To Cap or Not to Cap

Guest Tarrytown

Guest Tarrytown

As Sabre fans which option do you think makes best sense for our team:

A) the Players now rejected offer or

B) A Hard Cap

No matter how much I hate the Commish...I have to side with a hard cap...it works in football...the nonsense in the NBA is just fools work for lawyers.

What do ya'll think?

Guest TopShelf

Not! The problem with the salary cap is basically, that it's . Take a look at the NFL cap. It increases 3-4 Million every year, and there are a multitude of ways to circumvent it. Signing bonuses don't count against the cap, so the richer teams/owners can always hand out huge signing bonuses to players to lure them. The playing field still won't be level. Worse yet, the team pays dearly for indiscretionary spending and bad decisions made by the management, AFTER THE FACT. So using Quinn and Regier as our model(gulp) they sign player X for too much money, with a lot of deferred salary. Player X doesn't pan out, so he's sent packing. No, the Sabres are taking a salary cap hit for player X, who isn't even on the team. The salary cap has way-layed several teams in the NFL. I know this is a hockey board, but example A is the San Fransicso 49ers, worst team in the NFL. No $$$ to bring new talent in, becuase Carmen Policy, previous GM, made several horrendous Free agency moves and now the team is buried in deferred payments to former players. The Owners f-ed up the salary structure to begin with, why would a salry cap make them any more accountable?

Just my 2 cents...

Problem with this post? Email the moderator.

Guest Parrotfish

Top Shelf- you're thoughts are misguided. The point you cite are EXACTLY why a cap WORKS in the NFL. First, the cap is a formula based on revenues, and it goes up because the NFL is making beaucop $$$$. They just extended their TV deal last month for a gigantic increase! That said, yes you can play games with the cap w/signing bonus. But most teams don't do this as it is simply too punitive! The 49ers are paying now for past transgressions. Remember the NFL cap has only been around for 11 years and there was a feeling out period initially. Teams overspent but now teams are much more judicious in FA signings. The bottom line is the cap works, and most teams feel at the start of every season that they have a chance. This is not true in hockey. The Sabres were only really competitive when they had the best goalie in hockey, but couldn't afford anyone else. The insnity must stop..ie the players should switch to playing football if they want to be paid like football players, or the NHL will perish. If a league ever needed a cap its the NHL. The owners know a winning team is essential to making money. So the richest overspend and make it up at the gate. Teams like Buffalo can't so this. There is no balance. A cap levels the playing field.

Guest ForgotmyName

Just to clarify soemthing, the signing bonus in the NFL DOES count against the cap. It is just weighted over the years of the contract. The reason for the bonus is instant gratification to lure the player into signing, along with the fact that the NFL DOES NOT HAVE guaranteed contracts. So the players are assured of so much money as a minumum over the first few years of the deal. No NFL team will lock up 30 or so million and cut the player in the 2nd year. In the latter years of the deal that's another story.

Also, the hit of the signing bonus never leaves the team that gave it, even if the player is traded or cut.

In short, if they don't end up with a cap, I won't bother to pay attention to the NHL ever again because the Sabres will never again be competitive. The cap is the only way to save this leauge.

In short, if they don't end up with a cap, I won't bother to pay attention to the NHL ever again because the Sabres will never again be competitive. The cap is the only way to save this leauge.

Im a Sabres fan, but think about something else too:

Tampa Bay played the Calgary Flames in last year's Stanley Cup, 2 big markets??? :blink:

Ottawa is a legitimate contender, and have been for a few years now.

I just think the salaries AND tickets both got too high, and the system needs to be fixed for reasons other then competitive balance.

Archived