Only knock so far...

PromoTheRobot

The power play, especially 5-on-3, seems to be the only hole in the Sabres right now. What's odd is they seem to control the puck well, they just can't get a shot through. Correct me if I'm wrong, but have we scored a goal while on a 2-man advantage yet? I couldn't believe we didn't score one in Tampa in OT, playing with two extra man for almost two minutes. Is it just bad luck, or are they doing something wrong?

PTR

In the first game or two they were not only controlling the puck but also getting shots on the power play. I think that contributed significantly to the healthy advantage we have had in SOG. The last couple of games the power play has regressed - hard to believe it's possible - because of the lack of shots, although ringing it off the post is a cheap way to reduce the shot stat.

I'm concerned that the power play is an achilles heel. It has been "broken" for much of Ruff's administration. He may not be capable of "fixing" it. Especially in the "new" NHL where someone is repeatedly on the power play we are squandering a great opportunity. We'll lose alot of games if we continue to go scoreless on the power play.

The thing I don't understand about it is that they're taking a ton of shots 5 on 5. They're throwing the puck at the net all the time and trying to pounce on a rebound. Why does this game plan not carry over to the power play? Stop trying to make the perfect backdoor pass they're always looking for and take a few more shots. If they could actually convert on the power play, they'd be walking away with 7-2 wins.

At home, Sabres are about where I expected them to be on pp and pk (14th and 10th). They are doing much worse than I expected on the road, tied for dead last in pp w/ 0 goals and tied for 2nd worst on pk w/ 3 GA in 7 opportunities.

The good news is that they ARE getting it done (at least to their normal standards) at home. They just need to figure out how to play the same way on the road. I doubt they will get the pp working against Fla w/ Luongo in there, but hopefully they can put it together against Boston. If they don't have ST's working, they will lose against the B's.

The thing I don't understand about it is that they're taking a ton of shots 5 on 5. They're throwing the puck at the net all the time and trying to pounce on a rebound. Why does this game plan not carry over to the power play? Stop trying to make the perfect backdoor pass they're always looking for and take a few more shots. If they could actually convert on the power play, they'd be walking away with 7-2 wins.

Exactly! Too much passing and not enough shooting from the point. Just keep launching rockets from the point. That being said, I'm not sure our players are proficient at the "one-time" shots. Too much stopping the pass and then shooting vs. one-timers.

The inept power play is nothing new for this team. I've been wanting to see them hire a power play coach for years because I don't have confidence that Ruff, Arneal, etc. have the knack for coaching the PP.

Archived