GAME DISCUSSION (5/24/2006)

Corp000085

Carolina at Buffalo...

I had to make the thread early. I've got class till 7:00pm tonight, and its tight getting home in time to just watch the game.

Anyhow my thoughts on the game?? I was scared, very scared on monday night. The sabres lost, and the canes looked pretty dominating in their win. However, we did take control of the 3rd period, and the canes were unable to wrestle control from us till the clock struck 0:00. The sabres will come out hard and strong, however, the canes are not the senators. they're no pushover. Look for a 3-2 sabres victory tonight... However, miller traditionally gets a shutout or a 1 goal game after letting in 4 or 5, so it could be a lopsided victory tonight. However, if the sabres let up for one bit, it the canes can easily win this game... We've never seen the sabres down in a series, so we don't know if they have the heart to come back. I certainly don't want to find out. GO SABRES!

Ok, i obviously wrote the above bit early this morning. 5:48am... wow... anyhow, now that i know about the novotny for vanek, roy moving to the drury/grier line, kotalik moving to the afinogenov +novotny line, and jillson for janik (two guys i know nothing about besides that jillson apparently is bigger and has a better shot), i believe the sabres will come out and match the carolina game #2 physical style. I also think that roy benefits from being with drury and grier. Grier is the guy to clear the net, and roy seems quicker than kotalik down low, looking for the pass from drury. Now that captain float, aka thomas vanek (a guy who i can't even remember since his dean youngblood shootout move on hasek months ago) is off the ice, maybe max will pick up his game on that novotny line.

Which brings me to novotny--he's slower than vanek, but in the chances he's had, novotny brings heart and grit. He's a PK guy, and a banger. He's obviously fresh, and very hungry.

Now, carolina is still not a pushover like philly and ottawa were, so i expect this to not be lopsided, but i see the sabres coming out with at least a HUGE effort. Huge efforts usually equal goals for the sabres.

Oh yeah, lindy has called out briere, dumont, and hecht so expect them to at least show up tonight??

Well, i have class till 7 w ith a 30 minute drive to home... i'll be racing to get home before the puck drops. GO SABRES!

Don't drive too fast. It would be a shame to have something, you know, unfortunate happen just a few weeks before, you know, some really fortunate happens. And you'd be taking a dirt nap. I'm not going to miss it. I find myself chewing my food really well lately, taking the stairs very carefully, etc.. :)

ha pa...

anyways, its 1-1 after 1

same score as game 2, except this time the sabres are kicking some major ass. There was no letdown after the fluke carolina goal off of mckee. We got it back, now we have a PP on fresh ice for about 1:55. The sabres NEED to score a goal here to make the canes think. If the canes survive, or start to take over the play, the sabres will be in major trouble. Lindy must preach that they have to get the first goal in the 2nd period.

With that said, i was very impressed with the play of the team. Despite all the penalties and 4 on 4 situations, they held the canes to minimal chances. The sabres, on the other hand, dominated play throughout the first. They just HAVE TO SCORE FIRST AND EARLY IN THE SECOND. get it done guys!

ok, after 2, its 4-2 buffalo with buffalo taking complete control of the game, and the body. they absolutely umbergered every single hurricane for about a 3 minute period... not to mention the 30 shots on goal overall, and the 3 PP goals. wow... unbelievable period. I'll take the timely goals and HUGE hits over 9 finesse goals anyday... Wow...

For the 3rd period... Look for the sabres to fall back from the forecheck, but to keep hitting hard in the neutral zone and backchecking.

Oh, and lindy, please call out briere after every game???

I find myself chewing my food really well lately...

I would make someone test that food for you 1st... It seems to me you are taking some mighty big risks by going it alone.

Might have been Mike Grier's worst shift all year long right there...nearly turns the puck over for a 2-on-1 and then gets blasted by his own guy...maybe that will wake him up...

ok, 4-3 final

after coming on strong in the 1st, completely pwnening them in the 2nd, they let up in the 3rd and it resulted in a close game... It's on for friday now... They can seize this series if they keep up the intensity... Still waiting on word about tallinder though. that would be a huge loss, maybe bigger than teppo...

Jillson? great game for a playoff debut, eh?

Danny Briere? Way to show up big guy!

Dumont? You're showing signs of waking up... maybe game 4 will be your game

Afinogenov? Roy? stop the 2nd move and just shoot the puck.

AWESOME AWESOME VICTORY. Friday is a statment game. stick the dagger in and twist.