Goalie trade ...

BetweenThePipes00

I am watching on Center Ice package and the Florida announcers just said they talked to Regier and he told them he IS actively pursuing a goalie trade and atlanta has called but he said "EMPHATICALLY" (their word) that he would NOT trade inside the conference ...

not in the conference...unless you make it worth our while. You'd definitely want something special if you trade in conference.

PTR

I am watching on Center Ice package and the Florida announcers just said they talked to Regier and he told them he IS actively pursuing a goalie trade and atlanta has called but he said "EMPHATICALLY" (their word) that he would NOT trade inside the conference ...

Damn I'm good.

linky

Can you feel that, huh, huh? ;)

I still want to evaluate the trade in a couple of years. If Peca were still here under the cotract that he got from the Isles everyone would be bitchin about a 15 goal scorer makin 4 mil a year. Atleast Connelly and Pyatt are still young and might have a chance to develop into something. :)

I still want to evaluate the trade in a couple of years. If Peca were still here under the cotract that he got from the Isles everyone would be bitchin about a 15 goal scorer makin 4 mil a year. Atleast Connelly and Pyatt are still young and might have a chance to develop into something. :)

I don't think you fully understand the relationship between Peca and the fans.

Sure, some fans will always compalin about any player that makes more then they do. For the most part Peca was the perfect Buffalo type player. Small, tough, physical with a bit of a scoring touch. He was the last true Sabre Captain.

I don't think you fully understand the relationship between Peca and the fans.

Sure, some fans will always compalin about any player that makes more then they do. For the most part Peca was the perfect Buffalo type player. Small, tough, physical with a bit of a scoring touch. He was the last true Sabre Captain.

Between the Ted Nolan shafting and the Peca disgrace, it was almost enough to end my love of the Sabres, it was very hard for me to stomach............Any saying things about Peca does not truly understand hockey............Hell of a hitter, great on faceoffs, and when on a line with some talent, he can get points.............When he went to the Isles he was on a line with Mark Parrish and they called the line the lucky sevens, they were doing very well, then the coach switched Peca for Yashin, (Yashin biggest overrated piece of crap ever)...........Then Peca got his knee blown out by a cheap shot from Darcy Tucker< a real true bastard...........I agree with you man, he was the last true Captain of the Sabres............ B-)

No kidding ... like the guy on here taking shots at Drury ... he's not Peca, but his value is not measured in goals alone ...

Speaking of which, I loved what Drury and Briere had to say after the loss last night ..

Drury on the late penalty: "I don't have a problem with the penalty," Buffalo's Chris Drury said. "What I have a problem with is us not killing it."

Briere: "I thought it was a lazy effort," he said. "Maybe we were too confident, but it wasn't a sustained effort."

No excuses. I would have liked to hear Miller step up an take responsibility too instead of complaining about the penalty, but I suppose me may have said more that was not printed ...

No kidding ... like the guy on here taking shots at Drury ... he's not Peca, but his value is not measured in goals alone ...

Speaking of which, I loved what Drury and Briere had to say after the loss last night ..

Drury on the late penalty: "I don't have a problem with the penalty," Buffalo's Chris Drury said. "What I have a problem with is us not killing it."

Briere: "I thought it was a lazy effort," he said. "Maybe we were too confident, but it wasn't a sustained effort."

No excuses. I would have liked to hear Miller step up an take responsibility too instead of complaining about the penalty, but I suppose me may have said more that was not printed ...

I'm not a Drury fan. He shows signs here and there but he doesn't bring it every night.

I guess he had some personal problems last season played and that prevented him from showing up every night. Hopefully that's behind him and we get a full season of Drury at his best. He's been OK so far. Not great. Just OK.

And we all know Satan brought it every night...

Different type of player.

Satan's job was to carry the offense for the Sabres. And he did. He even was a pretty good penalty killer when called upon.

Drury's rep is of a hard nosed, lunch pail, bring it every night guy. I don't know if he has done that with the Sabres. Like I said, I heard talk of some personal problems which may have distracted him over time. I hope for the teams sake those problems are behind him and the Sabres get the player from the rep not the scaled down version we watched so far. He's off to a good start so maybe that a sign of things to come.

Different type of player.

Satan's job was to carry the offense for the Sabres. And he did. He even was a pretty good penalty killer when called upon.

Drury's rep is of a hard nosed, lunch pail, bring it every night guy. I don't know if he has done that with the Sabres. Like I said, I heard talk of some personal problems which may have distracted him over time. I hope for the teams sake those problems are behind him and the Sabres get the player from the rep not the scaled down version we watched so far. He's off to a good start so maybe that a sign of things to come.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but I don't remember Drury not playing hard nosed in '03-'04. Yes, he did have 4 stretches of scoring slumps (5 games each), but he ended with 53 points and as you have mentioned, he brings a lot to the team besides scoring. If you have a particular stretch of games or a game in mind, please let me know, but as I said, I don't recall the slacking.

