Outdoor Life Network

buftex

I live in Austin, Texas. For the third time, since the season started, I tuned in to the Outdoor Life Network (OLN) to watch some hockey. They were supposed to be showing the Rangers game. Because it part of the OLN schedule, they didn't have the game on the Center Ice package. As with the last two times, although my Time Warner Digital Cable guide showed the Rangers game (and included a re-run of the game later) the game was not on, and instead, there was some boating show on, the "OLN" logo in the top right corner of the screen. Anyone else having this problem? I was pissed because they didn't show the Sabres/Penguins game last week, and it wasn't on Center Ice either. I am wondering if OLN has different regional programming. Maybe they consider hockey strictly an east coast thing? Anyone have any insight? :angry:

I got the game last night (NYRvsFLA)and I live in Las Vegas. But I wasn't able to get the Sabres / Pitt game and was furious! So I know how you feel.

Just show the games OLN!! I don't give a rats ass about bass fishing or outdoor tent setup. Mon and Tues should have hockey as the priority. Is it that hard? Especially when they want to showcase the sport they end up dropping half of them. Real good. :angry: :blink:

OLN is holding certain cable providers and Dish Network hostage.

They won't give them the NHL games unless they put OLN on their basic package and cough up more money to OLN/Comcast.

If that is the case, and I don't doubt you, the NHL really screwed up by signing with such a small time operation. God, when it comes to hockey, I really wished I lived WNY still. I used to love Hockey Night in Canada!

I guess what really pisses me off more than anything is that if the game is on OLN, it doesn't get carried by Center Ice...

If that is the case, and I don't doubt you, the NHL really screwed up by signing with such a small time operation.  God, when it comes to hockey, I really wished I lived WNY still.  I used to love Hockey Night in Canada!

I guess what really pisses me off more than anything is that if the game is on OLN, it doesn't get carried by Center Ice...

On the plus side, the Sabres only have one more OLN game.

Never thought I'd say this, but I miss ESPN...they may have never given hockey the coverage it deserved, but at least I could watch the games on ESPN2 and see highlights on NHL2nite at 1am.

Even with digital cable, I can't get OLN on Adelphia - it's only available on their most premium tier. Not exactly worth paying that much for 2 games a week.

I'd be curious to see what % of homes have OLN - I'd assume it's less than the NHL would like. Great way to engender fan support and grow the sport - put your league on a network that thousands of fans can't watch! As they say on the Guiness commercials "Brilliant!"

Thank God for the CBC (or at least for HNIC, Neale, Cherry, etc.)

Here in Memphis I don't get the NHL on OLN. I was really pissed during the Sabres-Pens game. Once I realized what the issue was - I have Time Warner cable - I was going to cancel OLN and tell them that I was cancelling because they chose to give me "outrageous jobs" when other areas were getting the NHL. I'm not doing it because I would also lose other channels I'm not willing to give up, but if enough people did that it might get OLN's attention. I've given up trying to get Bettmann's attention - he's the clown who let the NHL sign with OLN. I'll NEVER believe the NHL didn't know this would happen.

Never thought I'd say this, but I miss ESPN...they may have never given hockey the coverage it deserved, but at least I could watch the games on ESPN2 and see highlights on NHL2nite at 1am.

Even with digital cable, I can't get OLN on Adelphia - it's only available on their most premium tier. Not exactly worth paying that much for 2 games a week.

I'd be curious to see what % of homes have OLN - I'd assume it's less than the NHL would like. Great way to engender fan support and grow the sport - put your league on a network that thousands of fans can't watch! As they say on the Guiness commercials "Brilliant!"

Thank God for the CBC (or at least for HNIC, Neale, Cherry, etc.)

I haven't checked it out yet to see if it was true or not, but Buccigross wrote in one of his columns that Thursday nights were going to be ESPN News' Hockey Night w/ extended coverage and hockey related features.

OLN is holding certain cable providers and Dish Network hostage.

They won't give them the NHL games unless they put OLN on their basic package and cough up more money to OLN/Comcast.

I keep reading that, and I keep seeing Comcast sports and OLN on my basic cable system (channels 34 &35), yet they never show a game on OLN.

Methinks there's more to it than that.

I keep reading that, and I keep seeing Comcast sports and OLN on my basic cable system (channels 34 &35), yet they never show a game on OLN. 

Methinks there's more to it than that.

Basically there is a certain percentage of subscribers (both digital and regular cable) that must have OLN via one of the lower tier packages or Comcast blacks out the NHL games in that particular market for that provider (apparently replacing them with fishing shows). The OLN website says that Cablevision and Dish Network do not get NHL games. Obviously, if your cable company doesn't show the games, Comcast is jerking them around too.

The lost 2004-5 season has really put the NHL in the tank.

We now truly look like the garage league we really are on

TV. To go from ESPN to OLN is kind of like the difference between

prime time and 4 in the morning.

It looks like public access.

The sound is terrible!!

Sometimes I have to turn the volume all the way up just to get

a little bit of sound. I take sound for granted, so this is a shocker.

For the most part the games are produced

pretty well, except the camerawork reminds me of the early

days of the Sabres. Cameras are 1-2 steps behind sometimes.

Certainly it's a big come-down from the HD, robotized cameras

along the glass and the sweeping overhead shots of ESPN.

I've never liked Clement, always thought he was over-rated Flyer homer--

maybe I still hold a grudge from '74-75. (much as I will always

hate the Dallas Stars) How did they pick his two cohorts,

Neil Smith and Keith Jones, who's got a funny looking hockey face.

None of these guys are professional broadcasters.

I do appreciate the post-game show, which picks up the slack

from Center Ice's sudden stop the second the game is over.

I like some of the commentary too. They are knowledgeable for

sure, but polish is sorely missing. Moreover, the studio production

looks amateur. The set, the lighting, the makeup....it all looks like

it's done on the cheap.

What a come-down.

Archived