Trade Rumors

mis3384

sportsline...has ATL trying to trade for Biron and the Sabres trying to trade Jillson.

Trade: Biron & Jillson to ATL for Stefan & Popovic

----If need, give ATL a draft pick or trade Peters too

----Just a thought !!!

I t might be an even swap but I don't see how it helps the Sabres really ... it's a swap of minor-league defensemen and then Biron for Stefan ... as was said on another thread by dave_b I believe, Stefan is a thiirdline center who has been a bust so far ... who does he replace? Do they give up on connolly? They are both disappointments, what's the difference? Plus you have to bring him in and try to get him to buy into the bust your ass, play both ends, help kill penalties roll they have connolly trying to play. Sounds like the Sabres would be taking someone else's underachieving problem off their hands and in return solving their goaltending problem ... why do that for a team you might battle for a playoff spot with? I just don't get it.

The Sabres do not need another forward, they really don't, unless you are talking a first-line guy that everyone could always use. They need to upgrade the defense. The only way they should bail atlanta out is if they can get Andy Sutton.

Here are the three "rumors" that I've seen recently:

1) TSN's Bob McKenzie saying that the Sabres aren't shopping any of their goalies and aren't really talking with teams that are calling about a goalie.

2) Eklund says that the Sabres are trading Biron to Atlanta and that the Sabres want to get Mark Popovic. FYI, Popovic got called up by Atlanta on Saturday as Andy Sutton got hit with a 4 game suspension.

3) Code is saying that the Sabres are close to sending Noronen to Atlanta for a 2nd round pick.

The other thing to factor is in the fact that the Kovalchuk contract has put the Thrashers really close to the salary cap.

With Biron making $2.128 million, the Thrashers would likely have to move more than merely Popovic who only makes $600k.

Andy Sutton makes $1.8 million, but I doubt he's a guy that would really interest Buffalo all that much.

Here are the three "rumors" that I've seen recently:

1) TSN's Bob McKenzie saying that the Sabres aren't shopping any of their goalies and aren't really talking with teams that are calling about a goalie.

2) Eklund says that the Sabres are trading Biron to Atlanta and that the Sabres want to get Mark Popovic. FYI, Popovic got called up by Atlanta on Saturday as Andy Sutton got hit with a 4 game suspension.

3) Code is saying that the Sabres are close to sending Noronen to Atlanta for a 2nd round pick.

The other thing to factor is in the fact that the Kovalchuk contract has put the Thrashers really close to the salary cap.

With Biron making $2.128 million, the Thrashers would likely have to move more than merely Popovic who only makes $600k.

Andy Sutton makes $1.8 million, but I doubt he's a guy that would really interest Buffalo all that much.

#1 is not true.

#2 is Eklund. Take it for what it's worth.

#3 is what the Buffalo News stated the Thrashers were offering 2 weeks ago. Buffalo didn't think it was good enough then (if that was in fact the offer), Atlanta becoming more desperate does not make it a better offer.

Salary cap issues:

As I've posted on another thread, the Thrashers are close to $36MM w/ Lehtonin and Hnidy on IR and not counting against the cap. They'd be just about $37MM with those 2 and would be over $38.5 w/ Marty and those 2 healthy.

I think Buffalo would have a lot of interest in Sutton.

I think Buffalo would have a lot of interest in Sutton.

Why?

Sutton seems to be the type of defenseman that the Sabres have been moving away from and not towards with the "New NHL" opening things up and putting a premium on being able to skate.

Sutton's big and has been able to put up some decent offensive numbers for a guy his size, but I don't see the draw from the Sabres' POV.

Now if the talk was the Sabres were holding out for Modry to try and ignite the PP, then I'd see the fit.

Why?

Sutton seems to be the type of defenseman that the Sabres have been moving away from and not towards with the "New NHL" opening things up and putting a premium on being able to skate.

Sutton's big and has been able to put up some decent offensive numbers for a guy his size, but I don't see the draw from the Sabres' POV.

Now if the talk was the Sabres were holding out for Modry to try and ignite the PP, then I'd see the fit.

I like Sutton. As you say, he's huge and has put up decent offensive numbers. He logs a lot of ice time for Atlanta. He plays physical. From the few times I've watched him, he seems to skate well for a D-man that big.

I think he could pair up well with McKee. I think he would be an upgrade over Tallinder or Campbell and he has more offensive upside than Fitzpatrick. (Not to say I don't like Fitzpatrick, I just think he would give Lindy some more at the offensive end of the rink than Rory can provide while still playing reasonably well in his own end.)

To be honest, he's a little older than I thought he was, so he may not be as attractive to the Sabres as I initially thought. I would still consider making the trade if it was offered as it would help Buffalo's D and weaken Atlanta's.

I don't know if he is signed through next year, but the Sabres might have problems signing McKee next season; if he is signed through next year, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one other large physical defenseman in the fold.

Can Sutton play on the right side, though?

The Sabres are already having to play Lydman, and at time Tallinder, on the right side even though he's a right handed shot.

And I don't know how much of Sutton's numbers are him and him having played with Kovalchuk and Heatley over the years.

If the Sabres had moved McKee, then I could see the fit.

But right now, I don't see Sutton as a guy the Sabres would want to add. Especially at $1.8 million.

For that kind of cash, I'm guessing Regier would much prefer someone that could be a legit PP QB and not the shell of one that Numminen has been thus far.

Guys, i don't even know why we're argueing about this, the rumour of Martin Biron going for Mark Popovic is definetly not true. Popovic is like a Jeff Jillson! We don't need another defensman like that, we need someone who can help us, not someone who can help Rochester.

Guys, i don't even know why we're argueing about this, the rumour of Martin Biron going for Mark Popovic is definetly not true. Popovic is like a Jeff Jillson! We don't need another defensman like that, we need someone who can help us, not someone who can help Rochester.

agreed... we need experience at this point... youth is good... and we got LOTS... now we need players that can help to develop it. even if we got just 1... id be happy.

Those 3 options suck. I would want a decent player that can contribute right away for Mika or Marty. Not some 2nd rounder!

I concur. IMO the Sabres are getting torched on all 3 of those offers.

The Sabres need to be patient and let the offers build. There are a lot of teams that wouldn't mind having one of our goalies. With a salary cap in place teams will consider purging a player just for salary reasons.

Archived