Rookie of the Year

BetweenThePipes00

Check this out ...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10453&hubname=

I kind of forgot Miller is still technically a rookie ... everyone talking about Vanek, but Miller might be the only one who can challenge Crosby and Ovechkin ... Even if Vanek has a great year he is unlikely to put up the raw numbers of those two, they are for real ... but if Miller wins a ton of games maybe he gets some votes ... Not saying he deserves the Calder, just that he is the Sabres best rookie right now ...

I don't know ... lots of hockey writers and GMs from Canada ... if you know what I am sayin .... ;)

You may be right, but I'd like to think those voters will have a bit more integrity than that.

I know it was 25 years ago, but they did give Statsny the Calder instead of Bourque. (They promptly changed the rules on what constitutes a "rookie season", but they did give it to the best player that met the criterion, not their favorite.)

Check this out ...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10453&hubname=

I kind of forgot Miller is still technically a rookie ... everyone talking about Vanek, but Miller might be the only one who can challenge Crosby and Ovechkin ... Even if Vanek has a great year he is unlikely to put up the raw numbers of those two, they are for real ... but if Miller wins a ton of games maybe he gets some votes ... Not saying he deserves the Calder, just that he is the Sabres best rookie right now ...

Doesn't he need like 1 more win to break Eddie Belfour's rookie record of most wins by a rookie in the month of October? I know it's kinda pointless record, but it's something though!!!

I didn't read it anywhere, two buddies of mine told me.

Doesn't he need like 1 more win to break Eddie Belfour's rookie record of most wins by a rookie in the month of October? I know it's kinda pointless record, but it's something though!!!

I didn't read it anywhere, two buddies of mine told me.

for the sabres, any type of positive record for the month of october is SOMETHING. They still have 3 games left in october, so hopefully miller will get at least another victory... I do see biron starting a game very soon though.

for the sabres, any type of positive record for the month of october is SOMETHING. They still have 3 games left in october, so hopefully miller will get at least another victory... I do see biron starting a game very soon though.

if i had to guess, i'd say the Devils game, next friday.

I think Ruff wants Miller in goal to face Miro Satan and Zhitnik, no more fluky goals this time around!

i like the fact that buffalo are the only team with two rookies in that list, as Vanek is there as well.

Miller is the forgotten rookie, and has a shot of nearing to the calder. i should imagine he will break Eddie's record, but its not for certain, two out of three games are away games. Devils and NYI.

I don't think Miller will get serious run for the Calder because his GAA and Save% numbers aren't out of this world good.

Crosby and Ovechkin will put up big enough offensive numbers that they'll end up 1-2 in the Calder voting barring any long term injuries.

I don't think Miller will get serious run for the Calder because his GAA and Save% numbers aren't out of this world good.

Crosby and Ovechkin will put up big enough offensive numbers that they'll end up 1-2 in the Calder voting barring any long term injuries.

If Crosby and Ovechkin put up a number duel all year, Miller might be able to squeak in there if he keeps his win total near the top in the NHL. It could be one of those situations where the two forwards cost each other votes.

Nobody from Buffalo will finish top 3. The Media hype surrounding the other guys (playing in big markets) will far surpass anything that happens on the ice. Crosby is the exception (to the big market theory) but the NHL has hung their hat on him and will make sure he's at or near the top of the voting.

Nobody from Buffalo will finish top 3. The Media hype surrounding the other guys (playing in big markets) will far surpass anything that happens on the ice. Crosby is the exception (to the big market theory) but the NHL has hung their hat on him and will make sure he's at or near the top of the voting.

as iv said before, i do agree, tho i think in real terms (the same real terms that meant kotalik should have had a shot at the calder in his rookie season) we have two good rookies with good chances.

IF Miller stays near the top of the wins list, he'll get consideration.  He's the future of American goalies.  The NHL would stand to gain something with him.

Agreed.

Also, if Vanek ends up putting a decent # of pucks in the net, he will get consideration providing the Sabres also remain contenders.

Referring back to a previous post, Kotalik got little to no attention because he played for a small market team that missed the playoffs and was basically in receivership and he was an unheralded European rookie. He faced the perfect storm of indifference and could not overcome it.

IF Miller stays near the top of the wins list, he'll get consideration. He's the future of American goalies. The NHL would stand to gain something with him.

Wins aren't a sexy enough stat for Miller to get a load of Calder support merely on that stat alone.

If this weren't a year with a ton of solid rookies, then a goalie might be able to get some serious run based merely on wins. But, this isn't a year where that will happen.

Wins aren't a sexy enough stat for Miller to get a load of Calder support merely on that stat alone.

Agreed that wins alone won't get him there. With the style the Sabres play, in order for him to get the wins, he will also have a very good - excellent save percentage. That WILL get him support.

If this weren't a year with a ton of solid rookies, then a goalie might be able to get some serious run based merely on wins. But, this isn't a year where that will happen.

Hypothetical, say he leads the league in wins. You don't think that would open a lot of eyes? It's probably not the best comparison, but Roger Clemens won his last Cy Young in the AL based completely on wins. If Crosby and Ovechkin put up very similar numbers and Miller has a big year, which one stand out in that group?

Hypothetical, say he leads the league in wins. You don't think that would open a lot of eyes? It's probably not the best comparison, but Roger Clemens won his last Cy Young in the AL based completely on wins. If Crosby and Ovechkin put up very similar numbers and Miller has a big year, which one stand out in that group?

Even IF Miller led the league in wins, I don't think he'd get a lot of Calder run unless his GAA and Save% numbers were top 5 overall as well.

Right now his GAA and Save% are good, but not great. Most voters would likely say that his wins were "team stats" and not just his if "his" stats were merely OK.

If Miller were to lead the league in wins, then he certainly would get some run for the Calder. And he probably would be a top 3 votegetter. But, I also think that Crosby and Ovechkin would end up 1-2 in the event that all 3 guys were healthy all year, Crosby and Ovechkin continue to put up the big offensive numbers, and Miller's main stat is wins and not GAA and Save%.

Now if Miller starts putting up a bunch of SOs and his GAA comes down and his Save% goes up, then I think his Calder chances will get a big boost.

Now if Miller starts putting up a bunch of SOs and his GAA comes down and his Save% goes up, then I think his Calder chances will get a big boost.

Have to agree.

I think it's gonna take some time for the NHL to acknowledge the fact that a GAA of 2.70 and a SV% of 0.915 is pretty good, in the "new NHL".

Have to agree.

I think it's gonna take some time for the NHL to acknowledge the fact that a GAA of 2.70 and a SV% of 0.915 is pretty good, in the "new NHL".

It's not that great.

Ryan Miller is 15th in GAA, 13th in Save%, and T-9th in SOs.

His best stats are Total Shots Against (4th), Saves (5th), and Wins (T-3rd).

To get a lot of Calder run, I'm guessing the GAA, Save%, and SO rankings are going to have to get up into the 5th to 8th range.

As a comparison, Crosby is T-8th in the NHL in scoring and T-4th in assists.

Ovechkin is T-22nd in points and T-8th in goals. But, Ovechkin's best stat is that he has 10 points and the Capitals have scored only 19 goals. That means that Ovechkin has been in on 53% of the Caps' goals so far this season.

Crosby has been in on 46% of the Pens' goals.

Archived