getting impatient with Drury

bottlecap

And anyone who would make that "New England Country Club" crack doesn't know Chris Drury, either as a person or as a hockey player.

I object! I thought that "New England Country Club" crack was a pretty good

turn of a phrase...and pretty fitting.

I'm willing to give Chris a chance this year but from what I've seen so far, it looks

like '03-04 all over again. Just frustrating misses. That 'intangibles' thing doesn't

really do it for me. I realize this is early in the game, and the first year here

he (and the franchise) were pretty much up in the air.

Maybe he has to be surrounded by superstars like he was in CO.

and is a natural 5th or 6th banana, not a 1st or 2nd banana. This is what I

suspet. Darcy went out and tailor-made a line for him, with 1-2 people he helped

to hand-pick. Not too often players get to have input acquiring

their own linemates. Hopefully they'll (Drury-Grier-Hecht) be able to re-enact the

chemistry they had while on other teams together.

But I'm sick of athletes who go to Bflo and don't play up to their abilities because

'they're not happy'. Like Mogilny at the end of his tenure here. All I can say is:

"WAH." That sour look on his mush doesn't help.

A few clutch goals or assists and all is forgiven. ;)

The reason people objected to the NE country club remark is that it implies a lack of effort, which it pure crap. How is he getting all these great chances if he's not working hard? He needs to finish better, but about 15 guys on that team have the same problem. He's never been a 50-goal guy and he never will be. The intangibles thing doesn't do it for you? he wins faceoffs, kills penalties, sticks his nose into the corners ... it's not like he talks the talk and doesn't walk the walk, he leads by example every night.

The guy never said he wasn't happy in Buffalo ... 3 full years ago he said he wasn't happy to be traded again ... where to had nothing to do with it. Let it go. Since he got to Buffalo he has never complained about anything except Satan's lack of effort.

I'm babbling ...I'm sorry ... just baffles me that Drury is the one you singled out for ridicule on this team ...

The reason people objected to the NE country club remark is that it implies a lack of effort, which it pure crap. How is he getting all these great chances if he's not working hard? He needs to finish better, but about 15 guys on that team have the same problem. He's never been a 50-goal guy and he never will be. The intangibles thing doesn't do it for you? he wins faceoffs, kills penalties, sticks his nose into the corners ... it's not like he talks the talk and doesn't walk the walk, he leads by example every night.

The guy never said he wasn't happy in Buffalo ... 3 full years ago he said he wasn't happy to be traded again ... where to had nothing to do with it. Let it go. Since he got to Buffalo he has never complained about anything except Satan's lack of effort.

I'm babbling ...I'm sorry ... just baffles me that Drury is the one you singled out for ridicule on this team ...

Sorry I haven't been back to the board since this was posted, but I just wanted to say you hit the nail on the head about everything. Especially the part about only complaining about Satan. The entire team hated Miro but it was Drury who went to the coaches and made it clear. He played with Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg and Jarome Iginla, so he knows the difference between those guys and a jaker like Satan. The kind of guy Drury is, he can't abide a player who shows up (at most) every other game and racks up most of his points in blowouts.

I like Drury's effort.

But, you need more than effort for the type of paycheck the Sabres are paying Drury.

Drury's less than stellar production in 03-04 was attributed to his having his first child on the way. And I can understand that.

But, there is no reason for his struggles this year.

And I'm guessing that Chris would be the first person to say that as well.

I'm just hoping that Drury wakes up offensively, Vanek starts hitting the back of hte net, the PP improves, and the defense tightens up soon.

Maybe some of your impression stems from the comments he made right after Calgary traded him, which I interpreted to be frustration with Calgary and Colorado, not any displeasure with Buffalo. He'd just been traded twice in a year's time, a stressful year in which he got engaged, got married, and he and his wife were expecting a child. These guys are people, too, remember.

thats exactly it... thanks for clarifying that for me... thats what i was trying to get at.

When you are the top priced guy on a team that refuses to spend money the spot light is on you.

Except for a game here and a game there I never came away with the thinking that Drury was the best player on the ice. As "co-Captain" it's up to him to produce. Drury is here to be a complete player. Physical, good defensively and score some points. That's his rep. Drury has been good for the most part. But when your the top guy? Good isn't enough.

That's fine, I hear your side DeLuca ... the part I had a problem with was the "country club" remark by the guy who started the thread, like the guy didn't give a crap and was just happy to collect a check. If anything, Drury starts pressing and makes it worse because he does care. Say he has sucked so far, but don't say he ain't playing hard.

That's fine, I hear your side DeLuca ... the part I had a problem with was the "country club" remark by the guy who started the thread, like the guy didn't give a crap and was just happy to collect a check. If anything, Drury starts pressing and makes it worse because he does care. Say he has sucked so far, but don't say he ain't playing hard.

That's Buffalo for you. Take Ray for example. Fans loved him. I didn't, I never saw the point in a cement head who played 2 1/2 minutes a game. But other fans did. Why? he never made the big money. He was just another slug making what he can doing what he can like the rest of us. In a way he was closer to the fans, not just because he watched 99.9% of the games from a seat on the bench. Had Ray signed a big contract things would have been different. There would have been expectations based on the money. That is what Drury faces. If Drury was making $1 or $2 million he would be a great find.

Look at Satan. When he was making less money everyone loved him. He decides he wants to cash in and fans turn. What can I say other than that's Buffalo Sports for you.

everyone who's pissed about all the hype marketing gave drury suddenly think its all drury's fault.

Drury is here to be a Leader, a hard worker who sets a good example, a defensive strength and to score a few points (by the way, our points are all coming from Briere, Vanek, and Afinogenov and lydman so its not just drury). scoring will improve, its only game 6. we need more from alot of our team. im more worried about our defense.

Were's hecht? what about connelly? what about kotalik? Grier? Dumont?

Archived