Miro on the other hand, took all of November and the 1st half of December off after they took the C away from him. (2 goals (both against Washington) and 1 assist, a 9 game and a 7 game scoreless streak) He also had 2 other scoring slumps, including 5 straight games without scoring down the stretch. Miro "carried" the offense with 4 more points than Drury did and didn't help when they needed him the most at the end of the season.

i like these quotes as well... at least there making part of the team accountable... the penalty killing wasn't consistant... at least someone is to blame... hopefully they pick it up next game.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but I don't remember Drury not playing hard nosed in '03-'04. Yes, he did have 4 stretches of scoring slumps (5 games each), but he ended with 53 points and as you have mentioned, he brings a lot to the team besides scoring. If you have a particular stretch of games or a game in mind, please let me know, but as I said, I don't recall the slacking.

Miro on the other hand, took all of November and the 1st half of December off after they took the C away from him. (2 goals (both against Washington) and 1 assist, a 9 game and a 7 game scoreless streak) He also had 2 other scoring slumps, including 5 straight games without scoring down the stretch. Miro "carried" the offense with 4 more points than Drury did and didn't help when they needed him the most at the end of the season.

Dave?

Miro carried this offense for five years. Not just the last season played. And I never said Miro was a show up every night player. He is a player who for the most part was the only scorer this team had for a long period of time. But fans seem to forget that. Fans, which is their nature, always want the new toy(Drury & Briere) and discard the old toy. Miro was here for the Cup run and has done alot for this team. When you get a new player I guess that stuff doesn't matter. Now that's loyalty.

Drury on the other hand was absent for much of the last season. He had many stretches of being a non-factor. I'm not just talking scoreboard. His physical game was missing as well. He may be a victim here of his on rep. But for a team that is said to be penny wise I expect more from the teams only $3 million player. He's been OK. Not great. Just OK.

Dave?

Miro carried this offense for five years. Not just the last season played. And I never said Miro was a show up every night player. He is a player who for the most part was the only scorer this team had for a long period of time. But fans seem to forget that. Fans, which is their nature, always want the new toy(Drury & Briere) and discard the old toy. Miro was here for the Cup run and has done alot for this team. When you get a new player I guess that stuff doesn't matter. Now that's loyalty.

Drury on the other hand was absent for much of the last season. He had many stretches of being a non-factor. I'm not just talking scoreboard. His physical game was missing as well. He may be a victim here of his on rep. But for a team that is said to be penny wise I expect more from the teams only $3 million player. He's been OK. Not great. Just OK.

Look, I'm not saying anything about Miro's play in seasons previous to '03-'04. In those, he was what he was; a VERY streaky goal scorer that was still an effective penalty killer when he wasn't scoring goals. Except on the penalty kill, he was typically a liability in his own end, but there are very few goal scorers that aren't. (They don't get paid to keep the puck out of their own net, much to the coach's gastroenterologist's delight.) I kept my comments to last season, because that is when both Miro and Drury were in Sabres uniforms.

I don't agree that Drury was absent most of the last season. That's why I asked for some examples of when you felt he was MIA. I could be mistaken. I didn't think that Drury was a stud, but I did feel that he was solid. I don't think that Drury ever was going to be the stud that he was talked up to be, nor that he ever will be that player. He won't get you 50 goals or 90 points, but he should get you 20-25 and 50-70; with a lot of those being clutch. He also will do a lot of the little things like win faceoffs and break up plays with strong backchecking.

I'm not a Drury fan. He shows signs here and there but he doesn't bring it every night.

I guess he had some personal problems last season played and that prevented him from showing up every night. Hopefully that's behind him and we get a full season of Drury at his best. He's been OK so far. Not great. Just OK.

damn hell that was near positive. *faints*

Take it for what it's worth - he's definately been wrong before...

Eklund reporting the Sabres are about to trade Marty Biron to Atlanta for Mark Popovic.

Call me skeptical. The Chicago Wolves, Atlanta's AHL team, has just signed Steve Shields to a tryout deal. If he works out ok in the next week, the Thrashers could sign him to an NHL deal and call him up.

Canada.com

I don't agree that Drury was absent most of the last season. That's why I asked for some examples of when you felt he was MIA.

How about these numbers?

Goalless streaks of :

8 games where he was -1

10 games where he was -3

Those two streakes are combined for a 1 for 19 stretch.

A six game stretch where he -2

Followed by a five game stretch where he was -4

Then another eight game streak where he was at least a +2.

He was goalless over the final four but he was at least a +5.

The Sabres could have used some goals during those stretches.

How about these numbers?

Goalless streaks of :

8 games where he was -1

10 games where he was -3

Those two streakes are combined for a 1 for 19 stretch.

A six game stretch where he -2

Followed by a five game stretch where he was -4

Then another eight game streak where he was at least a +2.

He was goalless over the final four but he was at least a +5.

The Sabres could have used some goals during those stretches.

You may have the stats handy. How did the rest of the team look during those stretches?

They had a decent 2nd half and finished 3 games above .500 on the year. If Drury would have showed up a little more who knows?

I'm talking about that combined 1 for 19. What did the rest of the team look like during that stretch? I'm willing to bet they all sucked.

Archived