GAME DISCUSSION (5/22/2006)

It's officially Monday! Let's have at 'em.

While I still feel Buffalo takes this series in 5 or 6 games, I've got a hunch that Game 2 goes to the Canes.

Carolina squeaks a couple funny deflections past Miller, and also score one on a breakaway. For whatever reason, Buffalo's shots seem to be drawn to the pipes, as we hit the crossbar once and ring shots off the metal 3 different times. Buffalo isn't really outplayed, we just can't find a way to get the puck in the net.

Carolina 4-1 (EN goal for the Canes. Drury for Buffalo).

I think you will see a tighter score than that, yet I think the scoring will open up a little bit more on both sides. Buffalo's D will be tested, and I think you will see more of that wave after wave action from the Canes like you did in the first and moreso in the third. I do think the Canes will take this - and I expect this series to go at least 6 games - but I think it will be more like a 5-4, or 4-3 game.

If Edmonton can steal two, why can't we. I like the Sabres to win 2-0. I think this is the game that breaks their spirit. Canes throw 35-40 shots at the net and come up empty. I look for Dumont to score a PP goal and Afinogenov to notch an empty netter. This will be a nail biter as the entire third period will be played in the Buffalo zone with 18-20 shots on goal.

wjag's prediction has the ring of truth to me in many respects. I'll go with 4-2 Sabres with Briere's line continuing to be highly effective and Roy-Max-Vanek getting something going. I definitely see Carolina swarming like crazy in the 3rd but Miller, cool as a cucumber, holding them off until we get the empty netter.

go sabres.

If Edmonton can steal two, why can't we. I like the Sabres to win 2-0. I think this is the game that breaks their spirit. Canes throw 35-40 shots at the net and come up empty. I look for Dumont to score a PP goal and Afinogenov to notch an empty netter. This will be a nail biter as the entire third period will be played in the Buffalo zone with 18-20 shots on goal.

I'm headed the opposite way based on Lindy's comments (ofcourse, most of the time Lindy is fibbing) that the best defense is to take the game into the Carolina zone.

I say 5-3 or 5-4, Buffalo.

I thought Carolina would take game 1 but the Sabres won. So why break with tradition? (I am as superstitious as they come). Canes win 4-2 against a tired Buffalo defense and team that will take risks to steal the second game of the series before it swings to Buffalo.

As much I'd love to see a 2-0 lead coming back to Bflo, I'm afraid that Hartford Carolina will play their best hockey and send the series back to Bflo tied. We're out 2 of our better D in Teppo and Dimitri and Carolina will be pulling out all of the stops. I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but I'm still liking that we took home-ice advantage away from them if it does. It would be a race to 3 wins with 3 games in our barn and 2 at RBC.

I like the Sabres' chances series-wise (ie, I expect them to beat Carolina in 5 games). Hopefully tonight's score will be Sabres 4-2, but my gut tells me it'll be a 3-2 Hartford Carolina win - their only of the series.

I always thought this would be a tough series. Tonight, with the Sabres down 2 defensemen, it sgoing to be really tough for them to pull out another victory on the road. I think Buffalo wins the series in 7, but tonight's game goes the 'Canes way as they win 5-3 with an empty netter in a close one.

We look absolutely terrible through two periods. Hopefully we can come out in the third and at least attempt to even up the shots and maybe the goals. We neeed to at least build some momentum in the third to bring into game three back in buffalo.

They should be friggin EMBARRASSED by their 2nd period performance - there are a whole lot of Sabres who aren't going to want to see the tape of that period.

I hope someone closes the lockerroom door and lights into the team - if you get beat by a better team that's one thing, but getting outshot 16-4 because you aren't paying the price to get the puck out of the zone, that's inexcusable.

End rant...

Has Thomas Vanek been abducted by aliens?

He was the best Sabre on the ice for most of the 2nd, and that ain't saying much...

It is pretty tough for the defense with only five players actually playing.

If we don't get either Numminen or Kalinin back soon, Carolina might wear down our D and we could be in big trouble. Not saying Janik or Rory are the problem tonight, just saying Car is going to keep beating up McKee, Lydman, Campbell & co. until they start turning over the puck all over the place.

What I hate about both OLN and NBC is the anouncers refuse to do play by play. They spend the whole game telling meaningless stories, someone needs to tell these anouncers that this isnt a football game and most people apreciate play by play in hockey.