out of town fans

Sabresince70

Though we will be making our 6th trip this year, it is the first time we will not be staying in N.F. Canada, and just going into Buffalo for the game. Any ideas for places to go before the game (we are coming up Friday and staying for the weekend) would be greatly appreciated.

It's my wife and 3 daughters (8 thru 12) so I guess good places for them to shop would also be welcomed.

Though we will be making our 6th trip this year, it is the first time we will not be staying in N.F. Canada, and just going into Buffalo for the game. Any ideas for places to go before the game (we are coming up Friday and staying for the weekend) would be greatly appreciated.

It's my wife and 3 daughters (8 thru 12) so I guess good places for them to shop would also be welcomed.

Well for family fun there are the usual stops:

>Albright-Knox Art Museum

>Buffalo Historical Museum (accross the lake from Albright-Knox)

>Buffalo Zoo (at Delaware Park)

>Buffalo Science Museum (at MLK Park)

In downtown Buffalo there is the Maritime Museum, right next to HSBC Arena. There is a submarine and a Destroyer class Naval ship to tour.

Get a nice view of the city from the observation deck of City Hall. Call ahead to find out hours they are open.

For shopping, the largest mall is the Galleria on Walden at the NYS Thruway. For something more offbeat, go to Allen St. just north of downtown. Lots of art galleries and boutiques. More of the same if you follow Elmwood Avenue north from Allen.

If you like flea markets, there is an enormous one every Saturday and Sunday at Super Flea on Walden between Union and Dick Rds.

That's about all can think of...anyone else have an idea?

PTR

PTR covered most of the family friendly attractions. There is also the Toy Museum in East Aurora that the kids might be interested in. (20 - 30 minutes from downtown).

As mentioned, the main shopping mall is the Galleria. The Superflea is about 1 mile down the road.

Good places to eat include the Buffalo Brew Pub on Main just off Transit which is not too far from another Mall (Eastern Hills which is on Transit). If you had boys I know they'd love it as you can throw your peanut shells on the floor. (Don't know how much of a kick that will be for girls.) The food menu is pretty much typical American fare and they brew their own beers there.

For wings, you'll want to try either the place where it all began the Anchor Bar on Main Street or else Duff's on Sheridan Dr.

For the other classic Buffalo food, Beef on Weck, try Schwabl's on Center off Transit. They also have excellent Birch Beer which the kids might like. It's a LOT better than the BoW you get at the rink.

For fast food type restaurants, Mighty Taco and Ted's Hot Dogs are two local staples. There is a Mighty near each mall I mentioned and Ted's is near Eastern Hills.

Chef's is also a good restaurant and is closer to downtown than the others I mentioned.

Guest B Papa in C-town

When I'm in town (it's been a few years) I love Rocco's tacos, La Nova's wings and the best pizza I ever ate was a pie from Blasdell Pizza (although i still can't understand why Buffalonies have to say "Cheese" and Pep for a pepperoni pie)...btw that pie was double cheese and pep, and double sauce and sausage...each slice weighed five pounds and was washed down by a cold beverage at the warsaw in Lackawanna, and everyone was super happy because the dolphins got crushed by the jags in the playoffs that day!

For wings, you'll want to try either the place where it all began the Anchor Bar on Main Street or else Duff's on Sheridan Dr.

LaNova's BBQ wings are the city's best.

Flappy's on Delaware and Chippeawa has all you can eat wings Sat evenings. And a nice breakfast buffet sunday mornings.

Chef's for a nice Italian dinner.

Jim's Steak out for a awesome loaded hoagy.

For a great Buffalo pub style dinner try Pappa Jakes on Elmwood near Amherst. Try the meatloaf you won't be sorry. They also have seafood if you like. Their wings can stand up to anyone's in the city.

And a new place that just opened up is Baja Fish Taco on Transit, 2 minutes from the Eastern Hills Mall. Great, fresh tasting mexican food.

Good Luck.

Archived