Attendence for Oct. 22nd

Two or less

Will we get over 16,000?

I was looking on sabres.com and tons of tickets remain. Attendence has been dissapointing, but theres always excuses for bad attendence.

However, if we don't get a real nice crowd for tomorrow, it'll be VERY disappointing. It's a Saturday Night game, it's a UB student discount night, it's a Pizza Hut night AND it's Canadian at par night.

If we can't get 16000 fans tomorrow i will seriously start to wonder about the future of our club.

I think attendance tomorrow will be the highest so far this season. However, if it's low again I wouldn't worry too much. This team isn't going anywhere. People will come sooner than later. We're still in the midst of Bills season but if the Sabs keep winning, people will start to notice and attend. Buffalo always responds to a winner.

Also let's not forget that somehow Bills season ticket sales went UP this season ... I know they expected to be pretty good, but I have to believe part of that was because no one knew if there was going to be hockey or if the Sabres would suck if there was hockey ... only so much money to spend and people decided to spend it ... I think it will get better as the season goes on ...

Will we get over 16,000?

I was looking on sabres.com and tons of tickets remain. Attendence has been dissapointing, but theres always excuses for bad attendence.

However, if we don't get a real nice crowd for tomorrow, it'll be VERY disappointing. It's a Saturday Night game, it's a UB student discount night, it's a Pizza Hut night AND it's Canadian at par night.

If we can't get 16000 fans tomorrow i will seriously start to wonder about the future of our club.

It's also a silver game, so window prices are $11 - $40 cheaper than for the Pens game. Still $10-$26 more expensive than "value games", but I don't expect price to be as much of a factor if the attendence is low again. (The 1st 2 games were also Silvers; Ottawa on Wed 11/2 is the 1st Bronze game.)

As others posted, IF the attendence is low; I'd chalk it up to it being Bills season and people already having spent/budgeted their October / November entertainment $'s as they didn't know what to expect from the Sabres (or even if there'd be hockey at this point). I won't worry about the team pulling up stakes. (If it's February, the Sabres are playing as they are, and people STILL aren't coming; THEN I'll worry.)

The Bruins had a little over 14,000 for their Sabres game.  No one is talking about moving the Bruins.

PTR

They also had half price tickets in the upper bowl for students. That's how I got in (even though I graduated two years ago). Of course, it was a Thursday night. That definitely hurts ticket sales (probably the main reason that every Thursday is a student night at Bruins games).

Seems to me that Sabres season really doesn't begin around here until December or January, when the Bills are finished (or eliminated from playoff consideration). If we keep up our winning ways (and the Bills keep up their mediocrity), I think we'll pack the place beginning Thanksgiving, and get 15,000+ every game thereafter...if we don't, the WNY economy is worse than I thought...

Nobody is worried about the Bruins moving b/c the owner of the team owns the building! And it's freaking Boston - TV market and all.

You can't be worried about moving the Sabers now, ownership is stable and the season is young. That being said...I think that it does say something about the Buffalo market if we can't support to Sabres just becuase of the Bills...maybe Buffalo is a one sport town.

The Bills only play 10 games a year at home...and the prices are dirt cheap versus the rest of the league. Plus if we are such a great sports town than none of that should matter.

All right ... I'm all for looking at the team with a critical eye and not looking at things with rose colored glasses, but can we give it more than 3 home dates in October before we declare the city unfit for two pro sports teams? They averaged more than 15,200 the last full season they played with higher ticket prices and a team that got off to a horrible start and missed the playoffs ... there's no reason to suggest they will not get to that level again and beyond if they stay in the playoff mix.

I don't know, just seems counter-productive to complain about the crowds at this point. Not sure why this bugs me ...

All right ... I'm all for looking at the team with a critical eye and not looking at things with rose colored glasses, but can we give it more than 3 home dates in October before we declare the city unfit for two pro sports teams? They averaged more than 15,200 the last full season they played with higher ticket prices and a team that got off to a horrible start and missed the playoffs ... there's no reason to suggest they will not get to that level again and beyond if they stay in the playoff mix.

I don't know, just seems counter-productive to complain about the crowds at this point. Not sure why this bugs me ...

I posted this before. I think there is so much more the Sabres could be doing.

This may sound corny. OK it is corny.

How about giving away 2,500 tickets to single women for a 'Ladies Night'. Single guys would sell out the rest of the tickets. Then you would have a full house spending $7.50 on a beer. Maybe even pass out condoms wrapped like hockey pucks :lol:

I agree, I think all NHL teams should be trying any wacky thing that they can as if they were minor league baseball at this point. I just don't want to kill any excitement with a "eh, the crowds suck, let's not go to the game" vibe.

The truth is the truth.

Fans call out players all the time. What's wrong with calling out fans? You can see the Sabres for the price of 4 Burger King value meals.

This is either a hockey town or not. Tommy G. stepped up and signed the check. The Players stepped up to a tune of a 5-2 record. Their playing the top scorer in the league in Jagr and a team that they need to beat for playoff spot. It's time for the Sabres fans to step up.

That's all we are saying. Step up to the ticket window and say "I'm a fan. I'll take one".

Peace ;)

I think I will go to a few ... I just moved here summer of 2004 and obviously there was no season last year ... so this is pretty much my first chance ... so far they seem to have played home games the same nights the Sabres are on Center Ice ... but not Tuesday. I hope to get to a game in Buffalo over the holidays also, but definitely let me know when you are back in town.

Will do. I like to hit eddies place across the street from the GEC before the game. I forget the name of it right now but theres a blues club on 2nd I like to go to after. Too bad the Sabres dont come to town this year :-( I'll shoot you an email when I'm going to a preds game, wont be until early Jan though.

The truth is the truth.

Fans call out players all the time. What's wrong with calling out fans? You can see the Sabres for the price of 4 Burger King value meals.

This is either a hockey town or not. Tommy G. stepped up and signed the check. The Players stepped up to a tune of a 5-2 record. Their playing the top scorer in the league in Jagr and a team that they need to beat for playoff spot. It's time for the Sabres fans to step up. 

That's all we are saying. Step up to the ticket window and say "I'm a fan. I'll take one".

Peace ;)

H*ll yes. Call them out.

The thing is, you have to remember, you are starting from ground zero or from below ground zero due to the lockout. People not showing up in October this year, while it is annoying, is not terribly troubling. (As I said previously, if they don't show up in February; that is when the Sabres have a problem.) As the Sabres keep playing well and the league keeps playing at a playoff level pace IN OCTOBER, fans will come back. A lot of people already had their entertainment $'s spent/budgeted before they realized that SABRES HOCKEY IS BACK!

Another part of the reason fans aren't back yet (IMHO) is because a lot of fans did not see the Sabres making a lot of moves this off-season. They didn't think that the reason was because the Sabres already had a pretty good team and had more players signed than many others; they just assumed it was more of the same old - same old Rigas penny pinch. Rigas no longer owns the team, he is in jail; and the Sabres were one of the few teams that had a full roster essentially signed before the season started.

This IS a hockey town. The last time the Sabres had a consistantly exciting team, the rink was sold out for about 7 years straight.

Archived