The latest hot air from Jeremy Roenick

PuckBunnies Anonymous

Roenick is still complaining about the labor agreement.

"The owners can sit there and do giveaways and lower ticket prices to get the fans back to the game knowing that what they are really doing is taking it out of our pockets," Roenick said. "It's important to get people back into the arenas to watch hockey, but it is a lot easier to do when [the owners] know they still get money back because they are taking it out of our paycheck. In essence, the players are paying for all the giveaways and free stuff that the owners are doing. Which is all well and good, but you don't hear about it."

LA Times (free reg. req.)

he does get annoying but I also see his point ... not only do they get to take some money back from the players this season, but the salary cap could actually go DOWN next season if revenues are low ... but the players went into this with their eyes open, if they didn't think the owners were going to do a lot of this kind of thing, regardless of their motives, they didn't think it through very far.

I can't help but find it hard to sympathize with the players, when guys like Holik were making 8 mill. plus a year, before the cap.

Roenick himself made 8.5 in Philly. Roenick is a heckuva player, but 8.5 million bucks??!! Please!! 4.5 is more like it.

So he's bickering about the fact that the money that would normally go into the players obnoxiously deep pockets are being spent on drawing fans back into the arenas? Fine with me JR. No fans in the seats? No million dollar salary. You do the math. Oh, I forgot - you'll just go to Europe and play for peanuts, right? Taking a roster spot from someone needing that money a lot more then you.

In other words, this guy is breaking my heart.

Poor Jeremy. If it sucks so bad you can always quit and go find a career more to your liking (that's what they say where I work). With you education and breadth of experience I'm sure you can find a job working the Frymaster, bagging groceries or pushing a broom...

Look, unless the total pie exceeds a threshold (which absolutely will not be met this year), the players get 54% of whatever revenues there are. The owners are businessmen, Roenick is not. The owners are actually trying to maximize revenues (specifically long term) by lowering seat prices and having give aways. For every extra net $ the owners bring in they get $0.46; why in the world would the owners not want to raise money? I'm sure he's thinking somehow the players' escrow money goes straight to the owners, but it doesn't.

If tickets go for say $100 and 2 people buy and spend $20 each on concessions; the owners have $240 in pocket and 2 potential repeat customers. (Assuming expenses have been covered and neglecting taxes, players get $129.60)

If tickets go for $50 and 5 people buy and each spend $20 on concessions; the owners have $350 in pocket and 5 potential repeat customers. (Same caveots, players get $189.00)

Jeremy, isn't $189 better than $129.60? ("Duh, no because the owners are getting more.")

If the rinks aren't selling out, the prices (most likely) should come down. I'm sure Jeremy never thought that someone might run some economic models to determine what prices will bring in the most revenues.

I find it funny when people knock players and granted some of the earn to much.............But I will never feel sorry for someone that owns a sports team, as Chris Rock says, they are the ones with the true wealth................. B-)

I never said I felt sorry for the owners, I'm just making it painstakingly clear that I don't feel sorry for guys like JR.

These guys are millionaires, they don't need my pity.

JR is a punk ass. He's made his millions, so he should just shut up. The players that should be concerned are the young one's who haven't made any real $ yet. This league is in huge trouble and more concessions will be made when they recalculate the revenue stream the additional 3 times. Nobody is watching or caring and they will pay for it. I love hockey but the NHL is in big trouble STILL. :unsure:

I can't help but find it hard to sympathize with the players, when guys like Holik were making 8 mill. plus a year, before the cap.

Roenick himself made 8.5 in Philly. Roenick is a heckuva player, but 8.5 million bucks??!! Please!! 4.5 is more like it.

So he's bickering about the fact that the money that would normally go into the players obnoxiously deep pockets are being spent on drawing fans back into the arenas? Fine with me JR. No fans in the seats? No million dollar salary. You do the math. Oh, I forgot - you'll just go to Europe and play for peanuts, right? Taking a roster spot from someone needing that money a lot more then you.

In other words, this guy is breaking my heart.

Well said

JR needs to retire.

Anyone see him on ESPN Sports Center's "Hot Seat"?

He totally dissed the owners and the league. He said the owners kicked their ass everyway they could, and then, kicked it some more. Then he made sarcastic comments about how them getting their butts kicked means good hockey....

IMO he needs to leave hockey, and join the broadcast booth, like Charles Barkley on TNT. Everyone loves Barkley. JR is the same way, full of opinions, always has a funny twist, and knows his stuff.

Archived