Random Thoughts From Tonight's Game

PTS

1. I said before this road trip that if Buffalo wins 2 of 3, they would be for real. I think this team is for real.

2. Speaking about for real, Daniel Briere is the best Sabre since Pat LaFontaine. The guy is dangerous every time he touches the puck.

3. Vanek and Drury (Empty Net Miss - Are You Kidding Me???) are cursed right now.

4. Despite scoring two PP goals, the power play is still horrendous.

5. Who's girlfriend did Brad Isbister sleep with? That guy was getting hit every time he touched the puck.

6. Bruins jerseys suck as did the camera men again tonight.

7. I thought the officiating was selective tonight, missing some obvious interference calls.

As I said in another thread, somehow they keep winning games, especially division games, with the PP struggling and Vanek and Drury still not scoring... and it's not like Miller is stealing games, although he is playing well ...all things considered, i am not complaining about a 5-2 start ...

I am traveling and didnt see the game, and just logged into the audio with 5 min to go. how did miller play?

are vanek and drury adding in other phases?

Miller played a good game. He was completely blinded on the last goal.

Drury wins every face-off he takes. Both him and Vanek are playing well but just can't score.

I only saw the first and third periods. Miller kept them in it during the first. The Swordsmen really took it to the B's and dominated the third.

I thought Vanek looked horrible on his first period break. Drury, on the other hand, was simply robbed in the third.

I like the way the Sabres look so far. They are fun to watch, playing good, not great, hockey and deserve the record they have. Anytime you pick up 4 out of 6 points on the road, and beat a division foe on the road you must be satisfied. Of course the late goal in Miami was a disappointment.

Vanek had 2 assists and must have done something right because apparently he was named the #1 star ... Drury was the #3 star ... Beantown homer pick? maybe ... but whatever ... here is the link from NHL.com with the stars listed ...

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20052006/GS020098.HTM

Vanek made REAL nice play on 1st goal to keep the puck in the zone and get it over to Briere. Vanek could have had about 4 goals tonight. On the breakaway, he had to come in at a bad angle as he picked it up at the top of the lw faceoff circle.

Drury had the Carubba collision for a hit on Gill. Other than not scoring, played a very strong game.

Except for one tremendous brainfart, Connolly played a good game. The brainfart led to a rinklong breakaway (I think for Axelsson). Miller stayed with it and beat him clean.

Miller absolutely robbed Bergeron on the pp in the 1st.

I thought Lydman looked a lot better out there tonight than earlier in the season.

I also was impressed with the way they played on the penalty kill (even though the 1st goal against was on pp).

Ruff has them playing a game very well suited for the new enforcement of the old rules.

Has anyone else noticed how these games all seem to have a playoff feel to them? I've been very impressed with the "new" NHL.

Vanek made REAL nice play on 1st goal to keep the puck in the zone and get it over to Briere. Vanek could have had about 4 goals tonight. On the breakaway, he had to come in at a bad angle as he picked it up at the top of the lw faceoff circle.

Drury had the Carubba collision for a hit on Gill. Other than not scoring, played a very strong game.

Except for one tremendous brainfart, Connolly played a good game. The brainfart led to a rinklong breakaway (I think for Axelsson). Miller stayed with it and beat him clean.

Miller absolutely robbed Bergeron on the pp in the 1st.

I thought Lydman looked a lot better out there tonight than earlier in the season.

I also was impressed with the way they played on the penalty kill (even though the 1st goal against was on pp).

Ruff has them playing a game very well suited for the new enforcement of the old rules.

Has anyone else noticed how these games all seem to have a playoff feel to them? I've been very impressed with the "new" NHL.

I can't decide whether it is the new rule enforcement, a season off, or a 5-2 record but this has been alot of fun to watch so far.

I listened to the 2nd half of the game. Ryan Miller saved Timmy's buttocks at the end of the 2nd, or the B's are up 3-2 going into the 2nd intermission.

Vanek will eventually get a big time garbage goal and that will break the damn and then watch out !! Chris Drury is more to this team than goals & assists, he to will eventually get on the score sheet and things will even out. He's a career 20 goal a season scorer and I don't see this year being much different. Yeah he only had 18 last season for the Sabres but he also missed some games with an injury.

Good thing they play the B's 8 times this year, we can at least count on Kotalik to score in those games. 2 game vs Boston = 2 goals for Ales, and tonights was the game winner.

The power play may not be the best ever, but you have to start some where and 2 against Boston is a nice way to break the PP open.

Alot has been said about Paul Gaustad so far and let me add my .02$, this kid is killer. Can you imagine being a rookie that gets thrown out against Joe Thornton more shifts than not ? Then to not only hold your own against Joey T, but to play well against him in both games so far this year. This young man has a great future and I HOPE that it is in a Sabres jersey for a long long time.

I can't wait until November 25th, the family and I are taking a trip up to Buffalo to cheer on the Sabres against those hated Habs.

I saw the Rangers game the other night, the first one against the Islanders, and they skate fast and play a good game. It should be fasted paced and high scoring. They played the Islanders like it was playoff hockey, however I didn't see the game tonight that the rangers played. I can't wait to finally watch a Sabres game on tv I hope they show it in Jersey.

