitting a few tables away) and you were right. The girls had a good time trying to name the players who were eating there. (and the sausage parm. sandwich was phenominal).

And since as many of you, I disagree with Darcy and some of his moves, I feel it is only fair to say that on our way to the car after practice we saw him and he was very nice. Walked over, talked to the girls, signed her "sign" that she had made etc... thanks again for all your suggestions - we had a ball. Enough that I think we'll skip the falls again next year and stay in Buffalo.

If you have children - or just want to show someone hockey to get them interested, taking in a practice (game day skate) and then the game is great - My wife liked it more than the game! My 8 yr old never paid as much attention as she did this time. She could relate to them much more after seeing them up close.

Thanks again, Dan

Remember in the late 70s when every game was sold out and they'd have an open practice on a Saturday and pack the Aud? ... my parents must have taken us 3 or 4 times because we couldn't go to games ... great times ... and they gave out those jerseys with the Western Savings Bank logo on the sleeve ...

Wish I did. I have always lived about 450 miles away (Allentown, Pa). Became a Sabres fan because I couldn't stand anything from Philly - Live 70 miles from Philly and my hometown paper acts like they are in my back yard! Saw #11 on TV in his rookie year (I think on a NY station, but may have been a national network game) and fell in love with the blue and gold. Then, when they became the NHL affiliate of Hershey -where my family is from- I got to see all the future Sabres. Donny Edwards will always be my favorite. Hershey is about 70 miles from Allentown and I used to go every Wed. and Sat. My 10 yr old daughter started playing a few years back and chooses a hockey game every year for her birthday (we tried a philly/Buf game for her a few years back, but since she wore her Sabres jersey we was ridiculed by the flyer fans the entire game. At least she'll never question why I don't root for them). I take the whole family every year to a Buffalo game up there, but we usually stay in Canada - I always thought my wife would like to visit the falls as much as I like the game- but we thought it would be better not to take that kind of time off for the kids schooling as they get older.

By the way, this is for all the Sabres fans on here that live in Buffalo, you show the most class I have ever seen at games. I'v gone to games in N.j and N.Y. and while they were better than the fans in Philly, they stillmake you feel like you have no right to root for the visiting team. On Sat. we sat behind five or six Ranger fans, and within our section their must have been a dozen more, and no one made any negative comment to or worse (as my daughter found in Philly) no cursing was directed at those fans. You all should be very proud of your classy behavior. I have never had a bad experience in your city. (OK, main st. being torn up was a bit of a hassle...

Remember in the late 70s when every game was sold out and they'd have an open practice on a Saturday and pack the Aud? ... my parents must have taken us 3 or 4 times because we couldn't go to games ... great times ... and they gave out those jerseys with the Western Savings Bank logo on the sleeve ...

For several years I considered that open practice the highlight of Christmas break from school. I remember how the scrimmage used to always have to be "settled" by a penalty shot.

Archived