I hadn't seen his name mentioned yet, but I thought Connely stepped up his game a bit as well. He didn't take over the game by any means, but for a few shifts he was playing as well as I've ever seen him.

As was mentioned, the Sabres just might be the real deal this season. Kudos to Sabres brass for trusting in their plan, because these guys are thriving under the new NHL.

As I said in another thread, somehow they keep winning games, especially division games, with the PP struggling and Vanek and Drury still not scoring... and it's not like Miller is stealing games, although he is playing well ...all things considered, i am not complaining about a 5-2 start ...

i think its briere stealing games at this point haha... don't worry those guys will come in... and when they do it will only help to supplement brieres talent... to be doing as well as we are now with those guys in a low.... im pretty damn happy. time to get a name on my red sabre jersey... and it might just be briere.... ;)

A couple quick points:

Vanek came in at a wierd angle on the break away. That helped out Raycroft a lot on that one.

Afinogenov's pass on the Connolly goal was a thing of beauty. Even the Boston fans sitting around me were in awe of that one.

Nothing too spectacular from Miller but it was another solid game. It seems like that's all it takes to get the job done with this team.

Drury's missed open net was no gimmie. He had a defenseman between him and the net and had to take a longer shot than he'd like. Anything that would've gone in the net probably would've been blocked.

There is nothing better than walking watching your team win in the other team's rink. I got a death threat after the game. Drunks are so entertaining.

1. I said before this road trip that if Buffalo wins 2 of 3, they would be for real. I think this team is for real.

2. Speaking about for real, Daniel Briere is the best Sabre since Pat LaFontaine. The guy is dangerous every time he touches the puck.

3. Vanek and Drury (Empty Net Miss - Are You Kidding Me???) are cursed right now.

4. Despite scoring two PP goals, the power play is still horrendous.

5. Who's girlfriend did Brad Isbister sleep with? That guy was getting hit every time he touched the puck.

6. Bruins jerseys suck as did the camera men again tonight.

7. I thought the officiating was selective tonight, missing some obvious interference calls.

1. Oh, they are so for real. I think they see the playoffs, and even if I'm wrong, it will be fun to watch them.

2. He is the best offensive player since LaFontaine.

3. Let's hope "now" is as fleeting as it sounds.

4. Scary that the 5-on-4 is much better than the 5-on-3. The Sabs' power play sux.

5. Hope she was good.

6. The jerseys are out of some Danish beer league, I think.

7. We're not allowed to complain about officials right now, given the overall PP swing towards the Sabs. Save it for when a player is in the crease, or when a goal goes in through the side netting.

8. Oh. That was it. Great post, man!

That helped out Raycroft a lot on that one.

Toivonen.

My $0.02. I really like this team, but they can still address the weak spots. The defense still looks soft, at best, at times, esspicially Lydman. I like Lydman, but theres times where he just looks lazy and gives up. We definetly need some fresh blood on defense though, Fitzpatrick and Tallinder seem they are hanging onto their lifes by making desperate saves.

The offense is really good, but imagine how good it will be when Vanek and Drury actually wake up. Vanek has been a threat, but his shots arn't going in yet, and Drury, besides faceoffs and the penalty kill, has been nowhere.

If this team gets those 2 guys going and a Kotalik or Afinogenov, then this team will definetly make the playoffs easily IMO.

And nothing but good stuff from Miller, i could not say anything better about the guy, he's done more then i expected.

Drury wins every face-off he takes. Both him and Vanek are playing well but just can't score.

Drury was 14 wins and 14 loses on face offs tonight. Just for the record ;)

Seven games in and Vanek is scoreless and Drury a non factor in the offensive zone? Who would think 5-2 would be possible?

Yeah but their playing good hockey though. Drury has been playing good in his own zone, the PK and good at winning faceoffs. Vanek, even though he has yet to score, always is a threat, doesn't he even led us in shots? He has 6 assists and is a very creative player.

But i agree, we'll be so much better once Drury and Vanek start to light the lamp.

Seven games in and Vanek is scoreless and Drury a non factor in the offensive zone? Who would think 5-2 would be possible?

I'm surprised you came out from your cave to post on the game thread talking about a win!

You usually like to wallow in the misery of others. Looks like it might be a rough season for you!

indeed...it's AWESOME isn't it?!

isn't it? ;)

the only thing that would make it better would be if we had signed peter bondra (or maybe a good defenseman)!

I'm surprised you came out from your cave to post on the game thread talking about a win!

You usually like to wallow in the misery of others. Looks like it might be a rough season for you!

You should try reading ALL the posts. If you did you would I have posted on game threads giving credit when do but always keeping centered. It's only seven games and there have been good signs. Let's see what happens as players go into and out of slumps and injuries start to pop up.

Do us a favor and keep the personal attacks at a minimum. This is supposed to be a thread about the Sabres and the game, not Deluca.

Deluca was in the majority as most hockey people thought this was going to be a tough year for the Swordsmen. So far they are wrong, but it is still October. If the officials put the whistle away, I suspect Deluca and the rest would be right.

He is a Sabres fan who is probably pleasantly surprised.

If you are honest with yourself, you didn't think they look this good either.

Is that OK? Would it be a disapointment if Vanek turned into more of a play maker then scorer? I would how some would react?

I don't think there is any question that he has had an impact on the win - loss column. In the end, that is what I care about...

Archived